Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Watson's street works wiring kit-read me before you start
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Watson's street works wiring kit-read me before you start Reply with quote

Well I just finished the install of a Watsons street works kit in my 68 bug and while it is still fresh on my mind share a few thoughts, trips, and info with those that are thinking of doing this upgrade. So here goes,

1st, this is a kit put together and built by American Autowire using there Comp 16 fuse panel for Watsons streetworks and is supposed to be a customized kit for the VW bug. I know this because I had a technical question regarding the turn signal configuration and called both watsons and American autowire. American autowire was able to answer my questions and get me going again. The schematics on AAW website are the same ones that come with the kit.

2nd, this kit is put together with an American front engine car in mind. The custom part of the kit is the very few references to switch terminals as they relate to the VW but otherwise it’s a generic kit for an American car. For example the bag that comes with the wires for the dash and instruments have connectors with wires for all the normal things but the wires are only long enough for a front engine car so you have to use the extra left over wires to run to the rear. Ended up cutting several of these and using the wire elsewhere.

3rd, the instruction are very vague about how to hook up the turn signals and hazard flashers. This took some thinking! Your old flasher relay gets chunked! Trust in the fuse box. The hazards and turns use the same flasher and are wired together internally in the fuse box (which you can't see and can't determine with an OHm meter).

4th, very good quality wire, fuse box and connectors.

5th, don’t overthink this like I did. I consider myself to be very good at electrical and wiring and sometimes think too deeply. Think American when you start wiring and follow the schematics except for the ones I have attached below for the hazard turn system and headlights.

6th, Those who have done this and said they did it in a day must have done something differently than I did. This took me a serious week to get in and look factory. I heatshrinked everything and tried to run it like factory.

7th, buy a role of 3/8, ½, and ¾ heat shrink before you start and a bag of tie wraps

8th, run all the long wires to the back of the car 1st including your extras

9 – use my schematics and save yourself some headaches, don’t forget to buy a couple of extra universal relays, one for the fuel pump and one to reverse the polarity for the turn signal indicator lamp (not mentioned anywhere on any forum!)

Theres a lot more to it but I’m not one for typing but if you have a question give me a shout and I’ll try and help out. Here are a few pictures of my install and the two schematics.

Headlight circuit schematic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turn signal circuit schematic

Some pics of my install

AggieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in my '73 Super as well.

I did about 1/2 of the kit (all the lights and some of the engine, no dash or charging system) and ended up throwing in the towel. A local hot rod shop who is very familiar with the AAW kits (they use them in their hotrods) were willing to take the project and finished it for me. That is literally the only thing that I had to "throw in the towel" on with my car and it still makes me mad.

With that said, now that the harness is in, I'm VERY happy with it. It is super easy to expand on, which I have done.
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel your pain, I was expecting something a little more designed towards the VW. Actually a schematic specifically tailored for a VW to go along with this kit would have been great.
AggieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fclmscott wrote:
i feel your pain, I was expecting something a little more designed towards the VW. Actually a schematic specifically tailored for a VW to go along with this kit would have been great.

I agree!

I spent a lot of time with a '73 diagram, the AAW diagram and some hand drawn diagrams of the VW switches that I got off of here or maybe it was SuperBeetlesOnly or Germanlook.com.

I'm a technical kind of guy, a geek even, but still I was at a loss on making some of the electrical systems work!
Justins69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: turn signal switch Reply with quote

hi thanks for your diagrams i am having trouble wiring the turn signal switch into the watsons kit i have factory switch with five wires and a new aftermarket one with eight wires and no directions. Im totally at a loss with what wires go where any help would be great.
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Justins69bug
From Airhead Parts technical article for "Turn Signal Switch Replacement, Beetle 68-71, Karmann Ghia 68-71" (my comments italicized):
"Below is a chart of what each wire does:

Black w/Green & White stripe - Connects to Terminal "49a" on Flasher Relay.(49a is the flasher output on the factory relay.)

Black w/Green stripe - Connects to the Right side Turn Signals

Black w/White Stripe - Connects to the Left side Turn Signals

Brown w/White Stripe - Connects to Terminal "S" on the Headlight Dimmer Relay. (This activates the dimmer relay when you pull the lever.)

Brown Wire - Connects to Chassis Ground.

71 Models - White Wire - On Beetles this connects to the Brown wire going to the Horn. (Not used on a 1969)

The Extra Wires - When your Beetle was assembled on the line, a 6 wire switch was originally installed. Because a similar switch with 9 wires was installed on the Type 3 to accommodate the European Parking Light function, VW and SWF eventually superseded the 6 wire switch to the 9 wire style to reduce production costs and streamline their replacement parts inventory. This why you may have more wires than what’s listed above to work with. These wires are Grey, Grey w/Black stripe and Grey w/Red stripe (this last wire is not usually on Reproduction Switches). Simply terminate the ends with electrical tape and tie-wrap them out of the way."
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with VWs over 20 years. I've never understood the allure of this kit. Just my opinion, but now that I read your experiences I don't like it even more.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justins69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: watson kit Reply with quote

ya i liked the idea of the high quality wire and the nice looking fuse box but the kit is nearly installed in my car and the direction s where extremely generic when it came to hooking up switches and gauges all just said refer to manufacture for wiring instructions witch would be ok if the colors matched at all or the kit used factory style relays. It has been a challenge however does look real nice and hopefully everything works well thanks for the help.
alcapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Watsons Streetworks Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Wow, I just started to open and try and run some of the wires in this kit into to my 69 bug. As I started to think it out then look thru all the wire packages the more confused i got, so I decided to see if I could pick someone's brain about it. Looking at all the wires I began to wonder if all the wire was intended to be used. Your write up says not to use the schematics that you attached, were there schematics you included that would help cause I couldn't find any? Would really like to say, have a conversation some time if possible, any thoughts? Thanks
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al,
PM me your number and i'll give you a call.

Frank
75 buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
I've been playing with VWs over 20 years. I've never understood the allure of this kit. Just my opinion, but now that I read your experiences I don't like it even more.

do you know of a good complete kit for a 75 FI super ???
fcgrif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: wiring generator with watsons street works harness Reply with quote

Help! I am installing a new watsons harness in my manx copy buggy. Problem is instructions are for alt an i have generator. Does anyone have a diagram on how to do this. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks fcgrif(Frankie)
VolksMedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks clean but a bit confusing
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice work fclmscott, beautiful car too.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
cuzzinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your car looks great, you did good job on the wires. After much searching and procrastination i went with kit from JBugs. I want as as close to whats left of the original as possible, for my sake and maybe for next person.
It arrives today, i'm all excited
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complements all. Very wise idea cuzinit. At least you'll have a wiring diagram to go by!
cuzzinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a real good diagram but yes i do have one and most of it is good. My experience with JBugs was horrendous ! i was missing a piece and got some twit of a "tech" on the phone.... they lost my business FOREVER
i don't regret getting a WireWorks loom tho
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Generic fun Reply with quote

hey all,
been working on restoring/modding a '76 Australian beetle for the last couple of years and have finally reached the spaghetti installation stage. Bought the Watson's streetworks kit a while back and spent today wiring up... one thing...
I got five wires connected to the wipers today. still not sure if the right one is going back to the watson's panel.
Thank #%^@ someone else has been through this already. Very generic instructions etc, website how-to photos are in black and white (how ...quaint), colours on the schematic are mislabelled, nothing is mentioned about what colour wires go back to stock VW switches, and there's no email enquiry line to shoot questions back to them about it.

Go Samba. Frank's pics and diagrams are gold.

What wire/s from the stock VW ignition loom plugged into the column (RED, BLACK/YELLOW, BROWN /BLUE, BLACK and RED/BLACK) go where?
Currently I've got:
br/bl as the door buzzer (i'll use it as an accessory)
RED going to Watson's pink
Black going to +12v always hot
Black/Ylw to headlights (but not to the fuse panel, no?)
Red/blk to Watson's purple (which is hooked up to the push on tab on the starter solenoid)

Would be great to put together an idiot's guide to chopping it all out and starting from scratch. kneebone- thighbone, headbone- neckbone, armbone- footbone, fingerbone-nosebone d'oh! Brick wall Shocked

Peter
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Generic fun Reply with quote

"What wire/s from the stock VW ignition loom plugged into the column (RED, BLACK/YELLOW, BROWN /BLUE, BLACK and RED/BLACK) go where?
Currently I've got:
Red/blk to Watson's purple (which is hooked up to the push on tab on the starter solenoid)"

Hope everyone is okay from the storm... Confused

Has everyone been washed away? Bueller? Rolling Eyes
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Generic fun Reply with quote

Hoobie wrote:
"What wire/s from the stock VW ignition loom plugged into the column (RED, BLACK/YELLOW, BROWN /BLUE, BLACK and RED/BLACK) go where?
Currently I've got:
Red/blk to Watson's purple (which is hooked up to the push on tab on the starter solenoid)"

Hope everyone is okay from the storm... Confused

Has everyone been washed away? Bueller? Rolling Eyes

in answer to my question, use the search function you retard.

Only one of the wires from the ignition wires unassigned now is the black with yellow trace, which I'm assuming could be used for another purpose like powering an accessory. Really happy with progress today; once you meld Samba, Vinnems, Fclmscott, Bentley and Watsons together you get progress Smile

I think I'll use the spare heater-A/C wire to run my underbody neons and spoiler angle adjuster servo motor, I've already got the disco ball and strobe light hooked up to the water pump relay Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: