Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric fuel pump ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Electric fuel pump ? Reply with quote

I want to install an electric fuel pump.
Question is , If I use one that puts out 6psi and use a regulator at 3-3 1/2psi will I burn up the pump.
Was looking at the Carter P4070 ..Need a pump that I can use AN fittings on. I seen the cb performance one but it has barb fittings.
HELP!!!!!!
Lets see pic of your set up...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter make a 3-4 psi rotary pump... But not with AN fittings....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P60504/

Will work with Webers with out a regulator...

For pumps with AN fittings search JEGS or Summit racing, think outside "VW Box"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
gooser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd be better off using a pump that puts out the correct amount to begin with.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to a tech support at Summit Racing. He said the Carter p4070 should be fine and not burn up. Is he correct ?
I see the facet pumps are a hit and miss issue.
What does a stock engine need for pressure?
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3psi, that is what stock fuel pumps do as well and why many stick with them... RB
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Air wrote:
Talked to a tech support at Summit Racing. He said the Carter p4070 should be fine and not burn up. Is he correct ?

It will be fine.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this question:

I'm installing a dual carbed engine in the near future. I'm going to need a fuel pump that I can regulate at 3-3.5 lbs.

Within the next year, I'll be installing a bigger, much warmed over engine with turbo EFI.

Is there a pump that will cover the carb fuel pressure and then once i switch over to boosted EFI handle that as well or am I going to have to buy two separate pumps?
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
Is there a pump that will cover the carb fuel pressure and then once i switch over to boosted EFI handle that as well or am I going to have to buy two separate pumps?
2 pumps

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

To answer hotair, yes you can convert the CB/carter rotary pump to an set up: Fragola makes a fitting that is barbed on one end for the pump and then an-6 on the othre end .Then you plumb as normal with any an set up.The tank fitting can be converted to an as well I believe M-spec motorsport sells them I use one it is a nice piece has a nylon o ring /gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did in my bus. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fuel shut off is the best thing I did. I used my old pump with about 50000 mi. and bought an extra for the box. Replaced the old one road side in 15 min. no mess. That was a happy day for AN fittings and shut off.
dualport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: What is the line running where the fuel line used to be? Reply with quote

I see that you have a line above the fuel filter - and also the filter before the pump?

I am trying to set up a 68 tank in my split bus and am attempting the AN fittings while I am at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump ? Reply with quote

Hot Air wrote:
I want to install an electric fuel pump.
Question is , If I use one that puts out 6psi and use a regulator at 3-3 1/2psi will I burn up the pump.
Was looking at the Carter P4070 ..Need a pump that I can use AN fittings on. I seen the cb performance one but it has barb fittings.
HELP!!!!!!
Lets see pic of your set up...

why?? if i didn't have a late fuel injected case, i'd huck my electric pump in the trash and use a mechanical one. mechanical pumps are so simple, easy to repair and rebuild, very inexpensive, and flow more than enough even for large dual carbs.

mechanical pump also has the advantage in that if you crash and the engine stalls, the pump stops delivering fuel. most people who add an electric pump do it the lazy stupid way, which means it'll keep pumping gasoline into an engine fire if you crash. if you do go electric, be sure and use a relay that will kill the pump when the engine isn't turning.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
67 Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the CB rotary pump in my 67 Beetle. I added dual carbs, blocked off the stock pump and threw the carter from CB under the tank in front. It almost so quiet you wonder if its on. I have had to sit there quiet for a few to make sure its on and I hear it quietly buzzing.

I did however wire it to a switch hidden in the car. One it will keep assholes from stealing the car or at least take them more time doing so. The other is if a fire does break out I can hit the switch and hope for the best. Im going to run another in my 67 SO42 thats getting a 2017cc. I like it and would recommend it. Just make sure to carry the original and all parts in case it does shit out on you while on a trip. You can pull over, throw in the stocker and go about your business.

For the longest time I had a stock pump and an electric bugpack unit up front. If the stock failed I could throw on the electric and get home. Your choice which way to go though.

67 Euro Type 1.
67 SO-42 Westfalia
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump ? Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:
most people who add an electric pump do it the lazy stupid way, which means it'll keep pumping gasoline into an engine fire if you crash. if you do go electric, be sure and use a relay that will kill the pump when the engine isn't turning.

Good point, I never thought about this! Where do you get one of the crash relays aftermarket?

Last edited by JustBuggy on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dual port, The line above the filter is an electric hook up with heat shrink. Filter before pump is a good idea keep all dirt out of those spinning parts of the pump. This setup works nice in a bus.Fuel shutoff is key. I used a AC delco astro van filter so I wouldn't have problems finding for a long time.
Any question PM me I could give you a parts list.
Don
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump ? Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
torsionbar wrote:
most people who add an electric pump do it the lazy stupid way, which means it'll keep pumping gasoline into an engine fire if you crash. if you do go electric, be sure and use a relay that will kill the pump when the engine isn't turning.

Good point, I never thought about this! Where do you get one of the crash relays aftermarket?

maybe a tip over switch for a motorcyle..or Espar gas/diesel heaters have a provision for rollover switch

Click to view image
ev88f
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip relays can be found on most ford products. on Rangers look under the front-passenger carpet near the shifter/center console. look for a black box with a red reset button
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleieve this is what you guys are after regarding the relay, it feeds off of the ignition to sense rpm. Should the engine stall it shuts off the pump, the only other safety item you could add beyond this would be an inertia switch, and as said above found in Fords easily
but the wiring may take some figuring out?
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16928&cat=&page=1

Last edited by SRP1 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Juice C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:
This setup works nice in a bus.Fuel shutoff is key.
Don

I know that a fuel shutoff is good to have in case of an accident but is there any other reason for it. My motor in my bus keeps filling full of gas when its not running , and I was contemplating a shut off valve to stop it from happening again.
Of coarse I'll change the needle and seats again also. Mad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to throw something at you that seems like a flippant remark, but there is several threads in the past about fuel pump shut-off configurations... Perhaps a little time spent with search feature may help... Several results...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455398&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442197&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

Something like this that will take all the guess work out of it would be my choice...

http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: