Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Very well could have been. The PO did not mention a tranny conversion. If so, glad it was done.

Can I tell by the VIN number?? I would like to find out.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the VIN. Is there a large hole in the engine compartment from the compartment into the right rear fender? That's where the oil and vacuum tank were located. You might also have some extra holes in the sheet metal to the right of the crank pulley, right rear firewall, and some mounting holes on the upper left firewall.
Here is an autostick engine compartment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

No, I have no holes in those areas. Thanks.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rear panel area on 69 convertible.... these little dealios turn but serve no purpose, I'll assume they are a small part of a bigger picture.. but I have no idea, also not sure what the snap is for as all my snaps above it are for the cover, these are found on both passenger and driver sides..

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Maybe for a boot, to cover opened top. A slotted piece would go over then twist to lock it in place.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have the boot on in these pics which can't be seen, I was thinking maybe for the boot straps but appears somethings missing
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

What is this bracket next to the horn assembly??

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Haha... Nevermind. It supports the washer fluid bottle I just pulled out.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Posted this pic in my new thread related to reassembling my 71 Vert back to running.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669007&highlight=

Pretty sure they are down tubes from the brake fluid reservoir but need guidance which ones go where. The two primer ones are the same, the two etched ones have a slightly different curve. Do I use all four?

Anyone?

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

All I can do is post a couple of pics of my brake tubing in its original state. Don't know how much it'll help?

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That is perfect! Thank you Sir. Now I can play around to find which fits the proper angle.

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I'm not sure who's thread I took this pic from, but can someone tell me what the cable is at the top, I assume a heater cable? And also at the bottom of the pic, what is that electrical wire and where would it be going out through the engine compartment? Thanks.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Top cable is rear heat flap control

Red wire is for rear window defrost (late model glass window convertible). I don't believe it enters the engine bay at all. I never did hook mine up as the grid on my window looks sketchy.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Kman, that makes sense re the cable going to the opposite side heater flap. JBugs sells these cables and it looks like it goes to both flaps from the heater handle, so I assume they route through the two different tubes under the e-brake handle. Wiring to rear window defrost makes sense. My grid has always looked crusty as well and never tried to use it. I wonder if anyone sells a new replacement grid???

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Ok, came across a new part that I can't identify. I think it is the battery hold down that was originally in the engine compartment. Anyone Confirm?

Since I am going to remount battery under back seat, wondering if it is recommended to run a bolt through the pan and use this to secure battery in place....if it is the hold down, or am I just looking at future leakage/sealing problems down the road.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That is the battery hold-down.
It is held by a bolt through the pan into some sort of captive bolt arrangement. Should be ok elsewhere on the pan.

(Stated with no authority whatsoever!)

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Since I am going to remount battery under back seat, wondering if it is recommended to run a bolt through the pan and use this to secure battery in place....if it is the hold down, or am I just looking at future leakage/sealing problems down the road.
You could rivet a nut-plate to the pan as an anchor point for the hold down you have in hand, but you've already recognized the sealing issue.
It may be overkill, but I think you'd probably be able to realize better weather sealing using a hold down bracket/tray, for example:
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
You could rivet a nut-plate to the pan as an anchor point for the hold down you have in hand, but you've already recognized the sealing issue.
It may be overkill, but I think you'd probably be able to realize better weather sealing using a hold down bracket/tray...

Note the asymmetry from crocteau's picture, hides a symmetry. We have ours essentially free-floating, on a piece of rubber to damp-down the motions... Cable ties in this pic were replaced by velcro straps now, which don't do anything, really... It doesn't matter, the way we have it set up. There isn't a lot of space for the battery to float around, under a Ghia back seat. So you can use whatever makes you feel good. But you don't have a lot of vertical space to play in, if you have a tall battery.

The key thing is: look at the battery, and look at places where the hot terminal could ground itself. Make sure it can't get near any of them, what-ever happens. (If the ground lug grounds itself, that's just a better connection... Unless you want to disconnect power - then you shove the battery an inch to the side.)
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Granted that a Ghia isn't a safe prospect in a collision, having a loose battery in the passenger compartment is just ignoring Newton's first law and asking to be clobbered by 10 Kgs of lead when the situation isn't turning out so well.

I strongly recommend tying the battery down firmly.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Good ideas guys and thanks for the pics. Gives me some ideas. I will definitely figure out a way to secure the battery in place...don't want the thing bouncing around and welding itself in place on anything, especially if close to fuel lines!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 37

Jump to: