Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

home made paint booths
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: home made paint booths Reply with quote

anyone know where in Phoenix I can get some relatively inexpensive paint booth filters? I am in the process of planning a temp booth for my garage. any suggestions or pictures?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen guys use just regular forced hot air (or a/c in your case Laughing ) filters like this:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13399891

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..well you didn't hear this from me but ome Depot in town carry's a box of furnace filters....it's a roll of about 8' and can be cut to any size you want....they work well when mated with a closure that will hold em,it's the same material as the precision air ones the Skill's just showed. (the blue ones)

...make a picture frame type device with small square wire fencing...go get your self some spray adhesive and put it on the incoming side of the filter..this way it will trap the fine partical dust in the air but still not clog the filter...do not get the heavy spary glue but more like the fine mist kind like 3m sells for headliners,crafts etc.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After painting a car in my home made paint booth, I would recommend you just have it painted properly in a real paint booth or rent a paint booth. Aside from the environmental issues and fumes that might anger the neighbors, I think you would achieve better results since keeping the air clean and dust free is really difficult, unless you're going to be satisfied with a 5 foot paint job.

Better still, see if your local community college has an auto painting class that you can take and paint your car there.

However, I'm a firm believer in jumping in and learning things so if that's what you're into go for it. I will tell you that I won't go 'homemade booth' for my next project.

Be safe, I would also suggest getting a painting suit or wearing old clothes as paint dust gets everywhere! Also pay special attention to a new air filtration mask as this paint can/will kill you if you don't wear one (but your lungs will match your car!) Also drape a chain or something similar to your car and have it make a nice ground. Too high of a concentration of paint in your little booth can create a flammable environment .

Good luck, happy proud pics when you're done please.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jwold envrio and neighbor issues aside I have seen cars that come out of a "real" booth with dust in the paint. Dust is a fact of life. I understand what you're saying but I think in a well cleaned at home shop you would have the same luck dust wise as a booth

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a furnace filter on the back of a fan. used electrical conduit as a frame for my plastic booth. urethane paint bc/cc is some toxic stuff (careful even with a respirator) and i found it very hard to control particulates in the paint. long story short. i would do all the prep work, then find a shop to shoot it for you,if your finances allow. you have saved some money doing your own bodywork use it to get a great looking paint job. either way good luck!
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look guys i don't wanna preach here but i gotta say this:

this is a great hobby and some really sweet jobs have been done at home etc...but here's the deal..I have 300k invested into a building,shop etc just to paint stupid cars correctly,legally and safer....but if i had a dollar for EVERY job i lost to a guy who thinks he can do it himself,i would be living on a private island.

..i'm all for a guy having some oneelse spray their car in the correct enviroment..the problem is now all his work is trusted to a stranger to spray his work and time...and to rent a booth,well that's a HUGE insurance no no in this buz.

...the biggest thing guys, that we're missing here, is the fact that you may be spraying a hazardous chemical for your health...but there are ways to make it not impact you(masks,frash air set ups,full suits etc) ...this isn't a big deal...the big deal is fire...FIRE.

you CANNOT spray in a room,garage or where ever with out an explosion resistant fan and lighting,fire system etc...there are ways to min the explosion from the lighting by simply building covers for them and sealing them from the elements and also some dielectric grease in the bulb holders..also conduit ALL electrical wires and switches with covers...and keep the light on at all times with out on/off action causing sparks etc.

as for the fan...well it's about a thousand dollars for a real explosion resistant fan with the right cfm's too move a 20x24 garage.

i personally DO NOT recommend painting at home and with out some of the above mentioned. i did it,still do it on occasion...but my home garage is pretty much a paint booth and done pretty good...and for minor hobby crap.

..as for getting a better job out of a booth...well that's a myth why?

because if you don't take care of the booth,do not clean it EVERY day,maintain the filters fan,exhaust etc (which 9 out of 10 shops do not!!) ...it's really no different that having a proper set up garage at home...I used a booth and USE both every day for years and both have had the same results when properly cleaned,used and maintained....my new shop will have a 14x10x27' semi down draft..and at 43k to paint cars legally and safer...it's a HUGE investment,but it's for a business and not for a hobby.

that's the difference for me.

if your gonna do a home spray you gotta becareful in several areas...and if these end up throwing a red flag in your neighborhood,town etc don't do it.

here in RI if your caught praying a car with out a Body shop license your toast...you can how ever spray a car in your hoime garage for your own interest...go figure...f--kin crooked state!!!!...there are to many guys these days thinking" it's a no big deal to do what Tim does,hell i can do that"...only to get a reality check and waste more money that it would have taken to get it to a pro....this will ALWAYS be a decision...that can make or break the hobby.

so in a nut shell i'm not a guy wwho will condone home sprays but i certainly know where i started and if it's for a personal,no flip money job...use your best judgement and be SAFE about it!!!!

T

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the explosion proof fan is huge. Thankfully I have a 3/4 horse explosion proof fan. That bastard will litterally pull my 9x12 overhead doors in!!! It is almost too much for my shop as it will almost pull the paint right off the gun tip. I am always worried about blowing up. Its no joke. I see why at home guys piss off the pros

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Yea the explosion proof fan is huge. Thankfully I have a 3/4 hores explosion proof fan. That bastard will litterally pull my 9x12 overhead doors in!!! It is almost too much for my shop as it will almost pull the paint right off the gun tip. I am always worried about blowing up. Its no joke. I see why at home guys piss off the pros

they don't,
( most of the times) the thing that gets me is doing this day in and day out you would think that the ampros would figure out we know what we are talking about, and not argue the answer to a question that they asked us.
a far a a booth, go rent one, we are finally installing one on site, thank god, I am tried of keeping another mans booth clean, ( buddy down the street)
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old Pro painted my car with black Imron and it was nice! He opened up both ends of his shop to let the fumes drift/dissipate, while he sprayed. He just washed the cement slab down first.

Roachghia painted his car on his lawn and then mowed it to get rid of the over spray!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i;m with Spook on this too.

as far as a booth goes and what to expect..again it all depends on the booth...the person taking care of etc...i painted this car on my lawn...in a "Cover it Tent" a 16x20...no bs.

did the whole resto in there and it took 2 months. i have paint and build pics, i'll have to scan them..they are too funny.

single stage black,sanded then flow coated. all i had was a indoor fan bungy strapped to the roof with a hole cut out...needless to say the neighbors were pissed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by schell '59 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...either way it can be done and done all the time...gotta just pay attention and becarefull that;s all

gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of good info posted here for you. Consider one more thing, in the event something does go wrong, can you afford to replace the garage, or if it's attached to your house(even worse) when your insurance company refuses to pay.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^exactly!!

mine's detached!!! Smile

marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't too long ago that people were not afraid of painting cars in their home or shop garage. I am curious what happened - did paint become that much more explosive? Did a bunch of people blow up their garages? Did regulators (EPA, OSHA) create an environment of fear and/or safe practices?

I have been told to steer clear of clearcoats by folks at various stores and websites (highest VOCs in those), which is fine with me, but other than that, I have sprayed epoxies, urathanes and acrylic enamels (all have VOCs) in my boxfan vented garage with no issues whatsoever (other than I really suck at painting).

I hope to continue doing so and I continue to collect "best practices" for home spraying, but I certainly don't want to harm anyone doing my stupid hobby.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have painted in 'made' booths, in a 3 car garage , and outside
,with best practices
in the booth and doing the shoot, and they came out ok,
would I do it again?
no, not knowing what I now.
good paint is spendy ,
your building more so , and your health
most of all
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
It wasn't too long ago that people were not afraid of painting cars in their home or shop garage. I am curious what happened - did paint become that much more explosive? Did a bunch of people blow up their garages? Did regulators (EPA, OSHA) create an environment of fear and/or safe practices?

I think Spook hit the nail on the head... The cost of paint has gone up quite a bit since I first started. Add in the isocynates in most of the "good paint", and you have your fear. I remember using PPG's DP series before it became "Lead Free". They took the lead out to make it safer to use. Wink That was some of the best epoxy primer you could buy (it cost about 225 for a gallon of epoxy and a gallon of hardener (401/402), now it's well over 300 for a gallon of DP, and 2 qts of 401/402. Those were the days. Very Happy Quarts of red BC were less than 100, instead of 200 (PPG's DBU), and you can see why people don't paint in their home garages anymore. Too damn expensive. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i admire the independence and ability of the do it your selfer on this forum site. some can do and make anything happen with great skill. i wanted to take my car from start to finish and say i did it all. my experience with the home painting process was it is messy and expensive. the paint as pointed out is ridiculously expensive. how many reshoots can you afford? i may have turned out a decent job but my guess is i would have went thru a bunch of product. i am fortunate enough to have a fantastic body man that worked with me on my car. i can't match his skill and ability. he does it for a living. he is truly an artist and an honest guy. most talented body men are. i payed him well for his work. he earned it. i am particular about my car. when i look at it, i want to see a great paint job. i don't want to look at something i think i could have done better on.
soopaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting topic. I've also considered painting my own car, but the more I think of it, I realize that it would probably be a costly experience since I've never done it before. I don't mind paying for good work, but some of the quotes I've gotten from shops(pros) were very expensive. Schell... I've called your shop a few times and left messages, but haven't received a return call. Are you guys still in business? (Just wondering).
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ it is and hitting alot of key points too!

not only is it kinda dangerous,but thefact that paint is soooo expensive these days the "home"guys has to realize if he messes up his job he's pretty much gotta buy all the color over again.

there is so many things to consider in painting a car,not only does it take years to figure it out the correct way,but when you mess it up you have to be able to know how to repar you f---k up...anyone can paint a car,not all can understand the process,technique and repair end of it.

but if the shop messes it up i gotta eat it...so i try to nail it the first time.

i know this cuz i've been there done that too many times!!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: