Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transmission Ripoff.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact the Consumer Affairs agency in your state and his - usually under the Attorney General's office.

you may be able to sue in small claims court -- if not, then you can represent yourself in "real" court (pro se) if you want to put in the effort

in "big" court, you can sue where you live; small claims is often limited to being able to serve the other party there (i.e. he lives there)

Calif. has some heavy penalties for business fraud and similar things

an attorney could help if you have a relative or friend; otherwise, a simple case will cost several kilobucks
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I was going to buy those.

After a few emails where he won't really give much info I lost interest.

I have seen multiply ads from him on the MLPS over the last year.

Goes by munky butt

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spelled it wrong....you nailed.

Im sure as 92 is at the end...a few email addresses have been generated.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Vanagon-VAG-EngConv/message/588

and

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro/message/48938

Last edited by gl98115 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has 5 other ads on clist right now.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/2745404460.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wan/2743373547.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/2725169773.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/2718607932.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/2698925277.html

Live by the forum, die by the forum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first clue as to his shadiness is that he can't even spell "Volkswagen" correctly in his ads..
Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: ripped off Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus If it was me, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead, time to take a road trip from California to Milwaukee and get some satisfaction! Evil or Very Mad
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: scam Reply with quote

it's paypal or no play pal!!!! those people are great!oh btw he is def shadetree by the looks of his garage,i'm SURE local authorities would be interested in his activities! many apples must have zoning laws!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: ripp off transmission Reply with quote

Nice to see the supportive response from you good Samba folks. Personally I kind of like the vindictive route, nothing like a little revenge ! (just kidding)
Never never trust a guy that calls himself---monkebutt
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged his ph # into MLPS Clist and he has about 15 postings.

Would it be right for all of to flag his post??
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an attorney. I don't even own a briefcase. But I am married to an attorney.

Because the mails are involved, contact the Postal Inspector site as recommended earlier. Contact the local police. Contact Craigslist (you may need any backup copies of ads, etc.).

Understand that any good attorney is not going to be inexpensive. If you win any civil action, you may still find the defendant has no money to pay settlements or fees. If the other party is found guilty of criminal acts, you may or may not receive restitution. Begin with the Postal Inspectors and local law enforcement before moving further.

Finally, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Without a paper trail of your actions and the other party's actions, you have nothing but hearsay: "he said, she said". That is nearly worthless.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Santa,

I have a name to add to the naughty list.... Rolling Eyes
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Pauly - that sucks.

Beware out there folks - there are all kinds of rip offs pointed at Vanagon owners and they come in all shapes and sizes.

I paid a VW Subaru conversion shop in Chico, CA $500 in May of 2010 to build me a mount for an SVX conversion. One year and a boatload of lame excuses later, I walked away with nothing to show for it. This guy meant well, but he was so disorganized and broke all the time that he just never got it together. I could have chased him down in Small Claims but the amount of time and energy I was going to have to spend on him just wasn't worth it to me. The guy is a liar and I want nothing to do with him or people like him.

After a while the money was not the issue. Walking away is sometimes the best option but it still sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Dang Pauly - that sucks.

I could have chased him down in Small Claims but the amount of time and energy I was going to have to spend on him just wasn't worth it to me. The guy is a liar and I want nothing to do with him or people like him.

After a while the money was not the issue. Walking away is sometimes the best option but it still sucks.

Small claim is easy in California. Start here:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm#whocan

File you case, have the paper served ( it will be easy as he has a shop ). Go to the court at the arranged date and win. But you must have paper work to back you up.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume that Paypal is any safer from fraud. It is not.

Case in point: I bought a set of used rubber rain gutters for my A2 GTI some years ago off the Vortex, used Paypal and never received anything. Seller stopped responding to e-mails. I got Paypal involved and they decided "in my favor" but to no avail. The seller just has to change e-mail addresses, set up a new account and it's off to the races with another fraudulent "sale". I'll only buy off the Samba after looking at multiple feedback from others, or Craigslist where I can examine things and buy in person.

YMMV.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your luck man Shocked
Curious how much you paid, was it too good to be true?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
[...]

File you case, have the paper served ( it will be easy as he has a shop ). Go to the court at the arranged date and win. But you must have paper work to back you up.

Um, it's not that simple. The potential defendant is out of state. I suspect the judgement would apply only if he enters California. But that's only a guess. Follow the small claims advisor link to get in touch with a local court advisor.

Really, if nothing else, to try a local pro bono attorney service (the lawyer works for free) for a consultation, but you may not qualify for that. Anyway Google on "pro bono California" for more info.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
izzydog wrote:
Dang Pauly - that sucks.

I could have chased him down in Small Claims but the amount of time and energy I was going to have to spend on him just wasn't worth it to me. The guy is a liar and I want nothing to do with him or people like him.

You can win in Small Claims but getting paid is a whole other issue... don't ask me how I know...
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge hearty thank you to all of you for your thoughts, suggestions and offers of help, it certainly eased my pain.

You guys are right on the money, yup its monkeybutt92 and what a handsome well rounded individual he is.

Its probably good that he doesn't live within a few hours travel from me, it wouldn't end well, although being honest, my bark is way worse than my bite these days, its highly unlikely that he hasn't spent the money.

A few facts, it was advertised as a locker tranny, $850.00, front diff for $350 and driveshaft for $150. I printed out the Craigslist ad, with the listing photos, clearly a locking Syncro transmission, and to my thinking, $850 was a good, resonable, believable price. With shipping costs of $294.92, (LME shipping), I'm out $1144.92.

His name is.....
Paul Perko
> >ebay alias munkybutt92 - [email protected]
> ><Moderator note: removed, we do not allow private addresses to be posted>
> >Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414
> >(612) 331-xxxx

Together this guy has to have his little game stopped, I had no idea that Darryl of AA Trans had warned the VW community regarding this guy.
I will notfy his local police, file a complaint with the USPS (thanks for the mail fraud tip), finally try the small claims route, and yes add a note to the feedback on this very site. I don't expect to recover anything.

I've enjoyed a damn lucky full life, as to this..... DOH!

Cheers again, Paul.
Emeryville, Ca.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeftySmurf wrote:
Sorry about your luck man Shocked
Curious how much you paid, was it too good to be true?
If you look on Facebook you may still see the ad in a post Joel sent me. I belive it was 800$ for the trans&diff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: