Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transmission Ripoff.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$850 for a locker is not realistic today....5 years ago sure.
The seller obviously knows the demand for such units and has picked a price to entice many.
The last three lockers in the classifieds have sold for over $2000.
There are deals out there still, but IMHO they will not come from a VW based classifieds section or Craig's List from someone selling various VW parts.
Most know the demand and worth of a Syncro transmission.
If you don't and are reading this, now you do.
See an ad and think its too good to be true.......buyer beware Exclamation
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right or wrong I just plugged in his phone # in MLPS Clist and flagged his postings. He has 16 on there right now.

I don't want to see anymore members get ripped off.

Do you have a pic of the trans he sent??

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
I plugged his ph # into MLPS Clist and he has about 15 postings.

Would it be right for all of to flag his post??

Thats exactly what I did! Twisted Evil
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... sorry to hear about this. Sad Some people just have no morals.

And this guy has obviously gotten away with this... repeatedly. Those who are caught in the act do not continue using the same email and phone number... 8 years later!! d'oh!

And, yeah, don't trust a seller who can't even spell Volkswagen correctly: "volkawagon" is in one of his current ads. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a guy in Austin Texas rip me off, right here on the Samba. he advertised a Luk heavy duty clutch kit for a bout $50 less than the usual vanagon suppliers - so after a few calls and emails, I sent him a cashiers check, because he too wouldn't except pay pal. I got the clutch kit, opened it up, but it didn't look right. after some measurements and cross referencing, the clutch kit was for a Daewoo and was made by Valeo....needless to say, I paid to have it returned to get my money back. the dude, Adam Butler, who went by Dirtyhippie here on the Samba, said, all says are final...sorry dude. I spoke to his mom, she said, not again? and said she would talk to him. I never got my money back and have written it off to a crack head loser retard. The $150 had into it was not worth the extra time and effort to try any legal actions.

I hate Bastards that rip people off. For that reason, I always sell stuff real cheap, offer to take it back etc. I sell shit on Craigslist all the time, and when the buyer shows up, I always cut the deal in half, or just say how about a half rack of pbr instead of $50? It makes everyone happy that way!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

And, yeah, don't trust a seller who can't even spell Volkswagen correctly: "volkawagon" is in one of his current ads. Rolling Eyes

I'm not defending the slimeball but come on. The "a" and "s" are right next to each other on the keyboard. I can't even guess how many times a day I make similat mistakes.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

I'm not defending the slimeball but come on. The "a" and "s" are right next to each other on the keyboard. I can't even guess how many times a day I make similat mistakes.

Every single ad I looked at made my head hurt from the spelling and grammatical errors.
also every single instance of "Volkswagen" was mis-spelled as wagOn.

I usually pass up any ad like that just as a matter of principle! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
i had a guy in Austin Texas rip me off, right here on the Samba. he advertised a Luk heavy duty clutch kit for a bout $50 less than the usual vanagon suppliers - so after a few calls and emails, I sent him a cashiers check, because he too wouldn't except pay pal. I got the clutch kit, opened it up, but it didn't look right. after some measurements and cross referencing, the clutch kit was for a Daewoo and was made by Valeo....needless to say, I paid to have it returned to get my money back. the dude, Adam Butler, who went by Dirtyhippie here on the Samba, said, all says are final...sorry dude. I spoke to his mom, she said, not again? and said she would talk to him. I never got my money back and have written it off to a crack head loser retard. The $150 had into it was not worth the extra time and effort to try any legal actions.

I hate Bastards that rip people off. For that reason, I always sell stuff real cheap, offer to take it back etc. I sell shit on Craigslist all the time, and when the buyer shows up, I always cut the deal in half, or just say how about a half rack of pbr instead of $50? It makes everyone happy that way!

Dirtyhippie......if the name fits Laughing

I will gladly take all of your syncro locker transmissions for a full rack of PBR.
I would totally be happy.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

At least once. Wink Razz

A) Spell-check. "Takes too much time!" you say? Many browsers, particularly Firefox, spell-check as you type, including the name of car manufacturers like Volkswagen. Small mistakes I can understand and forgive, but after at least EIGHT years of running this scam, and after 50+ years of VW selling vehicles in this country, I would think this sleazeball, and many other people, would recognize the fact that Volkswagen is spelled with an "e"! Brick wall

B) If you're running a business, I don't care if you're a flipper on Craigslist, or a Fortune 500 company with your own web site, you don't post unprofessional ads like this guy has. Proof-read your ads before posting them! There again, I am a Grammar Nazi; ads like Mr. Munkybutt's are enough to cause a stroke. Twisted Evil
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I was nearly taken by the same guy a couple of months ago, when he agreed to sell me a Syncro trans that I later discovered had already been sold. The buyer, one of our vendors, evidently met with the same fate as you did, but I understand he resolved the issue somehow. Glad I dodged that bullet!

I suggest you start a new thread, with a subject line something like "Have you ever been ripped off by a guy from Minnesota selling Vanagon parts? I was!" Then see how many responses you get, and collect names and numbers from those willing to participate. Then file a complaint with his hometown police, and offer those names of others who were taken in. That will give your case much more weight, and might result in a positive outcome for you and others. If it does no more than get this crook to stop stealing, it would be better than nothing. Good luck!

Larry H.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhamm wrote:
Paul,

I was nearly taken by the same guy a couple of months ago, when he agreed to sell me a Syncro trans that I later discovered had already been sold. The buyer, one of our vendors, evidently met with the same fate as you did, but I understand he resolved the issue somehow. Glad I dodged that bullet!

I suggest you start a new thread, with a subject line something like "Have you ever been ripped off by a guy from Minnesota selling Vanagon parts? I was!" Then see how many responses you get, and collect names and numbers from those willing to participate. Then file a complaint with his hometown police, and offer those names of others who were taken in. That will give your case much more weight, and might result in a positive outcome for you and others. If it does no more than get this crook to stop stealing, it would be better than nothing. Good luck!

Larry H.

Larry, I'd like to thank you for constructive reply, I shall do just as you suggest, I did wonder if he is also praying on other sections of this Samba community? Are the Splitties and the Bay Windows guys paying for crates of crap? Upon reflection, when questioned on the phone , the slime ball really keeps his cool, and therefore I'm guessing he is well practised at this. Nice little side job....$30-50-80,000 a year, tax free!

But as a side note, I'd also like to offer a very big public thank you. Your write up years ago, " 2WD to Syncro, but not back again" was all I needed to do just that, back in 2005ish and have never looked back. Our 1990 FrankenwestysubaruSyncro has taken us (my wife ,dog and I) all over, from Yellowstone to Cabo and back.

Vanagon-Westfalia-Syncro drivers are with out any doubt some of the nicest people I have ever met.

So Larry, thank you.
Paul, in Emeryville,Ca, where the affluent meets the effluent.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked some of his Craigslist ads, and saw only Vanagon stuff, but I didn't see them all. Someone needs to slap some "big brakes" on that guy! I hope it's you.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad your Westy turned out so well.
Actually, the document you mentioned was the fine work of John Vidovich, who was good enough to flesh out the rather bare-bones description I wrote up originally. If I had known there might be so much interest, I would have done a better job documenting my build! I'm glad to see that quite a few Vanagons have been "Syncronized" in the years since. I think I should have stocked up on all the wrecked/rusted Syncro parts donors...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is now looking to buy if anyone is interested in having a little fun.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wan/2827903923.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagged for my disapproval
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddened to read this thread but also makes me proud to see our community rally in support...the internet is still the wild west folks..
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bummer Paul, hope you get some justice. Had a similar, if less costly experience with someone who sounds very similar in 2010. Bought a set of swivel bases via craigslist and they never showed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The seller obviously knows the demand for such units and has picked a price to entice many.
There are deals out there still, but IMHO they will not come from a VW based classifieds section or Craig's List from someone selling various VW parts.

Depends on condition. I am currently selling a locking diff for $750. It shifts, diff lock worked, shifted fine. Prob is it was getting very loud. I removed before failure. I've informed all of what i know. I am certain it is rebuildable. Just about any prob can be fixed upon rebuild granted it will cost more. The lock actuator has be romoved to put on my spare. I was gona sell to Burly but shit happens so i just sold it to a freind from Van-Cafe. I hate Pay -Pal. They get $ for nothing. I prefer local sales with cash or money orders and have never had problems from my end. Just cause someone doesn't do Pay-Pal doesn't make them a thief.
Regardless sorry to hear this Sad
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Depends on condition. I am currently selling a locking diff for $750. It shifts, diff lock worked, shifted fine. Prob is it was getting very loud. I removed before failure. I've informed all of what i know. I am certain it is rebuildable. Just about any prob can be fixed upon rebuild granted it will cost more. The lock actuator has be romoved to put on my spare. I was gona sell to Burly but shit happens so i just sold it to a freind from Van-Cafe. I hate Pay -Pal. They get $ for nothing. I prefer local sales with cash or money orders and have never had problems from my end. Just cause someone doesn't do Pay-Pal doesn't make them a thief.

Exactly my point, thank you.
Your $750 box will cost $2500+ to be able to use it.

With Syncro lockers, cases stretch, bearings spin, housing weaken, ring and pinions take a beating...gears....you get my point.

Most of the running Syncro lockers out there are good to excellent, rebuildable cores.
New no longer.

Noise from any transmission I have personally owned, directly reflects the amount of money needed to "rebuild" it.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
dredward wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Exactly my point, thank you.
Your $750 box will cost $2500+ to be able to use it.

With Syncro lockers, cases stretch, bearings spin, housing weaken, ring and pinions take a beating...gears....you get my point.

Most of the running Syncro lockers out there are good to excellent, rebuildable cores.
New no longer.

Noise from any transmission I have personally owned, directly reflects the amount of money needed to "rebuild" it.

I have a rebuildable core. That i am willing to back up. How much it will cost however i am not as i am not a trans guy. From what i've been told from who'd build my trans it will likely cost 1- 1500k. I've been quoted 2500+ to rebuild a trasns with MAJOR catastrophic failure. Mine doesn't have that. It shifted fine never popped out of gear and the diff lock worked as it should. I put in a used one and if it fails it'll get rebuilt. For now i'll baby it and keep the fluid fresh. Given i got 15k miles of burn outs with the diff locked on pavement(i know this was dumb) i trust my used unit will cary me untill i NEED to rebuild it. Alot of quotes to rebuild these often reflects the tooling and resources the rebuilder has to do repairs what ever they are. Note the trans has been sold today to a local tech who has ridden in the vehicle and knew what it was doing.
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if this guy is still posting Vanagon items for sale on craigslist minneapolis?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: