Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head temp gauge wire info needed !
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

I'm installing a VDO head temp gauge and picking up one of those thermal coupler "senders" that fit under the spark plug. Has anyone done this sort of thing before? If you have, what color wires on the sender go to which spades on the back of the gauge, there are two wires and two spades on the back of the gauge, GOTTA be an simple answer out there.?

I've looked online and asked on other forums here but never managed to get a simple answer ! The gauge has two spades, the sender has two wires, what goes where?

Not interested in buying another gauge or different sender, just need to know how to connect up two wires and need to know the colors of those wires and where they connect up to on the back of the gauge.

Super simple question, just need some empirical knowledge from someone who has done this. No speculation, no black and white diagrams without wire color codes, no suggestions on buying something different. VDO gauge, VDO sender/sensor, how do they connect up.

PLEASE ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

I've done this before. It's been years, no, decades. I just went ahead and made the connections. How bad could it be? Not very, 'cuz (best I can remember) when I started the engine (maybe even before that) I immediately knew I had it bas-ackwards. The meter's needle went lower! So, I switch'd the red and black wires on back of gauge. Been working ever since on daily driver. CHT is bottom right of 4 gauge cluster:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

Thanks MrGoodtunes !

I found the answer on another forum but had to wade through a TON of worthless diagrams (without color coding of the wires) and a shit load of grief for being rude.

I had to yell and swear at them in return for NOT giving me a simple answer, Two wires two spades, what goes where? You either know the answer or you don't. I couldn't give a shit what they think that their brother-in-law did in the 70's ! Seems like the "internet" just likes to "hear" themselves post, regardless of WHAT they post !

Anyway, thanks for your simple solution !
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

TC/TeamEvil wrote:
Thanks MrGoodtunes !

I found the answer on another forum but had to wade through a TON of worthless diagrams (without color coding of the wires) and a shit load of grief for being rude.

I had to yell and swear at them in return for NOT giving me a simple answer, Two wires two spades, what goes where? You either know the answer or you don't. I couldn't give a shit what they think that their brother-in-law did in the 70's ! Seems like the "internet" just likes to "hear" themselves post, regardless of WHAT they post !

Anyway, thanks for your simple solution !

Same answer. Its hard to know how every CHT gauge company color codes....but if its the simple two wire hook up.. just hook it up. If its backwards the gauge simply runs backwards (shows colder as the temp rises).

I am sure all of the answers you got mainly had to do with advising not to extend the length of your TC sensor wire unless
A. The gauge can handle the input from a longer wire set....some gauges have issues.
B. you cannot just extend TC wires except with specific wire types. It has to be TC extension wire.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

Surprisingly, most of the answers included non-color coded diagrams which were useless and a larger number advising me to buy a different gauge and sensor unit rather than helping me figure out the ones that I'd already bought.

All I really wanted to know was what color wires connects up with which spade on the back of the gauge. Thankfully NOW I do . . .

The project is a Fiat 600 shell on a shortened VW pan, I don't know the quality of the cooling in the rear of the Fiat as it came with a water cooled engine, head and oil temp gauges are going to be crucial in monitoring the engine temp and making any necessary changes to the rear lid and body as I "fine tune" the car.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

TC/TeamEvil wrote:
Thanks MrGoodtunes !

This is kind of a worthless reply, but for the TONs of wading you did, which I assumed took quite a while, you could have started the car and found out your answer in less than 30 seconds. You had a 50/50 chance of it being right...simply flip the wires if it was wrong.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp gauge wire info needed ! Reply with quote

Not a worthless reply at all.

The car is still "under construction" and coming along slowly due to the insanely cold weather snap here in New England. NOT running. I've pulled the dash board and brought it down cellar to work on, I'm also building a replica Abarth gauge pod and fitting it to the dash.

Been laying out the gauge positions and cutting holes where needed, wanted to include the oil temp and head temp in the same cluster, but needed to be sure that I had the under dash wiring all set to go first. Needed the info on the head temp sensor.

The Fiat dash is an enclosed unit and there's really not much room in the interior/under there at all, difficult to just reach underneath and swap a couple of wires around, wanted to get it right first time

So . . . typical difficulties in building a "custom" rig.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: