Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out of state in CA.. smog issues?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a win to me. Find the part, install it, go back and finish up. At least the numbers are good so you don't have to sweat that. You just saved yourself hundreds of dollars potentially.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a used one but would like to keep it if possible as as spare. There is also a 1976 T4 down at the Stockton Ave So Sac Pick and Pull. That usually means bay in their language. Why not take a look to see if the EGR filter is still there. If not contact Raul vw76westy for one cause he usually has them. Make sure it has the fittings. I have gaskets for them if you can't snag the old ones with it but they are like $40 a set of cause I had to have them custom made. If the EGR filter is gone then there is also a possibility that the valve will be bad too.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will want to be sure the valve is there and working, as many of them will check for it's functionality by disconnecting the little rod from the throttle and opening it up - to make sure that EGR pipe coming over to the valve then warms up.

this was a win. finding one or two parts (assuming your existing exhaust as the provision to connect the EGR filter TO it) but already passing the snif test is an amazingly good 'first try' result for a bus bought from a non-smog state into CA.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm glad I do not live in CA. In Massachusetts, after the car is 25years old, only has to pass safety. Lights, wipers, and ebrake.

Good luck, and never pass up help offered to you along the way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have searched all over. The only one I have found is at

http://www.jbugs.com/product/021131617F.html?Categ...-1975-1979

Can someone confirm for me that this is the correct one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
I have searched all over. The only one I have found is at

http://www.jbugs.com/product/021131617F.html?Categ...-1975-1979

Can someone confirm for me that this is the correct one?

That's the one, but if you search 021131617F on other sellers sites or just google it you'll find alot more, Busdepot was $116 for example.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll keep shopping Smile
AndyWehmeyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A very helpful thread. 15 years ago, when I lived in LA the last time, the air was horrible. It's much better now, so i figure passing smog is a not so small price to pay for the better air quality.

Recently, I bought a 77 bus. It isn't a CA car and I'm in Pasadena. I'm nearly finished replacing the entire exhaust system, all the fuel lines and all of the vacuum hoses and lines--really expensive. That said, I really would like to pass. Does anyone here know a VW-friendly smog guy who would help me get this thing up to snuff? Not looking for a scam, but will be looking for help.

Thanks!
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out a few months ago that if you fail a Calif. test only station and all the smog parts are intact that you can take it to a mechanic that participates in a Calif program (forgot that name of it) where you only have to spend a max. of $200 to get it to pass. Worked great for my Jeep that needed a couple of O2 sensors and a cat. convertor.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyWehmeyer wrote:
Wow. A very helpful thread. 15 years ago, when I lived in LA the last time, the air was horrible. It's much better now, so i figure passing smog is a not so small price to pay for the better air quality.

Recently, I bought a 77 bus. It isn't a CA car and I'm in Pasadena. I'm nearly finished replacing the entire exhaust system, all the fuel lines and all of the vacuum hoses and lines--really expensive. That said, I really would like to pass. Does anyone here know a VW-friendly smog guy who would help me get this thing up to snuff? Not looking for a scam, but will be looking for help.

Thanks!

ask for a pretest and get a copy. Scan and post here if you don't pass.
sherpa7200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread. I'm on the Peninsula and in exactly the same position. Just brought a 1977 bus from Utah and found out it needs EGR equipment reinstalled. Haven't tried to smog it yet. Still has FI and has good compression.

How difficult is it to install EGR equipment? I have decent tools, but no garage (I live on campus at Stanford).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherpa7200 wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I'm on the Peninsula and in exactly the same position. Just brought a 1977 bus from Utah and found out it needs EGR equipment reinstalled. Haven't tried to smog it yet. Still has FI and has good compression.

How difficult is it to install EGR equipment? I have decent tools, but no garage (I live on campus at Stanford).

If the plenum is clogged with carbon you may need to pull the plenum. There are holes in a tube that spread the EGR gasses evenly across the cylinders and if only one or two are open you'll smother those cylinders. You'll need the stock exhaust with a good elbow, the filter, the tube, the valve and linkage plus the gaskets. None of the parts are made new anymore except the filters can still be bought. I have one spare set but don't want to sell it. All together you are looking at around $100 to $450 to collect all the parts depending on what you have now and what condition the parts are. Your best bet is to find a 76-78 parts bus at a pick and pull and snag the parts then if any part is bad, look for that part on the Samba. There was a guy in San Carlos who used to rebuild the valves for about $250 each. He retired but he has a buddy with a VW shop in San Mateo who knows who he is and how to reach him.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finally got my EGR filter.

2 issues remain:

1. The EGR valve was not hooked up... I found the linkage though. I am assuming it was not hooked up because the filter was missing.

2. The muffler has a little outlet that, I am assuming, hooks to one side of the EGR filter. My issue is that the PO apparently bent that little outlet pipe an crimped it because there was no filter to hook too.

My question is... am I right in my assumptions as to what these parts are? And what am I looking at to get this resolved. I see this exhaust on bus depot that looks like the correct muffler, with the filter adapter still in tact.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=352000

Below are pictures of what I am seeing:

Muffler outlet pipe 'bent' out of commission:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EGR Not hooked up:

Old section of EGR filter.. broken off.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyWehmeyer wrote:

Thanks!

Andy, I am a vw tech and my friend is an automotive tech who works a part time job at a smog shop within your area. If you need we can work at assuring your Bay gets properly smoged. You can PM me or answer here on this site, as what course of action we pursue may be of interest to others in Calif.
Hope this helps, Bill.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm, can you take a look at my pictures and let me know if that exhaust from the Bus Depot is what I need? (link above in my last post).

Thanks
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
rockerarm, can you take a look at my pictures and let me know if that exhaust from the Bus Depot is what I need? (link above in my last post).

Thanks

Nerd04, it is a bit difficult looking at the pictures with this blackberry. The part you are referring to from BusDepot is different than the "original components" and not to sure if this is a "grey area" or "wobbler". That part is listed as an aftermarket part and an extractor. I recall american cars with headers that had the tubes for the air injection system needed to have that EO # (executive order number) from the state. Not sure if this falls within that same criteria. I will try and give you the best answer as timely as possible. I wonder if Bus Depot has the answer we require because a lot of these emission rules are federal and would cover more than the "left coast" here.
Hope this helps, Bill.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally made it back down to Mohommad at M&S auto to have my smog check. after installing my EGR filter, etc...

This time it failed the EVAP test... he couldn't tel me what was causing it to fail. just that it failed.

Soooo.. anyone who is familiar with what I may need to check/fix, please chime in..

Thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
So I finally made it back down to Mohommad at M&S auto to have my smog check. after installing my EGR filter, etc...

This time it failed the EVAP test... he couldn't tel me what was causing it to fail. just that it failed.

Soooo.. anyone who is familiar with what I may need to check/fix, please chime in..

Thanks.

that could mean the hoses on the tank and in the back are rotted. Does it have the carbon canister still and have you replaced the hoses?

Is that all that failed? Were you able to get past the dyno test and EGR test?

Dost thou know of what I speak?
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not replaced the canister or hoses.. they are all there. But I have not inspected them closely. That was going to be my next step.

When you say 'tank'.. I am assuming you mean the gas tank. That sounds like it may be a pain of a job. I'll dig into the Bentley tonight and start checking everything involved. hell... has to be easier than the wiring was.

Thanks again.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - there are hoses on the tank that rot and also one under the spare tire.

It is easiest to do the tank when the engine is out. What I did was use a small vacuum hand pump to see if I could pull a light vacuum on the tank. Once you can then the system is tight. In addition there is a hose that goes from the canister to the tin or shroud and one that goes to the purge valve on the air filter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: