Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out of state in CA.. smog issues?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a catalytic and if so how old is it?

What was the O2?

You are almost there
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CAT. It is a 49 state's.

My test results are as follows:

15MPH - %CO2 = 13.0, %O2 = .4, HC = 105, CO% = 2.56, NO = 1265
25MPH - %CO2 = 13.1, %O2 = .4, HC = 98, CO% = 2.46, HC = 1269
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do 2 things.

Check your timing.
make sure the air filter is good

If you have not replaced the TSII do so as they cause the mixture to move rich as they fail.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the saga continues.

I replaced the air filter.. confirmed timing.. and replaced the TS2. The thing is running like a top. Still failed though... although the readings were better.

So this time I my reading were as follows:

15MPH = HC(PPM) - 99, CO(%) - 2.17, NO(PPM) - 1670
25MPH = HC(PPM) - 90, CO(%) - 2.14, NO(PPM) - 1529

So I was able to bring my CO down a bit... but not enough. The TS2 did wonders for my idle issue however.. and the Bus is running excellent.

I spoke with the smog tech for a while.. and he said that the lower the CO goes, the higher the NO goes.. and lowering the NO is the EGR's job.

I removed my EGR valve and it was jam packed full of carbon blockage.. to the point where no airflow was even possible.

So my next questions is... now that I have cleaned out my EGR (and I can really tell t is finally working). Will this cause my CO to drop any? Or just the NO? Do I need to lean it out even further before my next test... and if so.. how?

Thanks again
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the "standards" that the veh has to meet, for a non-cat veh? The HC are great, which is an indication of a good ign system and decent A/F ratio. You are probably just a tad rich. If you now find the EGR plugged, didn't anyone do an EGR function test? Not sure if this is done anymore but what it involved was to "activate" the EGR at idle and assure the idle stumbles or dies. If no change it would fail that part of test. Whatever now. Not gonna explain what an egr system does, but possibly now with it working with the added "air" entering the cumbustion chamber, your A/F ratio may lean out enough, though that is not the function of EGR. Without anymore changes why don't you try and do a pre test? If you lean out too much, the HC will go up. So a balance has to be met.
Hope this helps, Bill.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Thanks again for the input.

I need to get to 1.66 CO, and 1534 NO. So I am getting close.

As far as the EGR test.. it must have been purely a visual test.. as it was completely blocked. I removed everything and cleaned it out pretty good.. and now I can get a noticeable difference when I activate it at idle... where this did not happen before. Also, the pipe heading toward the EGR filter now gets toasty warm.. where this also did not happen before. I guess I should have done this a while ago.... live and learn.

Is there anything else I need to do to help lean it out.. or do you think the EGR finally functioning will help my mixture issue... as I was getting close already?

Thanks, Nick.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably a few things that come to mind, that may/would effect this. Ideally, it would be nice to re-do the test now with a functioning Egr. I personally think this may reduce the co, as it certainly shouldn't richen up. If you have the tools or patience to find/borrow, I would assure proper fuel pressure, correct vacuum to the fuel press regulator, proper specs for the AFM, and one can even move the base ign timing a degree or two and see if the A/F leans a bit.
Bill
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-test complete... getting very close.

15MPH = HC(PPM) - 85, CO(%) - 2.07, NO(PPM) - 860
25MPH = HC(PPM) - 80, CO(%) - 2.04, NO(PPM) - 750

So the functioning EGR definitely improved my NO numbers... and my CO dropped a bit. Just not enough. I need to get CO down to 1.66 & 1.46 respectively.

I am guessing that my only option now is to lean it out a bit. So what is the easiest way to do this? Do I need to crack open the AFM and make an adjustment.. or is there an easier way?

Thanks!
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a easier way go get that vin off a 74 like I told u....or wait awhile. I hear there pushing for another smog roll back to 81.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PASSED!!

Check out these numbers...

15MPH - HC(PPM) = 27, CO(%) = .09 (yes.. point oh freaking 9), NO(PPM) 648
25MPH - HC(PPM) = 52, CO(%) = .09 (yes.. point oh freaking 9), NO(PPM) 572

I leaned out the idle AF mixture screw by 2 full turns.. and popped the cap on the AFM and adjusted the wiper a tiny bit clockwise to lean out the 'running' AFR. It was kind of a shot in the dark.. as I didn't have an analyzer.. but it worked out.

It was way too lean though.. so I have since dialed it back a bit. Running like a top right now.

So to summarize..

1. Replaced EGR filter
2. Replaced muffler (because old one did not have EGR filter connector).
3. Sealed up EVAP system.
4. Cleaned out EGR valve.. which was completely blocked.
5. Leaned out idle AFR
6. Leaned out running AFR

huge thanks to rockerarm, sgkent, and everyone who helped me out. And to ratwells site for the technical info.

I just upgraded my membership to this site.. worth every cent. I can't imagine what acquiring all of this information would have cost me. This place is priceless.
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
PASSED!!

I leaned out the idle AF mixture screw by 2 full turns.. and popped the cap on the AFM and adjusted the wiper a tiny bit clockwise to lean out the 'running' AFR. It was kind of a shot in the dark.. as I didn't have an analyzer.. but it worked out.

It was way too lean though.. so I have since dialed it back a bit. Running like a top right now.

So to summarize..

1. Replaced EGR filter
5. Leaned out idle AFR

huge thanks to rockerarm, sgkent, and everyone who helped me out. And to ratwells site for the technical info.

I just upgraded my membership to this site.. worth every cent. I can't imagine what acquiring all of this information would have cost me. This place is priceless.

Awesome. Knew you could do it.
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
PASSED!!

So to summarize..

1. Replaced EGR filter
5. Leaned out idle AFR

That's great news! I'm still holding out a bit to see if the new smog law passes. *fingers crossed*

Hoping to get my firewall off this weekend, without dropping the motor, so I can inspect the vapor lines and pull the fuel filler. I know the neck needs to be replaced but I want to visually inspect the lines just incase I need to order more parts besides the fuel filler neck.

Is the Bus Boys fuel filler neck still the best one to purchase?
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
75 cutoff? Wow that is nice. Ours is 67.

Not up here in Flagstaff......no smog at all.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
That's great news! I'm still holding out a bit to see if the new smog law passes. *fingers crossed*

Failed in Committee April 10 with rights to reconsider at a later date.

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 04/10/2012
LAST HIST. ACTION : Set, second hearing. Failed passage in committee. Reconsideration granted.

Based on the cons I wouldn't get my hopes up:ARB estimated that, by 2010,
pre-1982 cars would account for more than one-fifth of the
hydrocarbons and one-tenth of the nitrous oxide emissions in
the state despite representing only 2.6 percent of the vehicle
population and 1.3 percent of the vehicle miles traveled.
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that Sad
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ARB estimated that, by 2010,
pre-1982 cars would account for more than one-fifth of the
hydrocarbons and one-tenth of the nitrous oxide emissions in
the state despite representing only 2.6 percent of the vehicle
population and 1.3 percent of the vehicle miles traveled.

Wow. Old cars are dirty. Ya know, I like driving an older car, since I take comfort in being able to maintain it, and in the fact that I am not requiring the manufacture of a new car on my behalf. But, even when they were new, these cars were much worse polluters than today's cars. For those of you who remember the Los Angeles skies of the 70s and 80s, the cleanup of the air is remarkable.

So, although we find these tests to be a real PITA, the Clean Air Act has done wonders for our air quality, and California has gone the extra mile in making it even more stringent. They just have to when so many people live together. It's the price you pay for living in a populous place with lots of cars. Apparently, it is worth it.

On the other hand, the State of New Mexico has only 2 million residents, total. I think Albuquerque has smog tests, which is good because their air quality suffers at times (especially in the winter when people are using their wood stoves). Up here on the mountain (Los Alamos is on the side of the Jemez Mountains -- check it out with Google Earth!) we naturally have very clean air because there is almost always a breeze, we do not get inversions, and there are only 18,000 persons in the entire county. So, not smog tests, obviously. We have our own tradeoffs for living in a sparsely-populated state, though: There is only one major airport in the State, for example, and it's 100 miles from where I live.

Anyway -- congrats on meeting your vehicle emissions goals. Keep LA (Los Angeles, not "our" LA, Los Alamos) clean! Very Happy
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: