Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out of state in CA.. smog issues?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Out of state in CA.. smog issues? Reply with quote

So I have brought my 5th (and final.. hopefully) bus home from Oregon. I now need to register it in CA.. and deal with smog because it is a 77.

From everything I have read, as long as the bus conforms to the federal standards that were in place when the bus was manufactured, I should be fine smogging in CA.

Can anyone provide insight as to the challenges they faced when bringing an out of state bus to CA? I want to be prepared for the hassles that are no doubt ahead of me....

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bend over and brace yourself for the reamer.
do a full tune up FULL tune up check every vac hose on the car.
has to be absolutely bone stock . not 1 performance piece. at all.

and look for the most dishonest low grade smog place you can find.
maybe u can bribe him cheap.

good luck god speed

hopefully the smog nazis will have mercy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a federal model when it was imported to the states then it will need to confirm to the federal rules. If it was a California import, it will need to conform to the California model rules.

What kind of exhaust is on it currently?

Depending on what the 77 came with originally, and if yours was originally a California model or not, you may need to buy/install/repair the Catalytic converter and/or EGR valve (and the exhaust bits that would support those pieces being installed.

If your lucky all of that is already in place and may simply need a good cleaning. Depending on where in California you are you may need to smog it every other year from here on out, so if the system is trashed you may as well start tracking down good quality parts for the whole setup so your good to go in the future as well.

Hopefully it still has all of the original fuel injection equipment installed and hasn't been converted to carbs or you may have a really long list of parts needed.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Chris said and where are you in California?

You will need FI on it, PCV working, EGR working, and if it was a CA system a good catalytic. If it was Federal then you don't need the cat. You can tell whether is was a CA car two ways - the silver sticker on the drive door jamb that says catalytic or non-catalytic, and the orange sticker on the engine lid that says 49 state or California. Also the VIN will probably come up as first place sold so if someone changes stickers they may still catch it. If all the original items are there you are probably Ok but if it is an older engine where someone converted it to carbs you are in for some work and expenses. There are no waivers and you will get one 30-day permit to get it taken care of then it will be 1 day permits from there on out. Again, where are you in California?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is fuel injected and if you think it has most of the required parts for California then I suggest finding a test only smog guy and run it through the test. Try to get a guy that offers a free re-test within 30 days. If it fails due to high numbers then you can use the smog results to figure out what you need to do to get it to pass. You never know, you might just get lucky.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies.

I am located just outside of Sacramento. It is a non-ca version, which is what I was scared about.. but it seems that may be a good thing. As far as I can tell it is all bone stock, with FI and all hoses in place.

There is a test only guy down the street, so I think I will take the advice to have it tested and see where I stand.

Thanks again!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just take it in and don't say much. He just might pass it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
Thank you all for the replies.

I am located just outside of Sacramento. It is a non-ca version, which is what I was scared about.. but it seems that may be a good thing. As far as I can tell it is all bone stock, with FI and all hoses in place.

There is a test only guy down the street, so I think I will take the advice to have it tested and see where I stand.

Thanks again!

If you are in any way disatisfied with the test, take it to Mohammed at M & S smog on Auburn Blvd. He did my 77 bus and has an affection for buses. If you fail you can also bring it my home some weekend and we can take a look at it. Most likely the first thing you will want to do if it has not been cared for is replace fuel lines, vapor lines and the fuel filter. Replacing the injector seals would be a good thing too if they are more than 5 to 7 years old. I am in Citrus Heights.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fail you can also bring it my home some weekend and we can take a look at it.

Pass or fail you should still take him up on that sweet offer.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

If you are in any way disatisfied with the test, take it to Mohammed at M & S smog on Auburn Blvd. He did my 77 bus and has an affection for buses. If you fail you can also bring it my home some weekend and we can take a look at it. Most likely the first thing you will want to do if it has not been cared for is replace fuel lines, vapor lines and the fuel filter. Replacing the injector seals would be a good thing too if they are more than 5 to 7 years old. I am in Citrus Heights.

Perfect. I will make an appt with M&S tomorrow.

Thanks for the great offer as well. I am glad to hear you are so close by.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerd04 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Perfect. I will make an appt with M&S tomorrow.

Thanks for the great offer as well. I am glad to hear you are so close by.

Tell Mohammad Steve with the Green and white bus sent you and MAKE SURE you do a pre-test before a real test. If you do a pre-test and fail you won't get nailed as a gross polluter if your bus really fails. Get the print out and post it here or bring it by if you come over. Also take him you DMV papers.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell Mohammad Steve with the Green and white bus sent you and MAKE SURE you do a pre-test before a real test.

Just talked with Mohammed. Appointment set for tomorrow. Thanks again. I'll post results afterwards.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Smog Issues Reply with quote

From I understand about the smog rules, if the bus is over 30 years old, it is smog exempt. This is true for my 73 westfalia. So if you have a 77 westy, bus or what ever, it is smog exempt.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Governator nixed that rule... 75 is the new cutoff.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 cutoff? Wow that is nice. Ours is 67.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
75 cutoff? Wow that is nice. Ours is 67.

So is Nevada I hear.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading on ratwell.com that I need to have the initial smog check done at a CA Smog Referee station.. due to the bus being from out of state.

Does anyone have additional info on this?

EDIT: Just talked to the CA Bureau of Auto Repair, and I do in fact need to see a referee station. Bummer.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know you are going to flunk? You must be looking for waivers of things that aren't up to snuff. I couldn't find anything about having to see a "referee" and we just went to a regular smog shop when we bought the Sable in Florida from my parents in 2005. I got the pass certificate and took it to the DMV although they had it already electronically. 20 minutes later I walked out the door with new California plates and a temp title.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

also:

"What type of smog station can inspect my out of state car?

Any type of smog station can inspect and certify your out of state vehicle (regular smog check & repair center, smog test only center, or Gold Shield smog station) so long as it's a used vehicle with at least 7,500 miles. New vehicles can not be registered in California unless they are 50-State Emissions certified."
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down at M&S with Mohammed. Wish me luck! DMV said no referee needed.....
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. good and bad news. The good is that the emissions all check out fine. The bad is that the bus is missing the EGR filter. So I need to track one of those down to get it smogged.

Merlin, Mohammed was awesome. Very nice guy, and explained everything I need to do. Thanks again for the referral.

Last edited by edhnb on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: