Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PICT 34 volume control screw question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

I've spent my VW life with pre-70's bugs so I'm having me some fun working on a 73 lately. The "new" fangled distributors and carb specifically. I'm getting close to the finish line. But a question on adjusting the carb volume control screw.

I've looked at the Volkzbitz site where he has instructions on the initial setting up of the PICT34. He notes for the volume screw "turn the volume screw in until it comes to a stop,then turn out 4 full turns".

So I'm wondering, I can feel there's a point when closing it where the 0-ring on the screw is making resistance but the screw isn't all the way seated. I'm a little nervous about pushing ahead out of fear of messing up the 0-ring.

Do I keep going until it's fully seated or does "comes to a stop" mean when the o-ring is giving resistance?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

When that screw is "closed" it seats metal-to-metal, and is clearly
different than the friction given by the o-ring.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

But......, if the O ring is sticking and it requires an inordinate amount of torque to turn it is possible to wind the tip of the screw right through the seat down in the carb, I've seen people who have no sense of torque do it.

When in doubt remove the screw and oil the O ring.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
But......, if the O ring is sticking and it requires an inordinate amount of torque to turn it is possible to wind the tip of the screw right through the seat down in the carb, I've seen people who have no sense of torque do it.

When in doubt remove the screw and oil the O ring.

It's a new o-ring and very grabby.Taking more torgue than I like to move it. I was worried about popping it out of the groove and tearing up the o-ring, but running the screw through the carb is also interesting lol.

I like the oil idea.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

You'll know when it actually bottoms out.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PICT 34 volume control screw question Reply with quote

I wrote Tim awhile back, about a volume control o-ring that seemed a bit stiff—like it was dry, and the screw didn’t move as easily as it once did. He told me to just grease the o-ring. Doh! Captain Obcious to themrescie Shocked .

Once the o-ring is lubed, you should be able to feel the real resistance of the screw as it bottoms out.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: