Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would movers blankets work for top insulation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Would movers blankets work for top insulation Reply with quote

Was picking up something at HF the other day, and i saw those thick movers blankets. They were pretty cheap and i thought they may work to cut to the pattern on the other pop top insualtion thread (and sew it my self) i had been reading. (planning on making either one tonight or tomorrow). What do you guys and gals think? Not sure what the insulation value is on the blankets.

Let me know your thought.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea. I'll follow this one if you post results...pictures of course! Smile
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some really great window insulation fabrics out there.

Let your fingers do the walking.

Search terms, Thermal blackout, Thermal fabric, Insulating fabric, insulating quilt, insulating shade material or other.

I have seen that fabric stores carry stuff that is the following without the edge banding, I'd assume you could template, and cut your own much cheaper.

http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/Equipment/Silver_Screens/silverscreens.htm

The stuff I saw at local fabric shops were multi layered, and has a space blanket material quilted into it, and it is quite light weight, it is what I'm thinking about using.

but, there are some much thinner
Smile

Last edited by dubbified on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just made mine using radiant barrier. spent about $60 for the whole job. i'll post some pictures later. i'll include some measurements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked up the moving blankets and they are 80 inches. That might make it more of a hassle than i thought.

whynotvw, please post up your pics and any details when you can. Leaving on a trip christmas day and would like some final ideas before i dig in. Going to buy the reflectix today just to have on hand.
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple different types of moving blankets out there.

I ended up with a large quantity of moving blankets from my old job. A majority of them were nice and thick and I would be more than happy to have as a blanket in cold weather. Some are much lighter and I would be less than warm if I tried to use them for a blanket.

To answer the question of the original poster, I have used the heavier blankets to make a pop-top insulation. I did not use any template but winged it. I ended up installing snaps in the pop-top and on the blankets to hold it up.

Minus the front panel that covers the screen area I can fold down the top with the insulation installed and tucked up out of the way.

No propex just a Mr. Buddy but I have no issues camping in coldish(in Md not Maine or Canada or somewhere actually cold but...) with the top popped considering it was free, minus the cost of snaps... of which I got some from my local hardware and they were stanley, nice but when I ran out I got replacements from Lowe's and they were Bostich... like the Bostich much more as they come with screws and snap together nicely.

At work now but will take pics and post later.

Also, I made my own window blankets using fleece I got from Joann Fabrics. My aunt was researching this info for something else and learned that "Double layered" fleece is one of the best insulators. I went super ghetto on production of mine too. Used hot glue gun instead of sewing to fold over and make it double layered. Also put in snaps to hold these up. Very happy with the results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
Just looked up the moving blankets and they are 80 inches. That might make it more of a hassle than i thought.

whynotvw, please post up your pics and any details when you can. Leaving on a trip christmas day and would like some final ideas before i dig in. Going to buy the reflectix today just to have on hand.

pm me i can give you super accurate measurements and all the do's and don'ts. I made mine in about three hours including all the trips to buy the materials.

I tried it out last night and it works 100% excellent. top and the bottom stays at same temp. I also made a divider for the front cab and rear cab with the left over materials.

make sure you buy 4ftx 25ft radiant barrier. I bought mine at lowes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another design using Reflectix

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463901
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really be interested in one of these for the outside of the pop top. The screen could still be
used in a limited way. Our friends across the Atlantic have a couple of choices, when it comes
to thermal wraps for the pop top. I'd like to see one of the Big Three companys start to
import these for us here in the states if it would be in their interest? For those that follow
Club 80-90, I have been following this thread on said Thermal Warps.
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&...d22f1370f2

I guess if one is not readily available for purchase, then making ones own is what we will
have to do. Those that have made an outside the pop top version, hope you chime in and
give us your insight as well.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:

pm me i can give you super accurate measurements and all the do's and don'ts. I made mine in about three hours including all the trips to buy the materials.

Hope that you'll be able to post your information here for all the folks that would like to make
the thermal barrier. Looking at Franchers inside thermal blanket, it appears to also be
constructed of reflectix and some quilting fabric. I've bought the roll of reflectix and I am trying
to get as much information before I start to cut the roll up. I only want to do this one time.
Also I am thinking that I may try to fashion a slider thermal barrier with a zipper, for entry/exit.
I think I'll base it off of my GW slider screen door and put the snaps to the thermal doorway
in the same spots as the screen. As you said, you have made barrier behind the cab. Good
idea, lots of heat loss there.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
whynotvw wrote:

Hope that you'll be able to post your information here for all the folks that would like to make
the thermal barrier. Looking at Franchers inside thermal blanket, it appears to also be
constructed of reflectix and some quilting fabric. I've bought the roll of reflectix and I am trying
to get as much information before I start to cut the roll up. I only want to do this one time.
Also I am thinking that I may try to fashion a slider thermal barrier with a zipper, for entry/exit.
I think I'll base it off of my GW slider screen door and put the snaps to the thermal doorway
in the same spots as the screen. As you said, you have made barrier behind the cab. Good

Don't cut anything before you talk to me. Trust me Pm and me I'll give you my number. Much easier to talk to you then write. I already gave all the details to the original poster thought the phone.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
whynotvw wrote:

Don't cut anything before you talk to me. Trust me Pm and me I'll give you my number. Much easier to talk to you then write. I already gave all the details to the original poster thought the phone.

I'll send you the PM, but can you upload some pics of your handywork for us to see?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks to Jeffrey for starting this thread.

Some mods to make it so there are no gaps.

1. Note: the top front piece cut it to 55"x45" so you don't get gaps. And no need for snaps because of the snug fit.
50x43 will leave a gap like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

no gap

2. Note: on the sides go 11 1/2 x 89 x 43 two snaps on each side. i used the left over triangle pieces to double up on the sides

10x89x43 will leave a slight gap on the bottom. If I had to do the sides over again, I would make it one and half inch longer so the bottom would fit snug. The bottom fits snug from the beginning (high side) but once about the quater way it leaves this gap. Well since I'm doubling up with the left over piece its really not a big deal with the original measurement.

don't throw away left over pieces, use to double up notice two extra pieces for the sides.

using left over piece first, then snap the real one over it

3. Note: cab divider 50"x 45" i used velcro on two sides

used a velcro to attach

used a velcro to attach

4. Note: small rear doubled up 48"x12 no snaps needed

5. Note: cut it from from one side to another, don't need crazy geometry cuts. You can do the whole van with 4ft x25 ft from lowes. I used four snaps total, two on each sides and some velcro for the front.

6. Note: Finally, I used knee patch from Jo annes fabrics. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T TOUCH THE RADIANT BARRIER WITH IRON OR IT WILL BURN. Practice with some left over piece how to iron so you'll know how much to press and etc...

Once again thanks Jeffrey for the write up.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great John! Thank You!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to try it out for two nights. Worked awesome. I camped at Carlsbad San Diego beach and at day time it was about 80 degrees and at night time it was close to 40-50 degrees. At both ends the radiant barrier did a beautiful job of keep the heat in and keeping the heat out at day time. Just wanted to give heads up. Very Happy
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
at night time it was close to 40-50 degrees. Very Happy

Dude! That's a warm spring day camping up here. I come from SoCal and after living in Or, it's amazing what feels cold to people down there. We'd be wearing nothing but t-shirts if it hit 50! Test out that insulation in some real weather. Wink
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
whynotvw wrote:

Dude! That's a warm spring day camping up here. I come from SoCal and after living in Or, it's amazing what feels cold to people down there. We'd be wearing nothing but t-shirts if it hit 50! Test out that insulation in some real weather. Wink

Yeah I know, Smile but I would have to drive long ways before I can get that kind of cold weather. But really, it was bit chilly by the beach. But then again what do I know about cold, I haven't seen snow in years.

Best $60 I spent on my westy.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Would movers blankets work for top insulation Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
Was picking up something at HF the other day, and i saw those thick movers blankets. They were pretty cheap and i thought they may work to cut to the pattern on the other pop top insualtion thread (and sew it my self) i had been reading. (planning on making either one tonight or tomorrow). What do you guys and gals think? Not sure what the insulation value is on the blankets.

Let me know your thought.

Sure they would. Just cover yourself with a sheet and throw a couple of those on top of you and you will be good to go. Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
whynotvw wrote:

I live in Phoenix; 60 is frigid to me.
Laughing

I'll be picking up some Reflectix while at Lowe's today and will commence building some insulation! Thanks for the revised dimensions! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Can't wait to try it out!

I made mine an even 90" long and 45" tall (43" would've been too short for the sides in mine)... still need to cut the front angles and add Velcro. The rear is 11-1/2" x 60" (a bit long, may cut it down to 55"). Mine stands up on its own so no need for snaps, etc. along the roof.

Thanks for the idea and dimensions, everyone! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: