Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Identifying Underdash Switch Panel
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoMobilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Help Identifying Underdash Switch Panel Reply with quote

Can anyone help me identify this particular underdash switch panel. I think it's an old foglight set-up. I have never seen one of these on either a VW or Porsche. Any help will be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old chrome ashtray surround with a home brew crinkle finish insert, random panel mount lamp and 2 Type II rear interior lamp switches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its a home brew job
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
I dont think its a home brew job
X2!!

but that's not saying it is/was A VW item, the switch panel may have been sold at A truck stop? I don't know! but it don't look home made to me..
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a generic panel, but the switches are clearly VW. The panel just doesn't look like something VW would have made. To me it lacks that "German made to look factory" look. Not that it's not a cool piece though. I'm planning something similar for the front and rear foglamps for my 72 Super.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the basis of style, it isn't VW, but it's a homebrew made pretty well, with a chrome surround appearing somewhat like speedo or radio bezels of that era VW, and genuine VW switches. Maybe a Bus light, too. If you have to add switches, this is the way to go.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I agree on the basis of style, it isn't VW, but it's a homebrew made pretty well, with a chrome surround appearing somewhat like speedo or radio bezels of that era VW, and genuine VW switches. Maybe a Bus light, too. If you have to add switches, this is the way to go.

If that's home made, I want to spend some time in that guys shop Shocked .. that guy Has A spot welder, A metal brake, ext.. ignore the chrome bezel! just look at the black part, see the spot welds? back in the 70s there weren't home welders, let alone home spot welders, back then everyone brazed or ark welded.. look at the 90* bends, that wasn't dun by hand! it was dun with A press or A brake(my money is on A press). then the mounting holes, thy are oblong, how many guys can and do that? and how many guys can do it that nice in there home shop?(my moneys on the press agen Wink ) Then you have the paint, if that the stuff I think it is It wasn't in A spry can back then, that stuff is rock hard, thy make it in A spry can now for people restoring stuff like that, but back in the 1970s 80s that stuff wasn't available to Joe blow that wanted to do some spry painting.

I still say its A generic panel sold at some truck stop back in the 70's that some one put in there VW with some VW accessory switches Wink

Last edited by vw_hank on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i assume hank must be pretty young, spray cans were well available in the 60's. as a teenage graffiti hooligan back then i do know what i'm talking about. Laughing
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
i assume hank must be pretty young, spray cans were well available in the 60's. as a teenage graffiti hooligan back then i do know what i'm talking about. Laughing
nope, not that young Wink I dont remember ever seeing crinkle finish graffiti?
what do you got to say about the metal bending and welding techniques? did the teenage graffiti hooligans all have spot welding guns, and metal brakes also?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
oorwullie wrote:
nope, not that young Wink I dont remember ever seeing crinkle finish graffiti?
what do you got to say about the metal bending and welding techniques? did the teenage graffiti hooligans all have spot welding guns, and metal brakes also?

The ones who took metal shop in school did.

You would be amazed at what kind of "government jobs" are completed in some of the shops around the automotive prototype community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean he made it all himself, from mining the ores to casting, stamping, welding. I just meant he took parts from other cars and put together a reasonable-looking VW switch panel, one that looks pretty stock even thogh it is not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: