Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Project "Frankfurt Flyer"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed Project "Frankfurt Flyer" Reply with quote

Hi All,
I wanted to share a couple pictures of a project I've been working on. It all began when I was 15 years old, reading "Excellence Was Expected", I caught a glimpse of what I thought was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen. It was the first of Walter Glockler's "Specials".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The very early cars used a Hanomog running gear, then went on using VW components and finally, when Porsche approached Glockler about his car, they struck a deal on running Porsche drivetrain in the racer. Some claim this is the car that inspired and actually became the 550 Spyder.

I have always wanted to own the #1 series Glockler Special but the only one I've heard of that exists, is in a private owners collection who prefers to remain anonymous. So, after doing some research I found a nearly identical chassis setup in a Formula Vee car and scratch-built my own buck using the Glockler as inspiration.

Here you can see the panels being mocked up.

I have had the pleasure of having Tom Bruch coach me along on a Vintage Speed motor for the car as well. Bit by bit I am building an alloy bodied racer that hopefully will see the light of day next summer...

The car build is documented at http://themotoringjournal.com/as well if you'd like more in depth details. I visit this forum every few months but will try to post more updates as time allows.

Happy Motoring~
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! It would be awesome to see it on the Salt.
I can't wait to see more.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments. I do hope to bring it to Bonneville at some point. Although my focus is somewhat more on the body/styling I would love to see what the 36'er is capable of. I am using the actual Isky 2-J cam Tom set a record with in the 60's in my motor. I think it still has a few runs left in it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I saw a Porsche Cooper at Road Atlanta in the pits. It was a single seater very similar to this car, it looked as though someone had taken a foot and a half out of the middle of a 550. The bodywork was highly polished aluminum, it was stunning. Unfortunately no one was around to ask anything about the car so I just took a bunch of pictures on my trust old 35mm Pentax. I'll see if I can find and scan a couple to post. I also got ot see and touch a real RSK a couple of pit stalls down from the Cooper.

Keep us posted on your progress, I know this is one of my favorite kind of threads.

brad
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work Mr. Quattro. Beautiful to see your progression on the buck You must be both a master cabinet maker as well as metal worker.

Please do keep showing us your Glockler.And you have a good man helping with Bville Tom.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I'm always in awe of people who can turn a dream into reality with their own hands...a great credit to you.

There's another handbuilt creation going on in a Samba topic at the moment you might be interested in: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392490
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work. looking forward to how this progresses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work! Thank you so much for sharing.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a fun build to watch.

Mike
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Years ago I saw a Porsche Cooper at Road Atlanta in the pits. It was a single seater very similar to this car, it looked as though someone had taken a foot and a half out of the middle of a 550. The bodywork was highly polished aluminum, it was stunning. Unfortunately no one was around to ask anything about the car so I just took a bunch of pictures on my trust old 35mm Pentax. I'll see if I can find and scan a couple to post. I also got ot see and touch a real RSK a couple of pit stalls down from the Cooper.

Keep us posted on your progress, I know this is one of my favorite kind of threads.

brad

The Porsche Cooper was commonly referred to as the 'Pooper'...

bnc
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "pooper" is a nice looking little car.

Mike
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brad,
I really like the looks of the little Porsche "Pooper". I have seen several pictures of it, more recently as it was campaigned in silver. I would really like to see your pictures.

@John,
That "Okrasa Special" is a unique looking car. I see Ford GT40 along with some 904 styling. It's definitely one of a kind. Sometimes I pretend I found my car in a barn as a project someone started 50 years ago!

Here's a quick update on the project.

Steering wheel has been purchased!

As I worked my way down the drivers side toward the nose I did some improvising by flaring the wheel arch. Since I took this picture, I have rolled the arch and they look really killer.

I have been fortunate to have apprenticed with a master fabricator and interior expert who is also a 3rd generation Aeroplane wrench... Every piece I make I can hear his voice telling me what to do!

As you can see this very bubbly compound section in the back took some motivation. I was quite frustrated as the metal I'm using seems to be acting up.

After a phone call to my metal supplier I found they had sent me .050 5052 tensile strength alloy. This is too rigid for hand hammering like I do! Even some of the best builders, according to books I've read, have a hard time making it move with larger tools like the "Yoder". I'm on a steep learning curve but I now have .050 3003 grade coming from my supplier.

Here's a quick look at the seat I built.

It has been shaved and perfected since that last pic. I am now working on the frame. It fits the cockpit perfectly!

I'm now working on the motor for a while until my aluminum arrives. It will probably be close to two weeks before I start on the body again...

Last edited by Chris R on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update, all looks really great.

Mike
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture update- The nose is taking shape. As you might know I'm pretty new to all of this shaping business and it's something I am really developing a passion for. I'm learning a ton as I go...

The fenders are now welded but the nose is held in place with Cleco's until I decide on a few things. I want the clip to be removable for access to mechanicals underneath.

The fenders are by far the most difficult to shape. This is the type of project that wakes you up in the middle of the night with an "ah-ha" moment, if you know what I mean. My wife thinks I'm crazy drawing up designs and notes at 3am... But it's something I love to do.

I hope to have the body pretty well finished in the next six weeks and then work on the structural support for it after that. My father has started to hang around my workshop as of late and is getting excited about installing a wiring harness... Using our prehistoric photochop, below you get an idea what headlights might look like.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that looks sweet!

Now, if you just leave the headlights off, you have the beginnings of a streamliner.........................

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burly I was thinking the same thing, that's why they've been left out until now... I was thinking of making pods similar to the rally cars of the 60's. Then I could simply have a spot they mount onto the lower hood/nose area and are removed easy enough. It would look something like the Petermax Muller car.

The lines look so nice without the headlights. You can see in a couple pictures of the original Glocklers they have aluminum headlight covers screwed in over the lights. That might be an option too.

The original purchaser of the Formula Vee chassis in this car bought it and registered it for the street. I am now working on tracking him down to acquire the registration and get it current in my state. How killer would that be to have this car street legal!
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It HAS to become street legal, no matter what else you do with it! Then you can enjoy it an additinal 98% of the time..................

Burly
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some more progress on the car. Here are a couple photo's.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is looking bad A&$, I wonder how it would look with a set of salt flat discs [moon caps] on the wheels? keep up the good work!

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: