Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

When I need parts and don't want to order them, I have 2 places I can drive to. One is SoCal Imports, the other Bill and Steve's. I have never thrown away parts before until I purchased from SoCal. I live 40 miles away and I have thrown away an alternator pulley, an coil mount, and now a bushing kit for the transmission.

I went there Saturday and purchased transmission mounts, bushing kit, and I told them I needed the alternator strap for my 78 Fuel Injected Super. The guy brought out all the parts and I asked him what the big hose clamp thing was. He told me it was my alternator bracket. I said not for my car, mine uses a bracket type assembly to hold it in place. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about and then started speaking Spanish to the other customers and laughing at me. He just took the part out of my order and sent me on my way.

I called Bill and Steve's and they knew what I needed and had it in stock, so I rode up to their store. They laughed when I came in and said they were going to charge me more, because they knew I was at Socal, because I couldn't get there that fast if I was at home. They know me and how far I live from the store, lol.

The looked for the strap for the alternator, found one, I went ahead and bought an extra clutch and accelerator cable, cause I told them I would last time I was in. As I was loading the stuff into the saddlebags on the Harley, the guy came out and brought another style alternator strap out and said I think this is the one you need. I looked and sure enough, I know it is the right one. He just told me to take them both and bring back the one I don't need.
Today I went to install the new bushings in the transmission shifter linkage and the press in bushing is junk. Too big, and after trying to massage it, it's trash.

I have learned my lesson on cheap parts. The guys at Bill and Steve's are great, their parts are quality and they appreciate the business. They know me and my Harley and I am going to give them my business 100% going forward. Tomorrow I ride up and get a new bushing kit and also the reverse light switch and be done with the transmission for a while.

Click to view image
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

I've given away shitty parts before, but I've never been laughed at by a parts shop employee. What a dick.

Nice that you found a shop that actually cares. If you have to order stuff, Wolfsburg West and CB Performance have given me excellent customer service and don't stock crappy parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Hey brother. I completely hear you. What a story you related. I live approx. 25 miles to the north of those two clown stores. One only needs to walk past the front door to smell the EMPI stench permeating the interior. I admit to purchasing many items from both mentioned stores but having to drive the distance to Bill & Steve's to return stuff because it didn't even fit the application sucked.
I currently use a European Car parts store that caters to the BMW/Mercedes/etc crowd, to include shops. Most everything needed comes from a few distributor warehouses in SoCal. The store is in my town and will have nearly anything within a day, or so. This is how customer service used to be!!
The VW aftermarket system is totally fuckd up and probably beyond repair.
20 to 30 years ago working at dealers and independents in the LA South Bay region I had approx. 100 regular side work clients. My parts sources were the dealer and two independent buggy shops, all within a 5 mile radius. Nowadays, I may work on a car or two and until I found my local source might have to drive to the two prior mentioned clown stores and deal with their crap.
The one positive thing different between 20-30 years ago and today is the tenacity of certain individuals to will seek out a better resolution to the old age quality parts issue.
Hope this helps, Bill.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

In the past folks have raved about Bill & Steve's. They are like many of the other shops, so consumer beware.
True story. I worked on a barn find 71 super about 5 years ago. I installed a new master cyl, both switches, 4 wheel cylinders, and additional parts. Well a couple months later the owner is stopped by LAPD for inop stop lights. She explained the situation with a barn find car and no ticket issued. I contact Bill & Steve's and inform the counter guy what was the warranty for brake parts he said no warranty. I said I just had your two switches fail and I would be there in an hour to replace them. Found out they were Chinese and since they had no quality switches in stock got a refund. This was probably my beginning to going outside the normal air-cooled vw pats network, and haven't regretted it at all.
Bill.
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

I haven't been in the VW community for long, but in that short time i've realized how crap aftermarket parts are. I was told by someone that I am lucky for realizing this early on.

But I would also say don't just trust one shop. I live one city over from WW and have bought many things there over the counter, most is high quality and you pay for it, but i have also had some things from there that were not the best and didn't fit. What i'm coming to realize is no matter how good the shop, do your research on every part you need and buy whatever people recommend the most. some brands are good for some parts, crap for others, etc.

just my two cents.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

I haven't been in the VW community for long, but in that short time i've realized how crap aftermarket parts are. I was told by someone that I am lucky for realizing this early on.

But I would also say don't just trust one shop. I live one city over from WW and have bought many things there over the counter, most is high quality and you pay for it, but i have also had some things from there that were not the best and didn't fit. What i'm coming to realize is no matter how good the shop, do your research on every part you need and buy whatever people recommend the most. some brands are good for some parts, crap for others, etc.

just my two cents.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:

just my two cents.

This is the takeaway. We are dealing with an ever shrinking amount of quality German parts, and have to do the best with the rest. All shops/brands/manufacturers are capable of putting garbage on the market, and quality stuff as well. A couple of years ago the best CV boots you could get for a Baywindow Bus were EMPI. This is not a sad fact, they just happened to have the best quality boots for a while, then another run is made from another manufacturer that are better, and for a while, that is the best part on the market.
Wolfsburg West is certainly capable of selling junk. Search the forums about their fuel pump rebuild kits. However if you need floor pans or new fenders or a German master cylinder, they are selling top quality.
The reality is you have to do some research on the individual parts you need. Takes time on the front end but you will thank yourself. There are a couple of parts suppliers that take the time to curate the best selection, and are up front about what they are selling you. Aircooled.net is such a place. They don't really pull punches with their product descriptions and have great customer support. Bughaus and Bug City also come to mind. Places like SoCal Imports, JBugs, CIP1, MAM, etc...generally they just want your money and try to stock every available new part they can without regard for quality. The part just needs to be "in stock" The Chinese switches are a perfect example. They all suck. I went through about 4 oil pressure switches from Euromax in like 2 months until I finally bought a pricier Hella switch, which has been working now for over 5 years, no problem. Brake switches are terrible too. Look up brake switches for a Vanagon, 3 prong style. There are still German ones out there, and they are very good.

TL;DR- do the research.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Jeff_Birt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Vendors sell what people want to buy. A large percentage of folks are of the opinion that cheap is good. Thus we have vendors who sell cheap crap because they will not have any sales if they try to sell quality stuff while trying to compete with the cheap crap from China flooding the market. It is also why people will go on Ebay and buy tons of crap every year.

There is also another group of folks in the VW scene who are infatuated with 'German' parts. So vendors mark everything 'German' even if it was made someplace else by a German owned company. As long as you can feel superior for buying 'German' parts then it is OK.

If you want good parts/stuff you have to seek out good suppliers and tell them you want good quality stuff. If you have a choice of quality level then ask what the difference really is between them. A supplier that will take the time to talk to you about what you are doing and try to set you up with the correct parts is the type of supplier you want to deal with.

I run a small business and see this every day. Last year I had a guy call me and he was wanting to buy about $600 worth of parts. I talked to him about his application and found out he did not need all of that stuff and saved him $200. Then he has the gall to say, "but so and so has this part for $5 less", expecting me to give him $5 off. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with this guy, saved him $200 and made sure he was getting the parts he really needed and he wants to bitch about $5! Or, a guy will buy something from another supplier because it is a bit cheaper but the other supplier doesn't; know jack crap about it and won't provide any tech support. So they call me wanting me to provide them tech support for free!

Moral of the story is do you homework on the parts and vendors, support the vendors who sell good parts and provide good service. The couple of bucks you will save from cheapcrapfromchina.com will cost you more in the end.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Are you talking about one of these alternator straps?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I run one on both my cars. I've got fairly large built motors in them, and I can rev them up much faster than a stock engine (and with more torque), and I can really crank these straps do to help keep the alt from moving around on the stand.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

It is sad that most "local" VW parts places that are still around suck. I have one place within 5 miles of me. I've "tried" to use them to buy parts but every time I've tried, their prices are double what I pay online. I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience, but not double. So, I gave up and unless I'm desperate, I order everything this way. That place can close up for all I care and I'm surprised it hasn't.

The other issue that's plagued the VW parts vendors or online vendors is terrible customer service on the phone when you call them. Most of these vendors spend zero time training their employees on customer service skills and product knowledge. As a result you get folks who are rude, indifferent and come across as not giving a shit whether you order or not. Product knowledge? Yea right. They don't know anything about what they are selling.

Wolfsburg West is recognized as being a top VW parts vendor. They have terrible "sales people" who answer the phone. Just as I described above. They've also been selling more and more known junk as well. I still order from them the good parts they sell, but always online to avoid having to speak to their "sales team"..

This overall situation has caused all of us veteran classic VW owners to not be loyal to any one business anymore. We have to be our own best researcher to figure out what part is the best and who sells it at the best price point.

There is a market for original German quality parts. A small percentage of experienced VW owners know it's worth paying double the price for a quality part vs. the Chinese POS. The sad part is the majority of VW owners are cheap and only shop on price. As a result, the EMPI's of the world will continue to pump out that Chinese crapola.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Cant wait to show off my restoration when I create my build thread. My bug has had parts sourced from junkyards, CIP1, jbugs, WW, and others. Hopefully I dont run into many issues. LOL a lot of people post how crappy companies parts are and then i think as soon as i get in my bug it'll just completely fall apart like in a movie. Laughing
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

I mentioned in a post last week I would love to have a "Samba Approved" list of parts and where to source them. Any ideas on how we might start such a thing?

Ray
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

...Wolfsburg West is recognized as being a top VW parts vendor. They have terrible "sales people" who answer the phone. Just as I described above. They've also been selling more and more known junk as well. I still order from them the good parts they sell, but always online to avoid having to speak to their "sales team"..

Hate to say this, but this has been my experience every time I've spoken w/WW over the phone since I got back into ACVWs just over 5 years ago.

I've also thrown away parts from SoCal. I'm picky w/CIP1 & JBugs but have generally had very good phone support from them. Bughaus is ok, although I couldn't get an answer for the source of the strut bearings they sell - $69 from them, $44 from JBugs. You know JBugs is probably Chinese crap, but why pay $20 if it's also Chinese crap?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Fe2O3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

I agree with most everything said so far. I don't necessarily think this is a VW specific issue, though. The "Chinese crap" quality issue seems to have infiltrated nearly every product line out there.
It's definitely made me consider getting out of VWs and they've been in my family since the mid-60s.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Jeff_Birt wrote:

I run a small business and see this every day. Last year I had a guy call me and he was wanting to buy about $600 worth of parts. I talked to him about his application and found out he did not need all of that stuff and saved him $200. Then he has the gall to say, "but so and so has this part for $5 less", expecting me to give him $5 off. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with this guy, saved him $200 and made sure he was getting the parts he really needed and he wants to bitch about $5!

That was me Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

RoboRay wrote:
I mentioned in a post last week I would love to have a "Samba Approved" list of parts and where to source them. Any ideas on how we might start such a thing?

Ray

I hear you brother. It would be a massive undertaking to assure some level of accuracy, non bias, opinions, etc. It might have to be broken down to categories, IE: engine, trans, drive line, body in a similar manner as to the VW parts number system or like the Bentley manual chapters. The moderators might just think the feedback is sufficient, but it wouldn't address the actual part and/or its origin.
Thank you and your point got me thinking, Bill.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
RoboRay wrote:

Ray

I hear you brother. It would be a massive undertaking to assure some level of accuracy, non bias, opinions, etc. It might have to be broken down to categories, IE: engine, trans, drive line, body in a similar manner as to the VW parts number system or like the Bentley manual chapters. The moderators might just think the feedback is sufficient, but it wouldn't address the actual part and/or its origin.

This is exactly why it would never work. There would be absolutely no way to moderate the bias. For every one person who submitted something to the list, swearing that it was the only sourced part that worked for him, there would be several others arguing that they have used another sourced part for years with no problems.

The current feedback system in place on here now is about the best anyone can hope for.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
When I need parts and don't want to order them, I have 2 places I can drive to. One is SoCal Import...

I went there Saturday and purchased transmission mounts, bushing kit, and I told them I needed the alternator strap for my 78 Fuel Injected Super. The guy brought out all the parts and I asked him what the big hose clamp thing was. He told me it was my alternator bracket. I said not for my car, mine uses a bracket type assembly to hold it in place. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about and then started speaking Spanish to the other customers and laughing at me. He just took the part out of my order and sent me on my way.

This is extremely weird since I had an incredible experience with SoCal during my first(and only) interaction with them last month.

I ordered the correct front brake hoses for my '71 SB, according to their catalog and when I received them, I quickly realized they were too short. I emailed SoCal and within 5 minutes of my email being sent, I received a call from Andy who had some questions regarding my car and from our conversation we determined my bug had a '74 front strut which houses the hose clamps in a different position and therefore the hoses were too short. He sent me new ones(correct ones) at no charge and had me keep the ones I mistakenly ordered and told me to keep the other ones.

So to hear that the type of disrespect you received would be allowed to happen is rather weird, considering my experience. Maybe reach out to Andy and pass your information so that the bad apple is removed from the tree. No need to put a whole business down, if it wasn't the owner who caused the situation. Just my 2 cents.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
That was me Razz

No, I'm Spartacus !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I've learned my lesson on cheap parts, no more Reply with quote

Im not a fan of socal either.but I do like that clamp much better than the strap thingy. socal has awesome prices in thier adds...and then 4x the shipping to ya....and call it cost...yup thats what it cost you . after them,cip and a few other places is when I started getting my main items from cb&2 other places....I did however get a throttel cable from oprileys last week only took them a day and cheeper than free shipping from a vw vender...and...it has a graphite impregnated sheeth on it oh so sweet& silky smooth action for $6.99+tax many of your local store have or can get the parts usualy in better brands than many vw places have at...cheeper or comparitive prices with no shippen too. do your homework.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: