Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Bumper Uprights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Split Bumper Uprights Reply with quote

I have this set of three bumper uprights and just noticed that they are different. The one on the left has different bumper contour than the other two. Both could very well be repros, but they are pressed steel, not brass.

And the one on the left is actually SHORTER than the other two in spite of what the pic looks like. I took the pic off to one side and slanted the camera.

Any comments on the differences? Anyone hove a known original? They can't BOTH fit a bumper well, and I don't think that there are differences in the profile between the front and back bumpers?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks

JH

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, are there any marking inside the upright? It could potentially be from another make of car

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked them on the 3 split bumpers I have (you would have thought I would have tried that before I posted this, huh?) and the small one doesn't fit on any. The top to bottom dimension of the profile is about 7-8mm too small. The other two fit nicely on the split bumpers, on one the fit is very nice.

Anyone have any idea what this other one might be from. Without sizing it up, it is VERY similar in appearance to the VW ones....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea have you tryed them on a oval blade bumper might be an after market part from back in the day. as i think split ones look a bit more stylish/going for them.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that each has wrong fixing screw?
New projects
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: