Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugginOUT4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could make out that code and tell me the gear ratio I have?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about transmissions,

I was wondering what swing axel tranny has the best gear ratio for highway driving. Right now i drive a 65 ghia with a stock transmission and 1600dp engine. i also have a 67 ghia laying around. so how much better gearing is in that one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be sure how Bugs were equipped for sale in Sweden. But for the US market, all Bugs (deluxe model ONLY sold here) and Ghias were only equipped with a 4.37:1 ratio from 1961 through 1967. !968 (last year for swing axle in the US market, but swingaxle Bugs were sold right up to the end of production in Mexico in 2003) through 1972 got 4.12:1, and 1973 and later single side plate trans got 3.88:1. Other ratios are available from aftermarket sources. Bugs and maybe Ghias were sold in the European market with 1300 engines also, so ratios for those may be different from what we were provided in the US market.

Now...
What will work well on your Ghia, if it is a relatively stock street only car (not offroad with big tires), then the 4.37 will provide the best acceleration, while the 4.12 will provide a lower rpm for highway cruising, and 3.88 will provide an even lower rpm for highway, but will be more sluggish to accelerate. Bigger offroad tires will affect performance substantially.

For a car which will be used offroad a fair amount, the higher numerical ratio of 4.37 will serve best. The correct answer depends on your car and how you are going to use it and what factors are important to you. There is no one correct answer. Whether you use 60cm tires or 90cm tires makes a huge difference.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I live in Texas not Sweden, (I need to chance that)

I would like it to be better driving at higher speeds, like 80ish on the highway.
Right now I have pretty stock tires, (165/80-15) in the rear,
..so either a 72 beetle trans or a 73 beetle trans would work for me, and the 73- would be better than the 72. How difficult is it to find one of them? and are they expensive to buy used (relative to other vw transmissions?)
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a thought that may or may not come to fruition of putting a turbo on my car, not sure how that would affect the car if I have a transmission from a 73 bug

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=40
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinkyZulu wrote:
First off I live in Texas not Sweden, (I need to chance that)

I would like it to be better driving at higher speeds, like 80ish on the highway.
Right now I have pretty stock tires, (165/80-15) in the rear,
..so either a 72 beetle trans or a 73 beetle trans would work for me, and the 73- would be better than the 72. How difficult is it to find one of them? and are they expensive to buy used (relative to other vw transmissions?)

Speed limits in Sweden, Texas MUST be different than in California. Not that nobody ever cruises at 80, but they're likely to be seeing red before long if they make a habit of it.

So is this a street style Bug or is it low-profile Baja that looks silly with stock size tires?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit in Texas is 70, (80 on some roads) and yeah the cops are hard asses in this county ( my uncle got a ticket for going 2 mph over the speed limit) I definitely intend to get a V1 radar detector before making my car any faster!
and I drive a 65 Karmann Ghia, lowered 3inches on dropped spindles and running stock wheels,
I also have a 67 Ghia that's in a state of disrepair, I might just fix the floors in that one, get the engine running, swap out the transmission and stick a turbo on that one instead. I just need a concrete slab to work on!
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grey one is my 65 and the blue is my 67

jeepit88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: 6 bolt ring an pinion Reply with quote

I am having problems finding a 6 bolt ring and pinion for a swing axle trans 4.375 ratio code on the trans is 6453275 can someone please help
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any '61-66 swingaxle trans should have that R&P.
SoCalBajas Member
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to go to a web site called "thesamba.com" and search the classifieds for "R&P", "RING & PINION" and "RING AND PINION"

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
jeepit88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you found the ring an pinion! so my next question which side does the ring gear go in I cant find any info on that its in a dune buggy
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

Hi, my "DC" IRS type3 transmission SSC single side cover......4.125 or 3.875?

This is my IRS trans for my baja project......

Regards....
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

in the USA an SSC would almost certainly be 3.875. not necessarily so in other countries. try putting a pressure plate on it, rotating that, counting how many times the you have to rotate the pressure plate to roll the CVs once. mark both CV and pressure plate. keep in mind 4th could be .82 or .89, so you will have to divide the result by those numbers and see which comes out closest to 3.875 or 4.125

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
in the USA an SSC would almost certainly be 3.875. not necessarily so in other countries. try putting a pressure plate on it, rotating that, counting how many times the you have to rotate the pressure plate to roll the CVs once. mark both CV and pressure plate. keep in mind 4th could be .82 or .89, so you will have to divide the result by those numbers and see which comes out closest to 3.875 or 4.125

I compare my DC type3 trans with AT transmission (1303, 3.875)... Definitly there is a difference, 1st, 2nd and 3rd AT trans with fewer turns pressure plate for 1 cv turn, but 4th AT is very similar to 4th DC transmission.
My DC definitely should 4.125, but will have 0.82 or 0.89 4th? ...

What is similar to 4th AT tranny final drive?
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

Here the 70/80's Kombi Brazil Rhino case IRS transmission (1600cc) code PF 081, steel covers .... Seems to be a good alternative for off road Bajas/buggies. ...

Specs;

- 1 : 5.143 R&P (7x36)
-1º 3.80
-2º 2.06
-3º 1.32
-4º 0.88
Rev.3.88

Best.
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

Found this thread and it has got the "gears turning" in my head. Without a doubt there is some great info in here and I appreciate the time taken to share knowledge. I've got some decisions to be made and it all revolves around tire size and transmission choice. I know, I know, this has been talked about and talked about on this sight, but bare with me. In my searching I've found tons of info that gets me close, but haven't yet found a situation that matches mine.

Until I up my compression slightly and go to 88's, I've got a rail with a 1641 (dual carbs and 110 cam) and a Sedan Tranny with 4.125 gears. My current 20+ year old rear tires are 31x11.50x15 on 15x9 steel wheels. It's time for some new tires, and until now, I've never really given tire diameter / R&P ratio gearing much thought....as this tire size is all I've ever known. I originally thought I'd go back with some 31x10.5 BFG all-terrains, but after reading some of these post regarding tire diameter and gearing I'm starting to rethink that choice.

I need some advice on an acceptable tire size (or diameter) with my current Sedan transmission with 4.12 gearing....But, let me also state that I do have an 002 bus transmission, CA040 code, that can be a usable option as well. I would assume that the gearing is 5.38? I have another rail that I plan on extending to make a family friendly 4-seater, and was leaning towards using the Bus Tranny for that application...but I'm currently unsure which route would suit me best. In my current rail, I typically drive offroad on fairly flat gravel/dirt road trails and the occasional sandbar/sand creak....but nothing crazy. However, I'm seriously eyeballing the end goal of getting it licensed for the street, so with that in mind the gearing and tire height suddenly becomes important.

That's really where I could use some wisdom. In my situation, would you advise me to keep the Sedan Tranny and get (__x___x___) tire size that would complement both street and offroad with the best acceptable performance and look for a sand rail?..... Or, go with the tall geared 002 and (__x___x___) tires to compensate for R&P gearing?

If anyone could evoke some wisdom here, It would be appreciated.

Below is a pic of my rail (lighter colored one) for reference.

HerrFink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN D wrote:
Here you go ---
Bus Information
CA - CD 68 - 71 / 002 5:38 / 3 Rib
CE - CL 72 - 73 / 002 5:38 / 3 Rib
CM - CN 74 - 75 / 002 4:86 / 5 Rib
CP - CX 76 - 79 / 091 4:57 / 6 Rib
Serial Number Information
CM02 10 3
CM = Leter Code
02 = Day of Production / 2nd day of month
10 = Month of Production / October
3 = Year of Production / 1973

John 0\ ! /0

The above doesn't make sense for the stampings on "CA" stamped 002's
ABn82 stated his was: CA 041 4945
My stamp has: CA 056 6825

So there must have been a different convention for these. I also have a single letter Q stamped on the top side of the transmission.

randydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja bugs for Volkswagen virgins: The IRS transmission Reply with quote

I have the early one to have.It has two drain plugs AH 1485934 is the code. Its in a factory matching numbers with matching motor autostick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: