Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find 59 Euro ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan's dad. I've known your son for, well a long time now. Let's see, since he was driving a light blue 66 Bug Laughing

Anyway, if it was a beige color, it was probably L343 Kalahari Beige. Nice looking color.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You should definately repaint it the original color.

Oh and read the 58/59 Discussion thread, it's a sticky at the top of this forum. 58/59's are unique and really neat cars and that thread will tell you anything you wanted to know and more.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good looking color. Soon as I get the pecan shells out of it I will look up the color code. Even if I change the color I will keep it a true vw color for that year. I'm one of those that likes original unless the car is so bad it dosent mater.
I remember the blue 66 since he did most of the work in my garage. We had dune buggies, bugs and buses in the yard at one time.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for politely pursuing and finally purchasing the Beetle!

As to the taillights, I'd wait to see if the ones now on the car fully work- like if there is a separate switch for the semaphores or if the sema's come out together with the blinkers. In the early to mid 60's Germany came out with a law which did not allow working semaphores anymore. This could have coincided with VW and all other German manufacturers dropping them for the '61 model year. Most people with the semaphore cars had to also disable them, installing the '62-style taillights and then had to add or rig the wiring for the blinkers. Most likely Belgium, as well as the rest of Europe had the same law. So you can regard these taillights as a "period-correct" upgrade. It would not be improper to keep them on the car, since it was a part of the car's active history in keeping it on the road. In 1983 I attended the Bad Camberg vintage VW meet in Germany while I was working in northern Germany and remember seeing these taillights on most pre-'61 Beetles which were driven to the meet. It was an incorrect detail which you had to live with if you wanted to drive the cars on public roads. This was long before the "H" (historic) license plates were issued. Meanwhile, many early Beetles have small auxiliary blinkers installed above or below the bumper blades as an alternative, so they could keep the original factory-installed taillights.

You hinted at the car's condition when you mentioned it was stored in a tin shed. How is the floorpan as to any rust/rot? If it's not bad, and if the heater channels and rockers are solid, do you think you really need to take the body off the pan for the restoration and repaint?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '58 euro rag top(with semi's) i found similiar to yours, not in a barn but in a garage probably made for a model-A and had been there 10 yrs. Caught the door open and came back and talked to owner, loaned me his tow bar an now is mine. He had never even look inside as it was piled pretty full in back seat, no eng but i have correct series one to replace. 2 sets of semifores in glove box and turned out radio in back correct Blau(?-spelling?) ,don't know if it works yet, was really solid body and the rest of parts there. It's going back'' close' to orig as a driver, not as a fully restored show type, did that route with a '57 oval, i want to enjoy it.
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the pans look solid but we have not cleaned it up yet. There is the standard rust on the heater box behind the front wheels. they patched it with fiberglass. If we can get by without taking the body off the pan then thats just all better. We will know more in a few days as we start cleaning it up.
As for the lights I plan on putting it all back original and adding blinkers to the bumpers. No Drilling. And I would like to get the semaphores working again. They are just way to cool.
Thanks for the history Im doing a lot of reading and learning on VW's right now.
gotpatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find!

re:semaphores
take them out and clean up the connections really well. i thought mine were shot but was just bad connections. try running them off the battery to test, +6 to bottom terminal and ground the metal frame.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more pictures up now and in gallery
This is where it was found resting

It had been parked there a long time this shed was not in good condition either. Some of the roof had already fallen in and in about 5 years the shed could have fallen all the way.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this picture first time its seen the light in a good while

and the journey onto the trailer begins

and headed home where it will be cleaned and worked on

Going to get it rolling today since we have to return the trailer that was loaned to us. So it will be on its wheels out of the way, since we have already found the old Belgium license plate we are going to sift through the junk under the hood see what else is there be fore we power up the pressure washer to clean it off.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I had a 59 Euro model. Like mentioned above a few modifications to meet the USA market. The overriders on the bumpers and not single blade bumpers, Turn signals added to the fenders but still had semaphore that were disconnected. The rear lights were still the snowflake variety. Interestingly the body did not have holes in it for the bumper overrider supports. Several knowledgeable old time VW guys said it was a true Euro body for the Euro market.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holes for the overriders on this one look like they were cut out with a hole saw. More than likely just going to weld the holes and go back to the single blade.
65 dlx Slow build
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The license plate is dated 1983 so it has been under that she'd for 28 to 29 years. Long time! Looking at the pans they could be repaired but I just don't like patches if I can help it. So it's getting new pans. Looks more and more like pan of restore.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouBugMe58 wrote:
The license plate is dated 1983 so it has been under that she'd for 28 to 29 years. Long time! Looking at the pans they could be repaired but I just don't like patches if I can help it. So it's
getting new pans. Looks more and more like pan of restore.

Thats awesome, its amazing how long some cars sit before they get rescued. My 58 sat from 72 til 95 when I found it.

Hey, do you have any interior pics you can share yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have some more pics soon, got a decent amount to clean out of it first. Lots of pecans, lots..
65 dlx Slow build
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know this its cloth interior.
65 dlx Slow build
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got some bad news the hood is wrong, 3 tab vw emblem.
65 dlx Slow build
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small release on top you need to lift it up. Don't just yank them open. If its not rusted, just wont open. Lift the small tab on top with a small pic tool or screwdriver.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubnut58 wrote:
There is a small release on top you need to lift it up. Don't just yank them open. If its not rusted, just wont open. Lift the small tab on top with a small pic tool or screwdriver.

Thanks for that info should help out for sure.
65 dlx Slow build
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this hidden in the back.
65 dlx Slow build
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished cleaning the 59 out. Some things not as bad as I thought and some visa versa. Both pans have to be replaced, both A pillars where they meet the heater channel need repair, left B pillar needs patching. The hood is the wrong year. Found bondo in places.
Car is still 6 volts, not sure if I want to keep that part, what y'all think.

On the other hand I found the original oil bath breather behind the back seat.

Removed about 20 gallons of peacons, believe the squirrels used it as a storage bin. On the other hand there was no rat poop or signs of rats at all.

To dark for pictures will take some tomarrow.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouBugMe58 wrote:
Just finished cleaning the 59 out. Some things not as bad as I thought and some visa versa. Both pans have to be replaced, both A pillars where they meet the heater channel need repair, left B pillar needs patching. The hood is the wrong year. Found bondo in places.
Car is still 6 volts, not sure if I want to keep that part, what y'all think.

On the other hand I found the original oil bath breather behind the back seat.

Removed about 20 gallons of peacons, believe the squirrels used it as a storage bin. On the other hand there was no rat poop or signs of rats at all.

To dark for pictures will take some tomarrow.

I can tell you that if it is working properly, 6 volt works just fine. Remember last winter down here was pretty brutal? Well that's when I started driving my '59 daily. The entire car was covered in a thick sheet of ice. I had to break it off of the door handle and thaw out the lock to get in the car but she started right up. The only time my 6 volts have failed me was because I didn't check the water level in the battery so it was my own stupid fault. My only complaint is that my headlights are too dim, however I'm sure that if I put a new harness in the car it would solve that. A lot of mine was hacked up when it was converted to US spec and just needs a totally new harness.
I say leave it stock, it's all there and original.

The rust sounds typical but not bad at all for a factory ragtop car. My car too needs pans and that pillar where the lower door hinge is needs replacing as well on the driver's side.

Gah, I wish Dothan wasn't so far away, I'd be over there checking it out! I just love me some 58/59s Cool

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: