Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-59 sun visor help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am working on my 58. I've had these visor parts kicking around for a while and want to put them together for a resto custom, so perfect originality is not an issue. From my understanding, nobody repops the correct visors anyway?

Here's my questions:
- do I have an original passenger visor on an original mirror assembly?
- I'd like to sell the busted visor to someone who needs the frame, it is kinda seized in the arm and the plastic is broken all the way down the center. If you were looking to buy this, how would you want too see it removed for restoration?
- I've searched and could find the best way to get the new visors on my shafts. I think the oval style I have are repop, so I'll drill the rivets if I have to unless there's a good way to crimp them? It looks like I have 2 different new driver side visors, to set them up as a pair the rivets will be upside down on one, and the lip of the plastic will be upside down. So, maybe drilling rivets and flipping the plastic is best?
- car was built dec 57, so using oval era parts don't bug me at all. I see the oval visors are more rectangular, will the corners interfere with the 58 body?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Roachdub: I am no expert on the mirrors, but from what your pictures show your mirror and visor look to be correct for 1958/59. I have had my mirror restored and hope to find and install the correct visors (which are NOT repopped). From looking at the visor shafts it appears there is a slight detention in the visor tube that corresponds to a groove in the shaft. My plan will be to carefully drive the shaft out of the visor tube then reinstall onto the restored assembly. I hope then to create another crimp in the tube to hold it to the shaft. As far as I know shape of the earlier visors will not match the earlier visor frame.
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

They look like the ones I pulled from my parts 58 they are now in my 62 so I would say 58 or 59 but I have been told that the 58s are a one year only
63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

They look like the ones I pulled from my parts 58 they are now in my 62 so I would say 58 or 59 but I have been told that the 58s are a one year only
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

The passenger frame itself is not too bad. It has a very minor lump right where the crack meets the aluminum. It just needs to be flattened but that's tough to do while the plastic is still riveted in. I think this one could be fixed if you were willing to remove the rivets and use fiberglass resin. The problem with that is the defects will be visible when you try to see through them. Also, I'm sure you could use the broken one as a template for a piece of Lexan. At least that's going to be pretty durable. Then once you copied the shape, spray automotive grade urethane clear coat that has been tinted to your liking. By removing the rivets and spreading the frame, maybe that will free the crimp from the shaft? For some reason, my passenger side shaft is 10 times more rusty than the other side. Also, the shaft is moving a little at the roll pin under the mirror. It might be best to sacrifice the shaft to save the visor. I could drill and tap the roll pin hole for a set screw with a better shaft.

Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

63vbug82 wrote:

That's what I want to do, did you have to change mirror or just put the visor. I was looking at the ones from WW.
63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
63vbug82 wrote:

That's what I want to do, did you have to change mirror or just put the visor. I was looking at the ones from WW.

I changed the mirror and all it was direct fit and it was easier then just doing the visor since they are riveted to the arm
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Hi, I have these visors on my 58 Aussie import. On mine though the left hand one is blue and the right hand one red - should they be like that or has one been replaced at some point? It is very annoying as I can't help but look at it!! thanks
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Here you can see my sad original visor removed from the frame after drilling the rivets.

Comparison of 58-59 on top to oval style frames

The repro plastic cracked badly from sitting in a tote in my garage for a few years. They were brand new but the plastic is brittle garbage!

All visors removed from frames by drilling rivets

Last edited by TinCanFab on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Heavy duty paperboard template

Notice I cut the squares ends off the repro frames for a more correct look

You can use acrylic plastic or Lexan available everywhere in sheets. I chose Lexan because I know it will hold up in drag racing applications and impossible to crack

Last edited by TinCanFab on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

20% tint applied to both sides

Button head stainless 6-32 screws

Visors finished, dirty dishes in sink are not. Embarassed

Last edited by TinCanFab on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

The chrome was bad on the shafts, so I sanded them and painted black. The car is getting a fresh paint job in black (og color) so it will look good with the interior I have planned.

It's not 100% correct, but it will do until someone ever makes an exact original copy. I had to do a lot to get these right. I had to drill extra holes in the frame to re index the frames on the shaft, etc

63vbug82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Looks good I might try this
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

A few things I forgot to mention-

The sheet of Lexan feels pretty flimsy, but once you cut it down and put it in a frame, it feels just as nice as the repro plastic or better

I got the plastic at Home Depot and they had sheets of Acrylic from a company called Optix that was also made with the smoke color already tinted into it. I just went with Lexan and tinted myself because I did not want to risk cracks with regular plastic. It looked pretty nice and would've saved time and money, maybe someone can try it and report back on how it holds up?

SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 58-59 sun visor help Reply with quote

Nice work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: