Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the heck? Thread removed
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: What the heck? Thread removed Reply with quote

Why the heck does harmless stuff get edited all the time on here. I made a post at 12 am 2012 wishing everyone a happy new year and it got deleted. It may not be Vanagon related but this is supposed to be a online community of sorts. Confused

Of the Forums that I am a member of this is the only one with these Dictator moderators.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relic of time past.... saving bandwith or storage or something of the likes... happy new year!!

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Off Topic Forum is where it goes. Some holidays, there are 5-10 threads per forum that get deleted with the same topic, just like the VW Lego Toy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=486730

did you ever see the one about the VW Fanbelt? Very Happy
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a judgement call of course. There are certainly topics that I would prefer not to look at (so I don't) and possibly some on the cutting room floor that I would have enjoyed.

The moderator's job is a thankless one -- 'dictator' is a bit strong but clearly they have to be arbitrary and final. After all, we are just guests here.

Happy New Year.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we already have a dedicated thread for this particular topic.

You can't tell but we removed 20+ "New Year" threads, including several from Vanagon alone.

No one wants to see the same junk all over the site when we specifically set up a dedicated topic.

Quote:
Of the Forums that I am a member of this is the only one with these Dictator moderators.

Your other Forums are either very small or very lax. On one of the Forums I belong to you would have been banned for a week for starting a topic when one already existed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heck? Reply with quote

canasync wrote:

Yup... moderators here suck. They get paid too much and have it too easy. With 1000+ posts a day to review, I wonder what they do with the extra 20 minute a day they have.

BTW... The Samba is a lot more than just the Vanagon forum. I'm surprised that you knew there was a Site forum.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved this from Vanagon to Site. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping if I ask here instead of creating a new topic it might show I come in peace Laughing . I understand that having multiple topics about the same subject matter would quickly clutter the site up and make the moderators job much tougher. I have to agree though that it seams to go overboard sometimes. I came home yesterday from a holiday outing with the wife eager to share my experience of seeing the new new beetle in person. There just happened to be a topic recently created on that very subject. It was quickly locked in favor of one that had been created about Jay Leno and his comparison of the new new beetle to another car. By definition the topic was about Jay Leno's choice in automobiles not the new new beetle, of which we need to re-name because new new beetle will give me carpal tunnel.

This isn't criticism but a matter of ignorance on my part to what drives the policy.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes things get driven off reports so we are not 100% perfect in saying "use this thread" instead.

This probably explains your situation above as it sounds like the redirect did not totally make sense. Although.... I would have to review the Jay Leno thread but I think it started out that way but has an ongoing discussion about all things New New Beetle
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the explanation.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocerall the Moderators do a thankless job. I wouldn't want to do it so I'm glad they do. Having said that tho I will say that according to a sticky announcement in Vanagons/Eurovans, I started a thread as per the instructions and it was moved into obscurity by another moderator. When I contacted the original Moderator re his instructions, he knew nothing about my post and even tho I quoted it, nothing was done to remedy the matter.

So yes when one moderator says to do something in a sticky and someone else moves it because of what they assess, well it gets confusing and I feel somewhat personal.

Other than burps, mods and administration do a pretty good job in keeping the standards of Samba high. Thanks. Here's to 2012. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad to see you changed your opinion of The Samba considering it was only a few months ago that you were dead set against everything this site and its moderators have to offer.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a change so much as an acceptance. I think Samba is the best. So much depends on my 'mood' at the time. Yes I can get down, very very down and when my depression is high my self confidence is down. I am now working on improving my 'stability' ( Laughing ) and accept that which I can't control or do anything about. I don't expect all people to like me, I'd prefer that they did but how people feel is their own choices, not mine. Samba is very important to me as a source of knowledge and to some extent social with rules. yada yada yada Smile

So I'm working on it and now with the same old same old Scooby problems behind me and new ones encountered well I'm moving forward and I hope eastward. I appreciate positive comments, they make me better so thanks for your comments Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: