Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat exchanger and exhaust removal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I feel good about how I remedied this situation. I used copper from the old exhaust gasket and formed it into a plug then pressed it in the hole and tapped it in there with a punch and hammer. My progress had been slowed as I am nursing a sore elbow. Sad
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
Making progress an hour at a time. I have the fan shroud removed and looking forward to cleaning things up. The right heat exchanger was replaced at some point so it looks clean but the left despite its grubbiness is solid. Also, three of the four old copper exhaust seals were very stubborn and took a lot of work to get out!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the "money shot". Any thoughts on the oil between between the head and jug on #4. Hoping it is from the oil cooler...I have good compression in that cylinder.

just how hard is it to take off the fan shroud? and is the engine still in the car? i gotta do my exhaust soon (punched a couple holes offroading recently....) and i gotta replace the TO bearing....so wondering what else i need to do.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the motor is still in the bus. It is not hard to remove the fan shroud but you need to remove a lot of "stuff" (various tin, fan, ground wires, exhaust, alternator). This a good time to replace your alternator boot and oil cooler seals if needed.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after dragging my feet for a while I am buckling down to get things back together. Getting the heat exchangers back on took a little doing as it was a tight fit and those suckers have a little weight to them. Then I got all the tin back on. Left to do: muffler, new foam seal, connect the battery, and fire it up. Fingers crossed for good exhaust seal....
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
Fingers crossed for good exhaust seal....

Well apparently crossing your fingers has no bearing on getting a good exhaust seal. Oh well...So off with everything and this time I am going to diligently follow the Ratwell write up. So far I can see that the pipes were not level relative to each other and I managed to shave off a sliver of head metal and pin it between the sealing surfaces.

I also realize that I am the only one following and adding to this thread...but I don't care... Very Happy
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:

I also realize that I am the only one following and adding to this thread...but I don't care... Very Happy

I'm following. Everytime someone is documenting their work, I'm trying to follow along.

M
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks brother...so tonight I also drilled the holes on the exhaust pipe "ears" to a little bit larger diameter. I used a 25/64" (9.9mm) drill bit and it took some work to get through that German steel! But with the new studs in the head it was a really snug fit and I was concerned that the H/E would bind and keep the mating surfaces from meshing good. Spent some time with the file tonight...

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bevel the edges of the mating surfaces just a bit once you have them filed flat. As you have found out a sharp edge will dig a sliver off of the heads which will in turn prevent the gaskets from sealing.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WT... I remembered your post talking about this a while back and I thought, "this won't happen to me"...WRONG! Thanks for the reminder. Very Happy
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so 2.5 hours later I think I got the exhaust "j" pipes filed nice and level relative to one another. As it turned out the file I was using was not perfectly flat (it is slightly concave on one side and slightly convex on the other) so this caused a little frustration. But I kept at it and used a straight edge to keep checking until all was good. I found that shining a flashlight from the other side while holding the straight edge helped to identify low spots. I will probably check it 50 more times before reassembly (my OCD at work).
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this for a few weeks. Have you tried the fit again?
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet but close. I had to wait for new for copper gaskets (came today) as when I shave off some of the head metal and pinned it to the copper gasket and left a dent so I wanted to get a new one. I had to drill out the holes to 25/64 to get the HE's to slide over the studs with relative ease. So I am hopeful. I will certainly share how it turns out (hopefully tomorrow).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you heat and soften the new copper rings per Ratwell's instructions otherwise the copper is rock hard which works well in a perfect world. You need the copper to be softer so it conforms to the gap as a VW engine with wear those parts aren't like new anymore.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little concerened that if it's bent enough to require enlarging the stud holes will it hang up on the edges of the ports now?

Usually if it won't slide on I jack, bend or twist the pipes until it does, not drill.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I annealed the copper rings. As for enlarging the holes...I did test fit them and they now fit nice and do not hang up on anything. Actually, it is nice to just have that tiny bit of wiggle room to orient the mating surfaces. I think what happened is the new studs, although still M8, have a more pronounced thread than the old ones (make sense?) it was just too tight and caused a misalignment and thus the shaving off of the head metal. I'm not sure bending would have worked? We'll see how it all works out soon...as always I appreciate the input.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you use Loctite 518 upon reassembly of your exhaust do you need to give it some cure time before you fire up the motor? I do recognize that it cures in the absence of oxygen...but how long does it take...

EDIT: Found my answer here: http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/518-EN.PDF
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something people forget to do when they file the heat exchangers is to file the top of the shoulder, too. There's only 2mm of crush to start with, before they bottom out.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
Something people forget to do when they file the heat exchangers is to file the top of the shoulder, too. There's only 2mm of crush to start with, before they bottom out.

I thought of this and took those measurements very carefully. I even made four little measuring "devices" out of scrap sheet metal for each port to be sure. I now have NO EXHAUST LEAKS...feels so good. I also have no oil leaks (currently) as I replaced some very smushed and brittle oil cooler seals.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:

I thought of this and took those measurements very carefully. I even made four little measuring "devices" out of scrap sheet metal for each port to be sure. I now have NO EXHAUST LEAKS...feels so good. I also have no oil leaks (currently) as I replaced some very smushed and brittle oil cooler seals.

Awesome
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: