Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc brake conversion- Overheating/sticking
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggy Disaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Disc brake conversion- Overheating/sticking Reply with quote

I installed a latest rage rear disc brake conversion kit on my buggy. When cold I have a normal pedal, and a little drag (when tire is jacked) but as a drive, within 2 miles, I can feel the brakes start to drag. The longer I drive, the hotter/ more drag they get. I ended up having to pull over due to them dragging so much. Needless to say they where smoking pretty badly.

What causes this? The brakes have been bled well, all lines look good and are only 6 months old. The buggy stops great.

Im thinking pressure isn't being released, so the more I stop, the more pressure is being built up.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: lots of questions Reply with quote

Not knowing what rotors and calipers you are using:
Is your pedal free play adjusted properly?
Are your lines old and falling apart inside? A hose collapsing inside can allow the brakes to actuate but not release the fluid when you lift your foot.
Do the calipers have parking brakes as a 'built-in' feature? Are they dragging due to this?
I'm sure someone with specific knowledge will be along shortly. Mine is general knowledge of automotive braking systems, but very little VW experience. I hope it helps. Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markhuebbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the kit use a single piston sliding caliper? I've had problems with those in the past. The sliding pins freeze up and the caliper never releases pressure on the outside pad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Disaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have a ebrake and the rod is adjusted properly.. Also I believe it is a dual piston caliper. I tried squeezing the piston back but the other piston goes out.
fugazi885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a similar problem with brakes sticking that got worse the longer I drove the car. The rod that engages the master cylinder was adjusted too tight and would allow fluid to enter the wheel cylinders (drum brakes in my case) but would not allow it to return to the reservoir when the pedal was released. Try backing off the rod to the master cylinder a bit and see if that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: