Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender bolt area about to rust off (pic)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Fender bolt area about to rust off (pic) Reply with quote

'73 Beetle. I pulled of my fenders and all the areas the bolts go into are in real good shape...except for two. One has bubbly rust under the paint (rear driver side)and then there is this one, the worst one. They can still hold a bolt but the screw area will eventually rust off. This is at the front passenger side. What is the best way to fix them? Could I weld a piece of a rear fender mount panel (left) and use the rest to patch the front right? If this works, what other parts will I need? fastening panel cut it in half and still work for the front and back? A body shop should be able to fix it, if I took the easy way out? I would appreciate the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i did mine, I just bought the entire patch panels and cut out what I needed. Traced it onto the car, cut it out, and welded new in.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordering new patch panels when available is probably the quickest, but a WTB (want to buy) ad will get you offers for solid "cut to order" sections from 'sawzall samurais' like me! Chris Morrice in Oakland, CA would probably cut/ship you what you need? This heater channel below I shipped to France.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a spot like that I'd take a piece of sheet metal (hardware store) and a nut (hardware store), drill a hole, weld the nut to the back side and trim out the right shape for a patch panel. Buying a part online, then waiting, then still cutting, fitting and then breaking off the poorly welded mail-order part's nut will only delay the repair. My two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say thats not a bad idea. Gunna be more work, but you wouldnt have to wait around for it.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just cut out a small section and weld in a new sheetmetal. drill a hole and weld in a nut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cutter8174
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rust on those sections also all im going to do is cut and shape metal weld on nut and weld it all in place. Prob last longer and work better then the replacement parts that don't normally fit well or made to last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: I was thinking Reply with quote

I was thinking I would get a couple of these, they are called "Fastening Panels", they only have them for the rear and not the entire fender configuration, but I thought I would cut out the nut with enough metal to patch each of the rotted ones on my 65:

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/wheel...11809085-c

Thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: