Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more expensive Bosch 01 030 points were the first I ever had fail prematurely. The properly lubed wear block cracked in less than two thousand miles. Caught it before it actually failed completely but that was too close. Bosch just doesn't seem to care anymore, I no long buy several of their products I used to swear by.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends in the product Line.

Their spark plug quality....of the designs that are for our cars are still excellent.

Their injectors and fuel system components still excellent.

Their power tools.....just awesome!

In fact.....I just received a new Bosch JS470E jigsaw which is far and away rated as the top saw on the market (better be because Bosch literally invented the hand held electric jigsaw).....and its still made in Switzerland. Just got out of the garage cutying 1/4 mild steel plate......and it cuts it like butter with Bosch progressor blades.

I have a Bosch angle grinder and oscillating tool that are just bulletproof, balanced and run like a top.

I think that overall....Bosch is like any other stupendously huge company. When a given product that is low margin/low cost in the first place.....is really on the volume decline but is in fact a product so linked to their very name......they produced the very first full kit breaker point ignitions to replace the automotive magnetos they mage their name on. ......they relegate it to their most cost effective low volume production lines. Read that as third world.

I am bettjng that the move from phenolic rubbing blocks is largely due to sourcing easier to find local materials. Phenolic plastic.....it its cut and ground is nasty, hard on tools and requures significant air and worker protection. If its molded...that venue requires high dollar care and maintenance. A molded nylon-esque replacement....for the limited market left.....wiuld "seem" to be a smart alternative......Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

From that point on I started using "blue streak" points from Standard ignition components. If you must use points.....use those.

Larger point pads, glass smooth a parallel, copper bracket, lubricant wick, larger pivot bushing, nylon alloy rubbing block, stiffer spring.

http://www.opelgtsource.com/store/6000/6042B.html

Ray, are these points cross-referenced with any VW/Bosch part numbers? I'd love to try them but not if they don't fit my distributor.

Thanks,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

From that point on I started using "blue streak" points from Standard ignition components. If you must use points.....use those.

Larger point pads, glass smooth a parallel, copper bracket, lubricant wick, larger pivot bushing, nylon alloy rubbing block, stiffer spring.

http://www.opelgtsource.com/store/6000/6042B.html

Ray, are these points cross-referenced with any VW/Bosch part numbers? I'd love to try them but not if they don't fit my distributor.

Thanks,
Robbie

Yes, the original part # was GB4173XP. You may have a hard time finding a, dealer anymore. I used to get them at parts plus. Last I knew, Napa was still a dealer for them.

They, come in two quality levels....both made by standard motor products....SMP.....the originals which are just SMP points are as good or better than the origijal 009 points. They have a large brass barrel self lilubricating bushing/pivot, larger electrode, stainless steel spring, heavy duty wire and special nylon allow body and rubbing block. The least I will use.

The Blue streak, version are copper frame, high temp nylon alloy, lubri ating wick pre-lubed with a Spare capsule of grease included, four frame to arm rivits. ...huge 99% tungsten electrode mirror polished and a hollow center in the fixed point so even if you start getting burning from age or a weak condensor they never get a "peak" in the center.

Worth it if you want to use points. Also..the Echlin brand points at Napa are made by SMP. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forty years ago, I could run a set of points for 60K miles, the condenser I never changed in 155K and 13 years. I was a dealer tech and would bring my Rabbit into my bay and a couple of minutes on the scope, I could see everything was kosher, so I kept on running it.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent replaced any Bosch points with new Bosch points. It appears that Bosch has changed some of the materials they use for the sake of economy. One example is the rubbing blocks. The new material seams to wear faster than the originals, and I found that they needed to be adjusted more frequently. Wells makes replacement points that drop right in and are still made to original specs as far as I can tell. Thats what I use at least...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitting and the final solution.

It gives me a bit of satisfaction to smash bad points.
But the pitting was probably caused by a bad condenser.

Aloha
tp
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Shocked My points are six years old with almost 60,000 miles on them Rolling Eyes

There still fine but ive been wondering if i should change them for an electronic system??Then no worry about points,condenser ..

The only reason i havent bought one is because i dont know how to fit it & have to buy to try. Plus its running really well.Also i think i would need a new coil leads .......

I was told ages ago that a plug gap that to wide would cause the outlet valves to burn Shocked Electronic ignition doubles the gap???Dosnt it?

Built in 1971 The engine was changed from 1600cc to a 1972 flat 1700cc engine in 1974 otherwise nothings been changed std twin vw carbs
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blue streak part # I posted fit type 3 and type 4. I think I have installed the same set in 009 and in most basic dual port engines.

The part # cross matches to Bosch 1 237 013 092 (092 tiger stripe points) and Bosch 1 237 013 044.

Unless they have changed in the last decade....and they may have....I found them to be of just OK quality. No major failure issues in the few sets I used....but they look and feel cheap.

However the rest of the ignition parts for VW....cap and rotor. ...had decidedly poor fit as compared to Bosch.....but they were much better than Borg Warner ignition parts for VW.

The other reason I went to SMP standard and blue streak points is that all of my usage was on high compression 411 and 412. I found much better ignition at highway speeds by going to a coil of the correct resistance but much higher voltage. Weak or just adequate points did not last long. Ray

EDIT: I meant to say that the Wells points I have used look and feel a bit cheap as compared to Blue-Streak.

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 21st century, men have walked on the moon, the internet has been developed, lasic surgery takes minutes, etc., etc. Buy a Pertronix and be done with it. 60k on one set of points? Liar Just sayin', seems like some kind of world's record.

I live on property with a creek flowing through part of it, there is a nice swimming hole there maybe 20 yards from the back door of my home. I could take my laundry down there and swirl it around and grind the items on a washboard and get 'em fairly clean in a couple of hours or so then hang them out to dry.

However, I have one of those new-fangled 'lectric washin' machines and a clothes dryer too!

The latter angle of attack costs a bit more than doing the laundry at the creek but I try to do things the easy way and save time where I can.

Points are archaic and antiquated, primitive, un-reliable as well as frustrating.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
This is the 21st century, men have walked on the moon, the internet has been developed, lasic surgery takes minutes, etc., etc. Buy a Pertronix and be done with it. 60k on one set of points? Liar Just sayin', seems like some kind of world's record.

I live on property with a creek flowing through part of it, there is a nice swimming hole there maybe 20 yards from the back door of my home. I could take my laundry down there and swirl it around and grind the items on a washboard and get 'em fairly clean in a couple of hours or so then hang them out to dry.

However, I have one of those new-fangled 'lectric washin' machines and a clothes dryer too!

The latter angle of attack costs a bit more than doing the laundry at the creek but I try to do things the easy way and save time where I can.

Points are archaic and antiquated, primitive, un-reliable as well as frustrating.

I have had two different sets of Pertronix fail on two completely different engines. They fail randomly, and with out warning. At that time in my VW career, it took me a long time to diagnose by the side of the road. Each time I re-installed a good set of points and left them in there. Bus always ran great after that.

There are always two sides to the coin. I will likely run electronic ignition again someday, but they are far from fail safe. Both of those sets had under 20K miles on them.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that no one has experienced any problems with Bosch points recently.
Good to know
Tcash
Mark70baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Bocch points Reply with quote

I've had three sets of Bosch points fail on my 82 over the last year or so. Each time same story. Arc, Pitt, Arc, Weld, Done. This is why I'm trying so hard to find an electronic conversion.

I've been going back and forth with Pertronix and a few internet companies. Pertronix says they don't offer and don't recommend using "ANY" of their distributors or conversion kits in "ANY" air cooled Vanagon 2.0 liter fuel injected engines. "They will not interface with the Vanagon Fuel Injection System."

Meanwhile, Fred, at the Bus Depot, tells me that the Pertronix unit will work, but it has a different advance curve, so it won't be ideal. In other words it'll bolt in, but won't operate as it's supposed too. Advance curves too different.

Timing is something that needs to be dead on and the products used to do this need to be compatible.

I know folks say the Pertronix units work, but finding anyone who has actually themselves, installed and used one with a 2.0 FI engine, has proven to be not so easy. I haven't been able to find anyone.

Guess it's time to start trying other manufactures products.

82 Vanagon with ASI Full Camper Conversion, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bocch points Reply with quote

Mark70baja wrote:

I know folks say the Pertronix units work, but finding anyone who has actually themselves, installed and used one with a 2.0 FI engine, has proven to be not so easy. I haven't been able to find anyone.

I lot of people use Pertronix on '76-79 FI'd buses. You FI system isn't all that different. If you don't feel good about trying the Pertronix then find a Hall system off of a 1.9L Vanagon and use that.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bocch points Reply with quote

Mark70baja wrote:
Arc, Pitt, Arc, Weld, Done.

Not the points, something else is failing, causing high amperage across the points.
Change the condenser and test your coil resistance.

Good Luck
Tcash
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bocch points Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Mark70baja wrote:

I lot of people use Pertronix on '76-79 FI'd buses. You FI system isn't all that different. If you don't feel good about trying the Pertronix then find a Hall system off of a 1.9L Vanagon and use that.

Dont quote me on this please...just going off of memory.....but dont many of the Vanagons use digi-jet?...meaning like early models of digifant without a knock sensor circuit?....if so...the Pertronix distributor probably will have a hard time with that because the hall effect distributor is keyed into the driver chip and the ECU has some input on advance.

However....a Pertronix module should work oK if the distributor can be moved enough to adjust around the normal timing offset created by the module bracket alone...and if the signal output is the same and can work with digijet.

But.....in that respect...I would kind of just do like Wildthings noted. I am pretty sure tha virtually any digifant distributor from almost an WC VW....could provide aa hall unit guts set to drop into your distributor.

Tcash....I have not used ANY points in a long time....so I can't tell you if the Bosch points have improved and are now safe to use....but I do know that the Blue streak points by Standard.....even when Bosch points were at their absolute best......were worlds away better materials and heavier construction with a better electrode design than the Bosch points.

Also....on closer inspection of the Wells points set that Vanapplebomb posted....look like the quality level that Wells was famous for that I used to get back in 1978 when I got my first VW...and they were superb. As good as the best that Bosch had at that time.
However the last wells set I bought back in about 1997 for a friend of mines 914....did not look exactly like those. It had cheaper plastics and electrode spot welding and looked more like the Borg Warner parts that most large FLAPS were carrying at the time.

If thats what they look like again these days...excellent!

EDIT: If you look at the standard motor products e-catalog...and put in most 1970's ACVW applications you get back a part # of GB4173P. This is the "standard" set of points they make which is also excellent and at least as good as Bosch best. I used a lot of these but they were not as good as the GB4173XP which are the "Blue-Streak" brand.
Ray

Here is a link to the page in thee-catalog for a set for a Porsche 911...which is still the standard set with parts # GB4073P....but it has better pictures.

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/vehicles
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:

I crisscross the country with air-cooled VW daily drivers that have to get me to my appointments without fail, and I have never had a problem or been stranded with points in the past thirty five years. How do I reconcile your observations with my experience with points?

I looked at an earlier photograph of a broken rubbing block in this thread, and I did not see any of the tell-tale grease that should have been evident in the corners of the rubbing block and arm and rivet, it looked almost dry. I use molybdenum disulfide grease on the polished breaker cam and little globs on each side of the rubbing block. I get an easy 6,000 miles between adjustments.
Colin
(p.s. a healthy condensor and correct coil is a must for longevity)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:

So then way do you have a aircooled VW when new Honda's can easily go 300,000 miles before having any major problems.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bocch points Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Mark70baja wrote:

Dont quote me on this please...just going off of memory.....but dont many of the Vanagons use digi-jet?...meaning like early models of digifant without a knock sensor circuit?....if so...the Pertronix distributor probably will have a hard time with that because the hall effect distributor is keyed into the driver chip and the ECU has some input on advance.

The 1.9L Vanagons 83-85 used Digijet which isn't all that different for the L-jet. The ignition and FI are separate units on a Digijet just like on the L-jet. The later 2.1L 86-91 Vanagons used Digifant with the ignition control built into the ECU, thus the Digifant dizzy would not function properly with an L-jet or Digijet setup.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bocch points Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Mark70baja wrote:

The 1.9L Vanagons 83-85 used Digijet which isn't all that different for the L-jet. The ignition and FI are separate units on a Digijet just like on the L-jet. The later 2.1L 86-91 Vanagons used Digifant with the ignition control built into the ECU, thus the Digifant dizzy would not function properly with an L-jet or Digijet setup.

Thanks for the memory refurb. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: