Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

Is there any difference in these two muffler styles in terms of performance, sound, functionality? The top muffler with the long tail pipe that connects to the middle of the muffler for a 69-72 bus and the later 72-74 muffler where the tail pipe comes out of the end. I will be putting one or the other on my 2.0L fuel injected type 4 motor with a 72-74 heater box conversion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, can I use class 10.9 nuts on the heater box to head studs with copper anti-seize? I have to re-seal this connection AGAIN because there are small exhaust leaks at this connection after my rebuild. I didfollow ratwell's method of filing the flanges and annealing the rings, retorque, etc. but I must have not gotten the flanges perfectly flat or something along those lines. If anyone in NJ knows a machine shop or can get these flanges perfectly flat, let me know. If not I'll get a larger file and try again. Thx.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

69-71 Bus and 72-74 Bus are different engines in North America, and completely different mufflers.
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
69-71 Bus and 72-74 Bus are different engines in North America, and completely different mufflers.

I’m aware of that but the muffler in the top picture (first one not second) compared to the second picture look very similar except for where the tailpipe exits the muffler. They both fit the 72-74 heater boxes. I’ve seen that style advertised as fitting 72-74 too
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

69-72 refers to 411/412 cars.

According to the guy who knows type 4's (ray) it's quieter, but runs hotter: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320407&highlight=tail+pipe

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
69-72 refers to 411/412 cars.

According to the guy who knows type 4's (ray) it's quieter, but runs hotter: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320407&highlight=tail+pipe

That's what I was looking for, thanks! I think I'll go with the later style 72-74 muffler. I wonder how much quieter the damper style is and if it is worth the extra heat/back pressure.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

it's never worth additional heat.

that said, id also consider:
https://www.appletreeauto.com/exhaust-system-fits-type-2-and-type-4-72-74

The 2.0 bus setup like this style exhaust more when it comes to power and running cooler. It's EMPI, so yea, it won't last forever.

Id suggest just picking up the header and getting a local exhaust shop fit a nice free flowing muffler to it for you:https://www.appletreeauto.com/quiet-header-fits-type-2-and-type-4-72-74

I got sick of them going to crap and went with a Vintage Speed setup years ago. It's rock solid, but super pricey and my temps were better with the EMPI extractor/header. They have a SS version of it, but I don't know if I could justify that. The mufflers are the shite part, just grab the header and homebrew a muffler setup for best bang Vs buck in terms of heat and performance.
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

The 2.0 bus setup like this style exhaust more when it comes to power and running cooler. It's EMPI, so yea, it won't last forever.

Id suggest just picking up the header and getting a local exhaust shop fit a nice free flowing muffler to it for you:https://www.appletreeauto.com/quiet-header-fits-type-2-and-type-4-72-74

I actually recently installed a similar setup that you mentioned to the motor. Same header with a 914 muffler attached. The resonator is there so the muffler will fit, there is no other purpose for it. It's fairly quiet, but I just want to go stock and keep it that way. I figured the 72-74 style muffler will be the quietest and best fitting option.

But if it is true the 2.0 likes this setup better, maybe I'll keep it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

Picture #1 and picture #3 are both for any type 4 engine except for US market 2.0 with late exhaust/catalyst/cross over pipe.

Yes, at BD noted..... it is correct that the mention of 1969 to 1972 on the 411 and 412 cars is where this muffler came from.

More correctly it's 1969 to 1974 for 411 and 412 for 1.7L and 1.8L.

The top picture with the center exit pipe is called a "damper" style. Its very quiet and smooth. Its a little bit more restrictive than the one in the 3rd picture/diagram with the end exit.

Whether that will make the twin carb 1.7L bus engine run warmer or the 1.8L bus engine run warmer....I don't know.

I kind of doubt it because they are tuned differently than the 411 and 412. Also, as long as you are aware of the issue, it was only an issue on the 411/412 in Hot climates. It was noticeably hotter exhaust and head temps in summer in Texas, Georgia and Oklahoma. Not tragic though as long as you are stock tuning.

The other issue with the center exit muffler...and again this may only be critical on 411 and 412.....that center exit pipe is a double walled resonator. It banks a lot of heat and radiates to anything above and close to it.

Unlike the Bay bus, the engine bay in 411 and 412 cars is fully sealed and the center exit muffler made for a lot more radiated heat into the engine bay.

The end exit muffler was slightly louder....mainly just different/deeper sound.

Both of these mufflers can work fine on 411/412 and bus 1.7 and 1.8L.

Both of these mufflers were available in both left and right side pipe exit.

Why were both largely available at the same time and through the same years? I purely speculate that its because the center exit was a more quiet muffler....so was spec'd for certain countries with noise variance regulations. I will look in my parts book and see if there are any M codes for the center exit. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The top picture with the center exit pipe is called a "damper" style. Its very quiet and smooth. Its a little bit more restrictive than the one in the 3rd picture/diagram with the end exit.

Ray

Thanks for that info. I'm curious if others have experience with the damper style on a stock 2.0L FI engine. The quieter and smoother sound is definitely attractive. Would love to hear that compared to the side mount tail pipe later style. I am aware however if the FI can't breathe at 100% that may have hinder performance slightly/increase temps by a few deg.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

Jason0115 wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

I actually recently installed a similar setup that you mentioned to the motor. Same header with a 914 muffler attached. The resonator is there so the muffler will fit, there is no other purpose for it. It's fairly quiet, but I just want to go stock and keep it that way. I figured the 72-74 style muffler will be the quietest and best fitting option.

But if it is true the 2.0 likes this setup better, maybe I'll keep it.

You want to go stock but you are running a 2.0 with the 72-74 exhaust?

and why? because a modified version of stock works better in some peoples opinions. I get it, what your considering would look better than what you have now, but what you have is kind of perfect, looks aside, for the engine.

the grass is always greener. I LIKE my vintage speed system, but I miss the sound of that ugly extractor, as well as the slightly lower head temps.

this is the one I ran with a CAT when I needed to pass CA smog:

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 72-74 Muffler Differences & Head Connection Reply with quote

The best thing about the ‘72-74 heaters is you get to run the t-bird exhaust.

When you choke down exhaust flow heat stacks up in your motor.

Get exhaust flowing with a proper header and get heat OUT!

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: