Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnosing braking noise
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing braking noise Reply with quote

Hi folks.....

I've been trying to diagnose a groaning noise in my '65 bug that I believe is coming from my right front wheel. It occurs near the end of coming to a stop and also when making a slow hard right with my foot on the brake....like pulling into a parking spot. All I've done so far is adjust the brakes and make sure the front end is well lubed. Still getting the noise.

I should mention that my car has Porsche 356 brakes.

So, today I decided to remove the hub and take a look. This is actually the first time I've removed a front hub. As a starter, I've attached two photos of the brake components before I've done any cleaning. I didn't see any obvious issues, but I'm a rookie and wanted to get your opinion before I dismiss the brakes as the culprit. If the brakes are ok, I'm wondering if there is an issue with the bearings. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing braking noise Reply with quote

Sounds like loose bearing.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing braking noise Reply with quote

I would search for a picture of the installed parts . Are the return springs in the correct positions. Then sand the shoes and drums also put a dab of grease between shoe mounting and backin
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing braking noise Reply with quote

The only time I have a groaning brake issue is when I'm too easy on the brakes for a bit. A few solid applications like you're trying to bed in a new set clears things up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: