Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

Really wanted to install non split axle boots while I am putting my transaxle back together. Saw a video on U Tube of someone stretching a non split boot over the bell end of the axle tube. Anyone done this, or does everyone take the bearing assembly off of the tube? I have been wrestling this thing for two hours and no getting much closer to getting it over. It is an Empi 9917 boot. Their site says that the bearing assembly has to come off to use them. Should I give up and install split boots? Took about tens years life off of my finger joints today.

Last edited by ZEKE65 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
It is an Empi 9917 boot

This may be your issue. i believe the bearing assembly must come off. what else have you done to your transaxle so far??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

Installing my axle tubes on a newly rebuilt transaxle I bought. Think the German ones would pull on better? Is going over the bell a viable method?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

Yes, they go over the bell that mates up to the side cover, and yes, it’s like trying to put a condom on an elephant. Put the boot in some hot water to soften the rubber before attempting the install. It’s been a little while since I did mine, but I seem to recall turning the boot inside-out. Then spray the bell with something to help the boot slide over it, like WD-40, or Fluid Film. Start the larger end of the boot over the bell, then forcefully stretch the smaller end over the bell with two large screwdrivers acting as pry bars to stretch the small end.

Did you watch this video...?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYLnLtwQWE
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

I did this a few months ago, boil the boot for quite a while, at least 10 minutes. while it is boiling, use vaseline around the edge of the. You will only have about 1 minute of enough pliability for the boot to fit over the cup.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to install non split boots instead of split boots?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to install non split boots instead of split boots?

If the trans-axle is out of the car why wouldn't you?

This eliminates one more point of failure and possible leakage. It's not like they came from the factory with split boots.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

car_cursed wrote:

Because they're a royal pain in the butt to install and only slightly less likely to leak than a properly installed split boot. Wink
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
car_cursed wrote:

Because they're a royal pain in the butt to install and only slightly less likely to leak than a properly installed split boot. Wink
This. I would never use a non-split boot. Imagine if it does fail. Are you going to take it off and install another non-split boot? It's just easier to install a split boot and be able to unbolt the thing and pull it off in the event that it does fail.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

When the non split fails juct cut it off Laughing
BecauseAirCooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:

darn!! Very Happy you beat me to it. but at least this shows that i wasnt the only one out there thinking alike
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

I did not heat the boot the last time I tried to install. I am ordering some OEM supplier boots for the next try. I have got to set my bench up to hold the tube, and I will heat them next time when they arrive. Reason ? One less leak path.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:
Yeah you can cut it off, fine. Then what? Do you choose to put a non-split back on or put a split boot on. If you put a split boot on, it defeats the purpose of even installing a non-split in the first place IMHO.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
burner208 wrote:
Yeah you can cut it off, fine. Then what? Do you choose to put a non-split back on or put a split boot on. If you put a split boot on, it defeats the purpose of even installing a non-split in the first place IMHO.

Your logic makes no sense.
When the solid boot fails you cut it off and put on a split boot. When a split boot fails you cut it off and put on a split boot.

The non split boot is what came from the factory. They will not leak until they fail which will be a long time. Especially on a car that probably doesn't get driven daily. VW made the split boot as the replacement part for when the transmission is still in the car. They also sold the solid boot as a replacement part for replacing them when the transmission was being rebuilt.

There is no question that the solid boot is far superior to the split boot. The split boot is a compromise to prevent you from having to pull the axles off to replace the boots. They work but are not as good as the solid boots so if the axle tubes are off they are the best parts to install.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

I would also add that you will want to check the edge of the pivot flange for any nicks or sharp spots that could cut the boot as you are stretching it over. If you find anything file them smooth before starting.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

Please I need some more input. The Empi boots say they are neoprene. I ordered new OEM boots from air-cooled.net to use instead of the Empi boots, but they just arrived and they just sent me Empi 1799 boots, even though their site said they were OEM. For you who have done this, did anyone of you use the Empi 00-1799-B boots? Does Orion still make the original boots?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

I recently replaced my trans and I tried to install non-split boots. That shit was brutal. I ended up thrashing that idea.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
Please I need some more input. The Empi boots say they are neoprene. I ordered new OEM boots from air-cooled.net to use instead of the Empi boots, but they just arrived and they just sent me Empi 1799 boots, even though their site said they were OEM. For you who have done this, did anyone of you use the Empi 00-1799-B boots? Does Orion still make the original boots?

The material the Empi boots are made of imo is better than the harder rubber of a genuine VW of Brazil split boot, and is what makes it possible to stretch it over the bell end of the axle tube. Contrary to what most on this site say, there ARE good products from Empi. The 00-9917-0 are the ones on my personal trans. The VW number for the solid boots is 111 598 151 if you want to continue your search for OEM ones. Even if you don’t decide on a solid boot, I would get Empi’s 00-9916-0 split boots.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:

Have you tried using 2 or 3 plastic tire spoons or anything that looks like such? Not saying that plastic tire spoons exist, just using the idea for reference.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me truely -- Non split axle boot install ? Reply with quote

Success, Thanks to all my friends on the Samba! I used two really long 3/8" extensions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: