Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A fuel question, carbs running too high?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TENNESSEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: A fuel question, carbs running too high? Reply with quote

I have a dual Solex carb. system, and it seems when I let off the throttle, the carbs. don't respond for a second. I thought it might be slack in the accel. cable, but even if I go back there and rev it manually it still does it.

The PO of my car put in a fuel pressure regulator, and I've never touched it, could this be the problem?

Here's a pic, in case that might help somebody solve the problem. There's the pressure regulator in the top left, by the decklid hinge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help is appreciated.

-Joe
ejonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take your linkage apart and check all your fittings and your throttle shafts and make they all operate absolutely free and smooth. The left carb throttle in particular because it looks a little crudded up in the picture.
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dual 35s did the same thing until I installed a couple of stronger springs for the return. The kit I bought didn't include any return springs, other than the ones on the carbs, and they were too weak. Maybe that's your issue, too.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: off idle stumble Reply with quote

Have you checked all the basics?

Dwell,Timing,Fuel pressure in order to find out about the
fuel pressure regulator.

How about Valve adjustment? when last one was done.

What do the spark plugs tell you? Lean/Rich Idea
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the return springs are a bit anemic. I don't see one coming off the center pivot - maybe there's one but I don't think so. Mine really needed extra pull to bring it down to idle quickly after letting off the gas pedal.
Beartoe_jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone did damn good documentation of Ray Valero building their motor. One of the videos talks about lubing the rollers on the weber carbs that come dry from the distributor and require lubrication prior to installing otherwise it'll create a flat spot on the roller causing the throttle to stick open. Maybe you have a simular problem on your Solex Carbs. Just a thought i'm still really new at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfexJoi1ASU&feature=player_embedded#!

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: