Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Engines Vs. VW Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

So, which is best?
Subaru Engine
42%
 42%  [ 114 ]
Type 1
38%
 38%  [ 103 ]
Type 4
19%
 19%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 271

miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emberblade wrote:
....3119cc....giant killer bug...200hp....I know these engines are highly volatile...durability...

TROLL ALERT.

Besides that, I propose this thread go no further until you tell us whether you have the required $15,000 to bring such an engine to life. Sorry, but there's just too much riff raff on this site to accept such a goal from a new poster as a real one, seen too much of that.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
emberblade wrote:
Yea, I don't want a Subaru engine really, just a curiosity, especially seeing how powerful they seem. The weight, however, makes them less interesting, especially with it all hanging off the rear end like that. I don't just do straight lines when I drive. Plus, I wanted it to be a Bug, or at least look like one, even in the engine compartment. And I suppose that in the end, it isn't REALLY a bug anymore after that kind of surgery.

I like the Type 1 for the lightweight package, but the Type 4 seems to be a better base for further modification, even if it involves experimentation instead of going with perscribed modifications to the block and components.

So it seems the Samba has spoken, and the Subaru engine should be left to the Subaru. (Especially given the level of bodywork needed to make it look even slightly stock again after you're done with the conversion).

My plan has always been to create a super powerful sleeper, so this is good stuff to think about.

You should really do some research and talk to people who have actually done the conversion before coming out with crap like that cos half of that is baloney.

Geez anyone would swear these engine were 20000kg heavier than a VW the way people on here ramble on.

Mine's less than 25kg heavier than my 1776.
I lose that sort of weight after a morning shit.
I know 2 guys with bugs and one with A bus(DC), running "suby power" I cant talk about the weight,, other then the HP gane would more then make up for any weight gane! But I do have to say, And I know you well agree with this Joel, It's not A bolt up and go conversion!! there is A ton of custom fabricating you'll need to do to make it right.... I guess you could just bungee cord the radiator to the hood Rolling Eyes
Me, I love the "look" of the type-1 motor, It is A thing of beauty,, same as the old flat head ford motors... I can just sit in ah looking at them all day Cool
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there's definitely some work in it but it's an option for people who just want a fit and forget cheap high performance engine that needs stuff all maintenance, gets excellent mileage and lasts for ages.

I've owned my current bug for over 13 years, the handling is absolutely no different through the bendy stuff with the subi engine

Certainly a conversion is not for everyone, when someone finds me a 175hp VW engine that gets 30+mpg, only needs an oil change every 10,000kms, lasts over 300,000kms untouched and only costs $500 to replace if I break it I'll gladly swap back.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am - of course - pro aircooled. but I will admit that I have recommended a Subie conversion a couple of times over the last year or so, to bus people. especially campers that are heavy, and owned by people that donīt know squat about maintenance. The alternative would have been a power stroke type 4. But they are getting so expensive to build from scatch that the Subie conversion begins to look interesting.

For daily bugs, I still recommend WBX engines, because they "fit right in". But prices on quality spare parts for these engines also have a tendency to increase. And if you chase a little hp in conjunction with a rebuild, they easily produce 130-140 hp...
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Yes there's definitely some work in it but it's an option for people who just want a fit and forget cheap high performance engine that needs stuff all maintenance, gets excellent mileage and lasts for ages.

I've owned my current bug for over 13 years, the handling is absolutely no different through the bendy stuff with the subi engine

Certainly a conversion is not for everyone, when someone finds me a 175hp VW engine that gets 30+mpg, only needs an oil change every 10,000kms, lasts over 300,000kms untouched and only costs $500 to replace if I break it I'll gladly swap back.
Woo Joel,, I wasint knoking the suby motors Very Happy you can git A lot of HP cheep!! I just wonted to point out that there is A radiator, hoses, wiring, and other stuff that needs to be delt with.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sanny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil is uncool...
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Suba what? Reply with quote

I have a VW because I want a VW. I do not want "electronics', or any high tech crap. I can fix my 71 Bay anywhere I go. I just dont see the point of defeating the simplicity! That's just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of each: a 1966 ghia convertible w/ a 2110 cc Type I engine pumping out around 120 hp and a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon w/ a turbo EJ25 putting out around 300 crank hp. Both are great! Smile

That said, however, the only VW I'd ever consider putting a Subaru engine in would be a water-cooled Vanagon. KEP went through a lot of trouble getting a CARB sticker for its EJ22 Vanagon swap, so it's smog legal for us Californians. Smile
emberblade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the engine weight difference isn't much, but the placement is farther back. You have to do some serious cutting into the body to get a Subaru to fit in the back of a bug, which takes away some weight I suppose. This is all conjecture. That's why I asked instead of jumping headlong into this.

Anyway, that's all behind me now. Personally, I'd rather have something a little less intimidating to work on than a modern car engine.

So it's a VW engine for me. If I did do some kind of big bore Type 4, I'd probably have to have the heads custom made for this application. I don't know the measurements off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up some more and call around, but that's for another day.

I agree that a Type 1 with a mild turbo would be easiest and most cost effective.

...And yea, it's gonna cost quite a bit.... I've estimated a total cost of parts to be around $18k... And that's assuming I do all labor, paint and bodywork myself. But I'd rather spend on something fun like this than something I can't work on and feel no pride in.

Plus, this thread isn't just for me, I just wanted a straight up comparison of these powerplants. It's good to understand the ups and downs each engine brings to the table.
manoa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emberblade, cool decision Cool

A moderator will be on here any minute to transfer this thread to the subi forum of theSamba. Wink

(o\ ! /o)
-----
69bajaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subi vs. Aircooled. The practical decision is obvious, really. With the Subaru you get much more power, longevity, and reliability with a waaaayyyyy lower price. But then again, if we were "practical" people, we wouldn't all drive Volkswagens from 40 years ago. Us VW people are a little bit hard-headed it seems. For instance, I could have done a Subi conversion and it would have cost half what my 1915 has cost, while giving me more power, etc. I decided to stay aircooled because I can fix the thing myself if anything goes wrong and I can say that I built it myself. Of course, with the Subi, there would be a much lower chance of something going wrong and it would be a bit less work. If some of ya'll looked in the offroad section, you might be horrified at some of the things that take place. Lots of Subi swaps, one or two Toyota swaps, etc. There are even people that cut up ovals to make bajas Shocked For me, the simplicity of a VW is possibly the most appealing part of it. But it all just depends on the person I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Koyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69bajaguy wrote:
Subi vs. Aircooled. The practical decision is obvious, really. With the Subaru you get much more power, longevity, and reliability with a waaaayyyyy lower price. But then again, if we were "practical" people, we wouldn't all drive Volkswagens from 40 years ago.

Well said !! that's exactly the reason why I run a draw through turbo, instead of an injection blow through. I am very well aware that is not a wise decision, and I was thinking about that...
But franckly I like to see my speed demon over the top of my T1 engine. There is no reason here.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want brash horsepower in simple form, EJ 2.5 with MS....

You have to do a expensive build on a VW motor to get near the standard horse power a Subie delivers....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suba what? Reply with quote

retroman wrote:
I have a VW because I want a VW...

Precisely...I've driven, been passenger in, and worked on a few Subarus - the engine is the only piece I want. WRX's, STi's, SpecB's...don't care for their cars.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
sullydog93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru is a good choice if you want big, reliable power and only oil changes for regular maintenance. Not the true ACVW experience,
it sounds way different, it drives different, it smells different.
Not to mention a variety of ways to have great heat.

The weight difference is about 70 lbs behind the axel and 100 lbs
for the pipe, radiator and coolant (na 2.5) minimal cutting in later
year bugs and ghias.

Just dropped by Outfront in Buena Park and I am a believer.
The loom and computer is $1,500, about 20 wires from the engine
to the computer. One + from the key and one ground wire from the computer. Stock engine with stock fuel injection, 190 hp +.
Do it yourself for under $4,000 - how can this not be the future for
the casual enthusiast with a need for speed?
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised this thread didn't get locked, there has been several identical threads over the last couple of years.

The main ones I've noticed that are really against conversions are the old die hard air cooled nuts that just want to stick with what they know and seem to be alergic to modern technology...
What? no pushrods? Shocked
More than one cam Shocked GTFO of here..... Laughing

Conversions are alot more common outside the US as it's still alot cheaper to build a high power VW engine there and Subarus aren't as common.
They are like the plague here which is why you can go to any junk yard and come out with a good engine for $500.

emberblade wrote:
I know the engine weight difference isn't much, but the placement is farther back. You have to do some serious cutting into the body to get a Subaru to fit in the back of a bug, which takes away some weight I suppose. This is all conjecture. That's why I asked instead of jumping headlong into this.

Anyway, that's all behind me now. Personally, I'd rather have something a little less intimidating to work on than a modern car engine.

So it's a VW engine for me. If I did do some kind of big bore Type 4, I'd probably have to have the heads custom made for this application. I don't know the measurements off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up some more and call around, but that's for another day.

They aren't a flat 16 engine....
The long block size is the same as a VW engine, infact they are half an inch narrower.
It just the timing belt covers you're thinking of and what most people do with quad cam motors is move the gearbox forward which gets it all under the body.

Twin cam engines like my EJ25 hybrid fit with no body work, the handling isn't effected which is why all the subi converted bugs round here are out on the track leaving behind the turbo AWD WRXs, skylines and Porsches.
Power to weight and low center of gravity is a winning ticket.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a subi to vw conversion kit on the portland craigslist a few days ago for around 500 bucks including the engine and brain box. just looked for it again but it's gone.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 cents here
by the time you adapt the subaru engine to your transmission. get all the fuel and iginition worked out buy a good subi engine that doesnt have 200k miles on it for reasonable you will have spent more than you would having a reputible builder build a solid high output motor.
I drive an 08 subaru work in the recycling industry and see few subarus @ 3% of what we buy we buy, most of the subarus we see are wrecked bad or have a bajillion miles on it. If your thinking affordable or practical swap not so much. now if you want the all wheel drive componenet thats a whole different conversation and straight up crazy talk. but that would be cool

Last edited by toddgsanford on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69bajaguy wrote:
Subi vs. Aircooled. The practical decision is obvious, really. With the Subaru you get much more power, longevity, and reliability with a waaaayyyyy lower price. But then again, if we were "practical" people, we wouldn't all drive Volkswagens from 40 years ago. Us VW people are a little bit hard-headed it seems. For instance, I could have done a Subi conversion and it would have cost half what my 1915 has cost, while giving me more power, etc. I decided to stay aircooled because I can fix the thing myself if anything goes wrong and I can say that I built it myself. Of course, with the Subi, there would be a much lower chance of something going wrong and it would be a bit less work. If some of ya'll looked in the offroad section, you might be horrified at some of the things that take place. Lots of Subi swaps, one or two Toyota swaps, etc. There are even people that cut up ovals to make bajas Shocked For me, the simplicity of a VW is possibly the most appealing part of it. But it all just depends on the person I guess.

I agree with you on all counts. I once read VW people described as "eccentric." It took me awhile to own up to/fully understand it, but I fully get it now. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: