Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Shop-car build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Nate,
after the driving and track time, how is the front end conversion holding up? Any tweaks or changes needed?

Your car really intrigues me!

The front-end is working great. I thoroughly inspect it and the rest of the car after every event and it's holding up perfectly. I'm slowly getting the camber/caster adjustments figured out and finding what is optimal for the track and trying to keep detailed records for the future. For me, chassis adjustments are a bit like jetting carbs; one change at a time so multiple changes don't mask other things.

About the only things I can adjust easily at the track is tire pressure, shock rebound on the front Konis and the front sway bar stiffness. I really, really need better tires to make real advances on times. My goal this year is to get my lap times under a minute.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looks like you were having a great time. 17 runs, wow, they were definitely cycling the racers thru. Cool

They have a really good system. We ran in 3 run groups of 25 or so every 45 minutes. They would pre-stage 10 at a time at the start line and allow 5 on the track at a time.

Even with 71 cars, most got to run between 15 & 25 laps. I ran so many laps and got low on fuel and stopped about 30 minutes early! Now that's a great day!!

Nate M.

Squarsche build

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Looks like you were having a great time. 17 runs, wow, they were definitely cycling the racers thru. Cool

They have a really good system. We ran in 3 run groups of 25 or so every 45 minutes. They would pre-stage 10 at a time at the start line and allow 5 on the track at a time.

Even with 71 cars, most got to run between 15 & 25 laps. I ran so many laps and got low on fuel and stopped about 30 minutes early! Now that's a great day!!

Now that sounds like a kick ass day. Cool Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:

I ran so many laps and got low on fuel and stopped about 30 minutes early! Now that's a great day!!

very cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Tires were getting pretty thin and a couple cords were beginning to show through in places, so it was time for a new set of Sumitomo HTRZ2s. While they have lasted about 1.5 years, I've gotten about 20K miles of very hard use out of them including multiple auto-x's. I've gotten my money's worth. I wish I could say that about the GY Eagle GTs I have on the Porsche 914. . . Evil or Very Mad Those started good but have gotten progressively slippery and are down-right dangerous in the wet.

These are relatively cheap tires @ around $65 each from tirerack.com. For all around street driving, they have gripped very well and performed pretty good at the track too. I'm saving for a dedicated set of track tires for the special events, but these are good every day rubber with really good stopping grip and have low noise too. At just over $330 a set, you can afford to abuse things a little. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Saturday I had another chance to test & tune the Squarsche at Evergreen Speedway and try and make this car faster and handle better. We had a very good day.

This time around I had pulled the rear seats and lost about 35-40# there (those things are seriously heavy). Then I removed the 911 banana can muffler and brackets and installed a 16" straight pipe with down dump. That cut an additional 20# out of the rear. And finally, I had the new front tires installed so I actually have tread.

All I can say is WOW!! When I lost the muffler, this one thing feels like I got an additional 10% boost in power!! I definitely will have to re-tune the VE tables for the loss of back pressure, but this thing just rips with no muffler (and it sounds meaner too)!! Wink With the lighter rear-end, the rear tires were even easier to break loose almost any time I wanted. So much fun!! I spent a lot of time gathering up the rear-end on my runs. Laughing These three things added up to my lap times dropping by a full 3 seconds!! It was crazy!!

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve to try for next time. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Saturday I had another chance to test & tune the Squarsche at Evergreen Speedway and try and make this car faster and handle better. We had a very good day.

This time around I had pulled the rear seats and lost about 35-40# there (those things are seriously heavy). Then I removed the 911 banana can muffler and brackets and installed a 16" straight pipe with down dump. That cut an additional 20# out of the rear. And finally, I had the new front tires installed so I actually have tread.

All I can say is WOW!! When I lost the muffler, this one thing feels like I got an additional 10% boost in power!! I definitely will have to re-tune the VE tables for the loss of back pressure, but this thing just rips with no muffler (and it sounds meaner too)!! Wink With the lighter rear-end, the rear tires were even easier to break loose almost any time I wanted. So much fun!! I spent a lot of time gathering up the rear-end on my runs. Laughing These three things added up to my lap times dropping by a full 3 seconds!! It was crazy!!

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve to try for next time. . .

Very cool Nate. Looks like you're having fun with it, and that what really counts. Enjoy. Twisted Evil I do wonder how much faster you'd get without the passenger? Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Yeah, ditch the passenger & let your son show you how it's done. Looks great
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

I have no doubts that my son in time, will be beating dad with regularity. Laughing

With a rear engine car, we have a pendulum effect in corners not unlike a Porsche 911. So it's always trying to kick the back-end out when the weight transfers and/or when getting back on the gas coming out of a corner. My car doesn't go for simple cones, it has an appetite for the larger barrels. This is why I have a bomb-can paint job on this car. If I didn't, I'd be afraid to drive it hard. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:

All I can say is WOW!! When I lost the muffler, this one thing feels like I got an additional 10% boost in power!! I definitely will have to re-tune the VE tables for the loss of back pressure, but this thing just rips with no muffler (and it sounds meaner too)!! Wink

So, I have to ask, Any pics of the "new"exhaust set up? Just asking, as that huge Porsche muffler didn't look like it would have been too easy to remove just for "track use". I mean a 20# drop is quite a bit, but it sounds like you opened up the breathing too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nate M. wrote:

All I can say is WOW!! When I lost the muffler, this one thing feels like I got an additional 10% boost in power!! I definitely will have to re-tune the VE tables for the loss of back pressure, but this thing just rips with no muffler (and it sounds meaner too)!! Wink

So, I have to ask, Any pics of the "new"exhaust set up? Just asking, as that huge Porsche muffler didn't look like it would have been too easy to remove just for "track use". I mean a 20# drop is quite a bit, but it sounds like you opened up the breathing too.

I designed the aluminum brackets for the banana can muffler to be easy to remove. A screw driver loosens the band clamps on the brackets and they slide off. 2 bolts hold each bracket in place on the mount bar. 2 - 13mm wrenches and I can have the left bracket off (which is really the only bracket I have to remove to get the muffler out). Then a 10mm nyloc holds the S/S V-band which holds the muffler to the collector. It just drops down and out on the left side of the car. I don't bother to remove the right bracket since it's aluminum and weighs just a few ounces. Then I V-band the 16" straight pipe on. The collector is supported by a bracket to the mount bar about 1" from the V-band, so no additional support is needed for the straight pipe. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to swap back to the muffler.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nate M. wrote:

I designed the aluminum brackets for the banana can muffler to be easy to remove. A screw driver loosens the band clamps on the brackets and they slide off. 2 bolts hold each bracket in place on the mount bar. 2 - 13mm wrenches and I can have the left bracket off (which is really the only bracket I have to remove to get the muffler out). Then a 10mm nyloc holds the S/S V-band which holds the muffler to the collector. It just drops down and out on the left side of the car. I don't bother to remove the right bracket since it's aluminum and weighs just a few ounces. Then I V-band the 16" straight pipe on. The collector is supported by a bracket to the mount bar about 1" from the V-band, so no additional support is needed for the straight pipe. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to swap back to the muffler.

Thanks Nate, those 2 pictures help explain it all. I thought the muffler set up was more complicated, but that must have been your brackets that made it look that way. Very cool that you can swap it over so quick. I guess that means you'll have to set up a "race" program, and a "street" program for your MS. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be cool if you could. Twisted Evil
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks Nate, those 2 pictures help explain it all. I thought the muffler set up was more complicated, but that must have been your brackets that made it look that way. Very cool that you can swap it over so quick. I guess that means you'll have to set up a "race" program, and a "street" program for your MS. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be cool if you could. Twisted Evil

Actually, the MS ECU that I'm using has what's called "table switching". So I'm going to be adding a dash switch and it will enable me to have a separate set of VE and timing tables for a street tune and one for race. I'm planning a dyno day with Mario Velotta from thedubshop.net to get the tables all optimized. That will make going to the track as simple as removing the muffler and flipping a switch.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Just got word from Mario Velotta from thedubshp.net that I'm scheduled for a dyno session on Friday!! WooHoo!! I finally get more than an in-car tune and I'll get the fuel and spark properly tuned. It's going on an eddy current dyno so we will be able to get it tuned under virtually any load/RPM combination and not just WOT. It's really close now but I need to get the acceleration enrichment dialed in better especially with the muffler off.

Tomorrow, I'm installing a switch and wiring that I'll need to start using what's called "table switching" What this will allow me to do is when I go to the track and pull off the muffler and install the straight pipe, I can flip that switch and the Megasquirt will switch to a completely different VE table (and possibly spark & ARF table, but I can't remember exactly), so with that loss of back pressure, the motor will be perfectly tuned for it. Then when I replace the muffler, I can switch back to a street tune that's optimized for the added back pressure of the muffler.

I'll also be adding launch control switches too to aid in getting off the line better. Even though I don't drag race, this will help getting off the start line at auto-x's. I don't know if I'll get these installed before Friday, but I won't be needing them for the dyno anyway.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Love this post. Best of luck with the dyno tuning. I worked with a guy that used to time trial his mustang, he liked the cones. His fellow racers called him Coneman the Barbarian. They used to spray Teflon on the front and rear of his car.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Just got word from Mario Velotta from thedubshp.net that I'm scheduled for a dyno session on Friday!! WooHoo!! I finally get more than an in-car tune and I'll get the fuel and spark properly tuned. It's going on an eddy current dyno so we will be able to get it tuned under virtually any load/RPM combination and not just WOT. It's really close now but I need to get the acceleration enrichment dialed in better especially with the muffler off.

Tomorrow, I'm installing a switch and wiring that I'll need to start using what's called "table switching" What this will allow me to do is when I go to the track and pull off the muffler and install the straight pipe, I can flip that switch and the Megasquirt will switch to a completely different VE table (and possibly spark & ARF table, but I can't remember exactly), so with that loss of back pressure, the motor will be perfectly tuned for it. Then when I replace the muffler, I can switch back to a street tune that's optimized for the added back pressure of the muffler.

I'll also be adding launch control switches too to aid in getting off the line better. Even though I don't drag race, this will help getting off the start line at auto-x's. I don't know if I'll get these installed before Friday, but I won't be needing them for the dyno anyway.

That's great news Nate. Let us know how it all works out.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Man your ride is insane...Hard to believe it started out as the cowback
I really hope to have the time and resources to do this some day.
SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Just a quick-update since my last post.

2 weeks ago I got with Mario. We got launch control and table switching hooked-up and they work great. We headed to the dyno shop, got strapped-on and centered. We got a couple base-line pulls and the clutch MC sh*t on me. What are the odds right?? So we called it a day called AAA and I had a 2 hour flatbed of shame ride from Kirkland to Anacortes with a logo'd car. . . When you build, drive and push cars to the limits, sh*t will happen. Laughing What can ya do.

So I removed the MC and found the plunger seal to be a bit raggedy. Rolling Eyes Yeah, no wonder it leaked suddenly. . .

This past Sunday we went to another auto-x and the weather was horrid with rain and high winds most of the day. It sucked between run groups, but driving was fantastic in the rain. It was a total drift-fest, so I spent the day hooning around and practicing my drift skills in the car. This made giving folks rides more entertaining. I laughed more yesterday than I have in a long time. By the end of the day, I was able to drift about 80% of the course!! Laughing

Yesterday, I decided that it was about time to get the Lexan windows installed. I recently got all the rubbers in so there was no excuse not to. I just installed them like a set of stock windows rather than flush mounting them with screws. I replaced the glass in the pop-outs with smoked Lexan so they can still be popped out like factory. It may not seem like much, but it saved just over 20# off the rear of the car. So far with the rear seat, muffler and the glass, I've stripped about 85-90# out of the rear.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Just a quick-update since my last post.

Yesterday, I decided that it was about time to get the Lexan windows installed. I recently got all the rubbers in so there was no excuse not to. I just installed them like a set of stock windows rather than flush mounting them with screws. I replaced the glass in the pop-outs with smoked Lexan so they can still be popped out like factory. It may not seem like much, but it saved just over 20# off the rear of the car. So far with the rear seat, muffler and the glass, I've stripped about 85-90# out of the rear.

Sorry to hear about the clutch, but shiite happens.

The pop out windows look great. Are you going to do the far rear ones too?

Looks like you had fun day at the track though. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nate, thanks for sharing pics of your outings. I like the shot! Keep at it as your square is awesome. Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 43

Jump to: