Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fed up with German fuel hose
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
SGKent wrote:
I cut open some 3 year old Conti hose I got from Scott at German supply when I replaced it on principle. We have by law 10% ethanol and the hose showed no sign of going bad. I replaced it with Gates Barricade hose but the hose Scott sold me was fine. It was German hose too.

Steve,

I remember you doing the replacement and mentioning that the fuel permeation in your garage was much more under control with the Gates than it had been previously.

----

The difficulty with a product like the Gates Barricade hose is that it must prove its longevity in hostile environments (I consider E10 and greater to be hostile) and its always tough to get vintage car freaks to buy products other than what they are used to. The Barricade stuff hasn't been around long enough for its longevity claims to be anecdotally verified by the community.

Based on what limited (very limited) knowledge I have of the subject, the Gates Barricade will keep you from burning your engine by delivering the fuel reliably to where it is *supposed* to burn. That doesn't mean that it won't shorten the lifespan of your already hot-running ACVW mill. You might avoid a burn, but you won't avoid a shortened lifespan.

My, $0.02.

M

two observations gained from this. The hose Scott sells is fine. It lasts. Yes it does allow more odor to permeate it.

Gates Barricade was tested by CARB and is the only hose with a CARB-II certification from CARB. It has been around awhile and was renamed Barricade a few years ago. I found only one instance of a bad batch making it to market which was recalled.

I would trust either Scott's hose or Barricade. The Barricade has less odor of fuel permeating it. Conti and Gates are both excellent manufacturers.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all the fuel hose threads so forgive me if this has been previously said... Where I live, ethanol in fuel is NOT common and I never use it. Still have problems with braided fuel lines going hard and cracking or mushy and leaking through the braiding. I never had this problem using "real" German hose. BUT all the braided hose I have seen lately is very likely not made in Germany. The old stuff always said "MADE IN GERMANY" on it. The stuff available now that I have seen does not actually say this. In most cases it says "MEYLE GERMANY". This can be interpreted as a brand name now, because I know this company puts their name on any old junk from anyway in the world. Most other parts I have seen from them are made in China... Have seen other hose that looked kind of like the original German stuff, but was made in Brazil. Neither of these products were any good. Has anyone actually ever seen ANY rubber product from Brazil that was ever any good? Tired of poor quality junk passed on to us VW owners.....
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some alcohol-resistant fuel hose from Brazil, since they use a lot of alcohol as fuel there, even more than the US.

I started this thread two years ago with the announcement that I was replacing the "German" fuel hose with standard NAPA hose. That fuel hose on my bus is now 2 years old and looks and feels fine. The ends are uncracked and the hose is supple and flexible.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George a couple years ago I got some NAPA 1/4" hose because that's the size of the fittings on my carbs. It held up with no cracks, leaks, or problems however it quickly got hard and stiff.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
... however it quickly got hard and stiff.

it will get softer with age Mike but there pills that will help with that if it happens Laughing
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fed up with German fuel hose Reply with quote

An extensive rap on fuel hose. Yes, I'm back.

http://volksaru-incubator.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-hose-knows.html
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fed up with German fuel hose Reply with quote

Four years have elapsed since I started this thread and the Napa hose still looks great. I'll probably replace it in another year, but it seems to have withstood the ethanol and elements fine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: