Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dubjeep's 1970 fixer-upper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Bet your new neighboors loved seeing that parade of automobile potential roll up! Wink
Congrats on the move. Big load off your mind having the move behind you, and Harvey in his new home!
I found a good sandblasting place in Coventry!

My next door neighbor apparently loves beetles, and an old lady down the street had one until last year. I am on the fence about sandblasting still but I am thinking it is the best way to get the rust out from the drip rail. As soon as I clean the garage you are on the list of people I want to have over; looking at the extreme restoration you have been doing you will be a good friend to have.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
Bet your new neighboors loved seeing that parade of automobile potential roll up! Wink
Congrats on the move. Big load off your mind having the move behind you, and Harvey in his new home!
I found a good sandblasting place in Coventry!

My next door neighbor apparently loves beetles, and an old lady down the street had one until last year. I am on the fence about sandblasting still but I am thinking it is the best way to get the rust out from the drip rail. As soon as I clean the garage you are on the list of people I want to have over; looking at the extreme restoration you have been doing you will be a good friend to have.

Good for you having beetle-savvy neighbors! The sandblasting place specializes in autos. http://www.americanpaintingandsandblasting.com/
I'm going to take some bumpers and brackets to them. So let me know when you are ready to entertain bug people, I'll come up. Right now I'm learning all about the wonderful world of color sanding.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having the best beetle day...
Started by assembling my two engine stands (to be used as a rotisserie for the chassis). That went fine except for the holes that were not drilled into the pieces.
Anyways, I rolled the rear wheels onto ramps for more clearance and jacked up the front of the chassis to get it hooked up to one of the engine stands and I noticed light coming through the passenger side floorpan in front of the battery area. It turns out that the pan has been fiberglassed over. Oh well... Guess I'll be hitting up WW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once I get the chassis actually up on the rotisserie I will assess whether I need two pans or one.
Gnarlyleech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ride man. I wish I had a garage to keep mine out of the rain. You are doing really good so far. keep it up.

My 1966 Beetle Project Thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520182
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work man.

Pulling out the old pans and welding in new ones is pretty straight forward, it's just alot of work. You can get 3M seam sealer from oreilly's (if you have one in your area) off the shelf for about $30, you will only need one tube and then still have some left over.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous Owners! Gotta luv um! Once you get that on your rotisserie, the pans will not be that bad to weld in. Might consider M&T for the pans to save on shipping.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Previous Owners! Gotta luv um! Once you get that on your rotisserie, the pans will not be that bad to weld in. Might consider M&T for the pans to save on shipping.

Just ordered the passenger side from WW. I had gift certificates so it was free. The drivers side appears to be in good shape and fiberglass free. I do like M&T though; bought my torque meister from them and picked it up instead of shipping.

The rotisserie... I'm having trouble lifting the chassis high enough to attach it, and I need to get some plate steel to attach to the frame horns and drill holes for the engine stand.

On a positive note I have finally got my garage mostly clean out so I have a bunch of space to work now. I just need to get a reciprocating saw and an air hammer from Home Depot. Now that I have a house and utilities to pay for those goodies will have to wait a couple of weeks.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the joys of being a new home moaner! Wink

peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might not need an air hammer. I just drilled out the spot welds and then used a cold chisel and a hammer to get the old pans out. One side took about 5 hours, the second side took about 3 hours.

If you don't have a sawzall, try a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, that should work too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:
You might not need an air hammer. I just drilled out the spot welds and then used a cold chisel and a hammer to get the old pans out. One side took about 5 hours, the second side took about 3 hours.

If you don't have a sawzall, try a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, that should work too.

Pete,

You're definitely right about the air hammer. In the BugMe videos they just chiseled the spot welds off by hand. The air hammer is a want. I can borrow my dad's reciprocating saw and I can pick up a long chisel at Harbor Freight. I unfortunately don't have any home improvement tools like a jigsaw because I never had a house until 2 months ago. However, even after I get the old pan out I still don't have any welding wire or welding gas... or the knowledge of how to use my welder haha.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:

Pete,

You're definitely right about the air hammer. In the BugMe videos they just chiseled the spot welds off by hand. The air hammer is a want. I can borrow my dad's reciprocating saw and I can pick up a long chisel at Harbor Freight. I unfortunately don't have any home improvement tools like a jigsaw because I never had a house until 2 months ago. However, even after I get the old pan out I still don't have any welding wire or welding gas... or the knowledge of how to use my welder haha.

I had a bear of a time to get my pans welded. I don't have a welder or the skills to do it, so I got someone else to do the welding. The first guy (as you know from my thread) made a complete mess of it, the second guy did a fantastic job of fixing up the mess the first guy did. So if you are doing it yourself, get lots of practice first. You will be welding a very thin pan, to a thick chassis, and that's difficult for a notice to do well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a holler when you're ready to start on your pans. They're not that hard to do with the body off, just need the right tools in the right sequence. If you have some big pieces of cardboard left over from moving, save them to use as templates. Before you cut out your old pans, make a pattern of the pan bolt holes relative to the tunnel, so you can weld your new pans on and have all the pan bolt holes line up with the captive nuts in the body. One thing you'll need is a 4-4 1/2 inch grinder with thin grinding wheels.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
... or the knowledge of how to use my welder haha.

I have been mig welding for nearly 25 years and I'm still learning. Best way to learn is by doing - get some scrap the same thickness as what you want to weld, use the amp and speed chart inside the cover of your mig as a starting point, and just try it and see what works and what doesn't. I've read all kinds of books, taken classes, and the most useful advice that I ever got was "when mig welding, when it starts to sound like sizzling bacon, you're doing it right." Also "when welding thin metal, keep a can of your favorite beverage handy. After you do a few tack welds, sit down, have a sip, and get lost in thought as the metal cools down. Do a few more tacks, have another sip, and repeat. Pace it out to avoid panel warpage from too much heat." Good luck!
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I can't express how happy I am that Harvey is in a real garage now. Last Wednesday, 2/12/14, the tent garage that Harvey had been in collapsed from the very heavy and wet snow. Here are some pics:

As soon as I get a sawzall, and get a Saturday off I will be cutting out the passenger side floor pan.
When the snow allows me to get to my shed I will free up some more space in my Garage so I can actually store piecses of the car that I take off/apart.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did some work on Harvey that wasn't disassembly. Beetlenut came over to check out the car and offer his expertise. I cut out the right pan half (the left side is OK). I will grind welds down on the lips, but I am still saving up to get a tank, filled with CO2/Argon to weld the new pan half in.
It feels good to be working to fix the car finally.
Of course I have pictures of the pan half out:

zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, any updates at all? I have the same exact hit in the bug I am picking up on the 21 of this month, front apron, hood etc. Looking to see how yours will turn out. :)
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volvomanc wrote:
Nice build, any updates at all? I have the same exact hit in the bug I am picking up on the 21 of this month, front apron, hood etc. Looking to see how yours will turn out. Smile

volvomanc,

I have cleaned up all of the spot welds and have started removing the tar over the tunnel. I am saving up for a tank and welding gas, and some welding wire. Do you have any pictures of your car?
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will on the 21, its sitting out in a yard under a tree. Its not a barn find but under a tree find. Its a mess but will start a build thread when I pick it up. Smile I guess I am saving it. It has taken months to get this far. I started trying to pick this up in Aug of 2013. It has no Tittle but going with the owner today to get that taken care of, and its mine. Smile I will post a link when I start it.
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my build thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7152415#7152415 I think though my front end is way smashed in than yours. lol Oh had my name changed been out of volvos for longtime.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long hiatus, I finally got back to Harvey. Lately it seems like I am more motivated to talk about Harvey than actually do any work.

There were two bolts that I had not been able to get out, until today. The right rear body mount bolt had snapped off, but with plenty of threads still sticking out. After some heating with map gas it came right out; no arguments.

The other bolt was the only half-shaft bolt that wouldn't move. It stripped out inside, and was no longer round on the outside of the head. I scraped the grease off of the cv joint and went to town with map gas and penetrating oil. It took a while, but is now out.

After that, I started fitting the passenger floor pan. The fit is not as good as I was expecting, but that is only partially due to the pan. I will need to do some more grinding with the dremel, and patch the front right of the napoleons hat. I still don't have any welding gas, so I will be using the flux core wire that came with the welder. I have had the welder for like 2 years and never used it.

I will be forcing myself to work on the car at least 5 minutes a day to maintain motivation. I do plan on finishing this car someday.

I also received my VW engine adapter for my Harbor Freight engine stand. I will have a nut welded to the hole on top of the stand. The Harbor Freight stand uses a hole and pin design, whereas the adapter uses the older, t-bolt style. I would rather have the t-bolt style anyway because when you are rotating it you can leave some drag on the shaft. Other wise you have to hold the block and try to line up the holes for the pin.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: