Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Bed Hinge is broken
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Westy Bed Hinge is broken Reply with quote

I searched all over but couldn't find anything that helped.
I can take a picture if needed but I'll see if anyone can help with just a description.
I have a Westy bed that doesn't lie flat. After taking a close look at it the problem is that the two latches that "click" when you turn the seat into a bed and vice versa are broken. There is one on each hinge and they are about 4 inches long. They have a notch in them and are supposed to set on a short stubby little round do hicky. The latches are spring loaded and the ends are broken off so when you make the seat into a bed the latches, since the ends are broken off, end up riding on the wrong side of the stubby doo hickys and prevent the bed from laying flat.
So my question is...is there a repair for this that anyone has done? Is there replacement latches? They are rivited on and would need to be drilled out and replaced with nut and bolt. Does anyone have this part and want to sell it?
I'd appreciate any help and hope the description makes sense. Thanks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just looked in the classifieds and they range from $85 to $125 a pair Shocked

And I sent a pair to the crusher two years ago Razz. I hope you find some or can repair them. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics, I repared mine with some new steel. Let's see if it is the same break?

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok When I get home this evening I'll post some pics. I have a feeling this part breaks fairly often. It's the weak link. I was suprised to not find much info on it here. If I were just a bit more handy I"m sure something could be fabricated to replace it.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but I'm digging it back up to the top. I recently got a 66 bus and it came with a westy bed that I was told is from a 1968 bus. Well, I was having the exact same problem as the original poster, the bed would not lay flat. After a little looking around, I found that the catch pieces on both sides were broke, and just like the original poster, they had slipped past the stop nub and were blocking the bed from laying all the way down. The one on the drivers side of the bed was cracked at the red line and had bent into an L shape. The one on the passenger side had broken completely off at the red line.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took the hinges off and welded up the one that was cracked, and fabbed some metal into shape so the other one is now back to how it should be as well (or as close as my fab/welding skills will allow Laughing )

Ok, so my question now is, should the bed just lay down on it's own now that these pieces are correct? I can get the bed to lay down flat now which is great, but it's not as simple as the 68 Westy owners manual says.

Here's what happens. The seat is at rest and the seat bottom and backrest are close to a 90 degree angle to each other.. I lift up the seat bottom and the backrest stops dis-engage like they should and the angle now becomes less that 90 degrees. I start to pull the seat bottom out towards me, and as the back rest starts to lay flat, the seat is back to 90 degrees and the dang backrest stop re-engage and the seat is stuck. I have to stick my hands over to each side and keep that catch piece lifted as I lay the seat flat so that it doesn't catch.

Is this correct? The manual pretty much just says lift the seat bottom up, and pull it forward and it'll lay down.

When I lift the seat bottom up to dis-engage those catch peices, should they stay in the up position until the bed lays down? They are spring loaded so they tend to not want to stay up, which is why I have to hold them. Holding them up is easy enough to do, but just not sure if I'm missing something else, since the manual doesn't say this needs to be done.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Eric

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely somebody is this forum has a 1968 with a bed and can answer this question????? Laughing

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: