Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

top end parts needed for 79 T2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
scooterjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: top end parts needed for 79 T2 Reply with quote

my 79 T2 needs a top end job. I'd like to purchase new pistons/cylinders......anyone have suggestions on where to get parts other than cip.com? I can find plenty of p/c kits for 1300, 1500 and 1600 motors but have struck out with the 2.0 engine.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusDepot for the cylinders - get mahle. http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=029198075

Len Hoffman for the heads. http://www.hamincgroup.com/main.php
Set aside $2500
Take the old ones off and measure them before you buy new ones in case the engine has been swapped in the last 30+ years. 1979 has a different exhaust mount than prior years so 1978 and earlier heads will not work. If someone has put in an older engine you need to know that before ordering parts.

When you drain the oil, if you pull the strainer nut do not tighten it past 9 ft lbs or you will destroy the case.
scooterjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! it is the original engine, i'm the second owner and i have the maintenance records for it going back to 1987 when it returned from overseas. the bus has 191,000 miles on it and the top end has never been apart, as far as I and the maint. records can tell. i had heard that about the strainer nut! I bought the bus and a 1972 beetle from the same guy for one money.....4000 dollars....and they both are in fair shape. these are my first VWs, but not the first engines i have fooled with. I view the flat-four vw motor as a go-kart times four!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooterjay wrote:
thanks! it is the original engine, i'm the second owner and i have the maintenance records for it going back to 1987 when it returned from overseas. the bus has 191,000 miles on it and the top end has never been apart, as far as I and the maint. records can tell. i had heard that about the strainer nut! I bought the bus and a 1972 beetle from the same guy for one money.....4000 dollars....and they both are in fair shape. these are my first VWs, but not the first engines i have fooled with. I view the flat-four vw motor as a go-kart times four!

It the bus has 191,000 miles on it the top end has been apart. The bottom end should be redone too. Set $5000 aside. I would not do the top end with that many high miles without doing the bottom end too.
BUSLUVR42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pistons and cylinders, be sure to check Texas Aircooled. I Picked up a set of Mahles for $300. I had to wait A bit, but it's worth it.
scooterjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do bottom end as well, certainly won't hurt and I need the practice. the last automobile engine I rebuilt was in 1982, rebuilt the old 250 straight six in my 1967 ford F-100.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
It the bus has 191,000 miles on it the top end has been apart.

Why would you say that, Steve? I know buses that are running just fine at that mileage, and have never been apart.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SGKent wrote:
It the bus has 191,000 miles on it the top end has been apart.

Why would you say that, Steve? I know buses that are running just fine at that mileage, and have never been apart.

John - the bone yards are full of old T4 cases with tossed rods from rod failures. I cringe at the thought of trusting a T4 with 200,000 miles on the rod and cam bearings.
scooterjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with the PO last night, he assured me that the motor has never been apart. All he did was change the oil every 3k, and had the cooling fan replaced because the original had cracked. hopefully I'll have the motor down this weekend and can use my dial test indicator to see how much slop I have in the rod bearings and crank bearings. The PO is a native Deutschlander, the bus was purchased from Gibbes VW here in Columbia in March 1979, shipped to Germany in 1983 and returned to the states in 1987.
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-94mm-2-0-Type-4-Pistons...27c0430d92
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I cringe at the thought of trusting a T4 with 200,000 miles on the rod and cam bearings.

I guess you won't be borrowing my bus any time soon then. Wink
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
scooterjay wrote:

It the bus has 191,000 miles on it the top end has been apart. The bottom end should be redone too. Set $5000 aside. I would not do the top end with that many high miles without doing the bottom end too.

I have to agree as high mileage kills the rod and cam bearings plus the cam are usually worn out too. Now that's not even talking about the heads!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I have to agree as high mileage kills the rod and cam bearings plus the cam are usually worn out too. Now that's not even talking about the heads!

Nope, not necessarily. The things that kill these engines prematurely could fill a forum with a thousand or so pages of posts all about the errors that render these engines junk.

The Type 4 engines have incredibly tough lower ends with the toughest damn ol heavy rods going. Clean oil and correct assembly and driving it within its happy place (2-4k rpm) and you're good until the engine TELLS you it is not feeling well. Just the bearing surface area would do a V8 Chevy proud.

You give me a good 191,000 mile lower end that has been maintained and I would happily show you another 100,000 miles . . . after I change the oil.
Colin
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

You give me a good 191,000 mile lower end that has been maintained and I would happily show you another 100,000 miles . . . after I change the oil.
Colin

sure, but WHAT KIND OF OIL?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zinc, no zinc, synthetic?

personally, I fill er up all the way with straight marvel mystery oil.

how the engine continues to work is a total mystery! Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin

zinc, no zinc, synthetic?

personally, I fill er up all the way with straight marvel mystery oil.

how the engine continues to work is a total mystery! Laughing

hog fat or bacon grease with a pre-heater works better Smile

Quote:
You give me a good 191,000 mile lower end that has been maintained and I would happily show you another 100,000 miles . .

Colin once made an engine survive an extra 6,000 miles by peening a broken rod back together. It got him all the way from the drizzle in Seattle to sunny Miami in time to see the annual pink flamingo migration. He said when he woke up from a night of drinking Bacardi and rum and opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was a pink flamingo standing on his chest staring down at him.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
[
Colin

You give me a good 191,000 mile lower end and its a good "core" to rebuild.
BTDT

Putting a new top end on a 191,000 mile engine results in a time bomb IMHO
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
[
Colin

You give me a good 191,000 mile lower end and its a good "core" to rebuild.
BTDT

Putting a new top end on a 191,000 mile engine results in a time bomb IMHO

For the record ... I would of course rebuild an entire engine if I had to so much as pull a head to redo a spark plug hole, at that mileage.

I do not see that fresh heads could a bomb make when the engine barely puts out 101 ft/lbs of torque fresh out of the factory. It is not as though compression/combustion pressures slowly become less as an engine ages, and suddenly! wow! all that new! compression just kills those rods!
We're talking 100 psi with maybe a 75-80 on your problem cylinder and it recovers to 125-135 with fresh heads and the lower end only knows that things are smoother and less demanding after the freshen ... Very Happy
ColinSays,RebuildYourEngine,TODAY
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

See, this is the demographic that makes engine rebuilders-who-care wince when their masterpiece is shipped out the door.
Colin Cool
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

See, this is the demographic that makes engine rebuilders-who-care wince when their masterpiece is shipped out the door.
Colin Cool

Cool - but that is why you are here on this planet Colin - to follow those engines around and make them purrrrrr. BTW I agree with Bleyseng. Guess we'll have to settle it over dinner sometime. How is your 2012 iten shapping up? Likeing that new bus?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

Colin Cool

they would rather deal with someone that doesn't ask or care about the blood that flows through their newly constructed heart? Rolling Eyes

sure, just take the money and run! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: