Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 Volt or 12 Volt Starter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: 6 Volt or 12 Volt Starter Reply with quote

I am replacing my 6 Volt 1600 engine in my Dune Buggy. The new engine is 12 Volt and I have verified the 12 Volt flywheel teeth count. I obtained a supposed 12 Volt starter to use with the new engine. My problem is I'm not sure how to tell if the starter is truly 12 Volt. The tag is scraped off and it looks the same to me as my 6 Volt starter. I don't want to put it in and have a problem. Is there a way to tell the difference? Thanks.
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do have a 6 volt starter it will work in a 12 volt system and will also match up to the 12 volt flywheel. It will turn faster than the 12 volt so if you do have a 6 volt starter, don't worry it will work.

I used a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt car for over 6 years as a daily driver with absolutely no problems!
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solenoid should be marked 6 or 12 volt and the 6 volt shaft is bigger than the 12 volt
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto........a 6 volt starter will work just fine in a 12 volt system and will spin super fast. One thing is depending which it is 6v or 12v. and what you currently have in your car is the bronze starter bushing in the transaxles are different sizes for 6 and 12v so you may have to change it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks for your help. The solenoid wasn't marked but if the gear teeth mesh the same 6 or 12 volt I should be good with just changing the bushing.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevada Notch wrote:
If you do have a 6 volt starter it will work in a 12 volt system and will also match up to the 12 volt flywheel. It will turn faster than the 12 volt so if you do have a 6 volt starter, don't worry it will work.

I used a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt car for over 6 years as a daily driver with absolutely no problems!

WRONG!

The 6 volt starter will NOT work with a 12 volt flywheel!
And a 12 volt starter will NOT work with a 6 volt flywheel!

You can run a 6 volt starter on 12 volts without any problems, but you HAVE to change to the 6 volt flywheel.

If you are going with an engine that puts out more then 40 horsepower, you can get a 6 volt flywheel that accepts the larger 200mm clutch. That is recommended as the 180mm clutch can;t handle the extra power of the newer, bigger engines.

IF you run a 12 volt starter in a 6 volt transmission, you will also need to install the adapter bushing for the starter. (or run a 12 volt autostick starter that is self supporting)

Likewise, if you want to run a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt transmission, you also need the adapter bushing for that.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Nevada Notch wrote:

WRONG!

You can run a 6 volt starter on 12 volts without any problems, but you HAVE to change to the 6 volt flywheel.

If you are going with an engine that puts out more then 40 horsepower, you can get a 6 volt flywheel that accepts the larger 200mm clutch. That is recommended as the 180mm clutch can;t handle the extra power of the newer, bigger engines.

IF you run a 12 volt starter in a 6 volt transmission, you will also need to install the adapter bushing for the starter. (or run a 12 volt autostick starter that is self supporting)

Likewise, if you want to run a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt transmission, you also need the adapter bushing for that.

Won't running 12 volts through the 6v starter shorten the life of the starter?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shane red wrote:

Won't running 12 volts through the 6v starter shorten the life of the starter?

Not really. It may a little bit, but not enough to worry about.

I have run 6 volt starters on 12 volts for years and never had any issue.

Some folks don't like the solenoid coming out so fast and hard, but I never found that a problem either. If you don;t like that, you can always install the 12 volt solenoid on the 6 volt starter.

But the 6 volt starters will run without problems for many years.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 180mm flywheel has a 12v ring gear installed. 12v on a 6v starter WILL destroy the ring gear and the starter pinion. A 12v solenoid on the 6v starter will help.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Volt or 12 Volt Starter Reply with quote

bbuggy wrote:
I obtained a supposed 12 Volt starter to use with the new engine. My problem is I'm not sure how to tell if the starter is truly 12 Volt. The tag is scraped off and it looks the same to me as my 6 Volt starter. I don't want to put it in and have a problem. Is there a way to tell the difference? Thanks.

Compare the armature support shafts, where it fits into the bellhousing, between the two starters. 6V and 12V are different sizes.
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Nevada Notch wrote:

WRONG!

Pardon Me! I stand Corrected! Very Happy

I will have to pay more attention to what I am writing and not believe some of the crap you read on the internet. Mad
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: