Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Zealand T34 Ghia project
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: New Zealand T34 Ghia project Reply with quote

My T34 interest started some 15 odd years ago when a couple of friends and I visited the US and met up with Lee Hedges, while we were there we went to visit one of Lee's friends so I was offered to drive Lee's Ghia while he took his double cab bus.
At the time I thought.....but you don't know me from a bar of soap, are you serious? Well, no need to ask twice so off we went cruising the streets of San Diego

I'd never driven a Type 3 before and being used to cramped Beetles I was impressed with its interior room and the way it drove but what really took me was the lines of the body and the thin pillars which makes the vast expanse of glass look even better.
But sadly that's as close as I got to owning one till a few years ago when I suddenly felt the need to own a T34 after restoring / building quite a few cars both water and air cooled.
Started looking on the Samba and found a 69 automatic which seemed ok for the money and after a few phone calls the deal was made, the next day I went to make a deposit as agreed and checked my email for the sellers contact details and he'd actually emailed me to say he'd already taken a deposit............even though we'd already agreed on a deal!
Not terribly impressed with his lack of ethics but obviously nothing I could do so I went looking again finding this 63 a few weeks later.

The seller didn't have much info on the car other than that he'd known about it sitting in a garage and kept in touch with the owner so when it was time to sell he grabbed it cleaned it up and put it up for sale.
Bit of a shaky beginning to our dealings but the seller turned out to be a top guy, sent detailed pictures of area's I'd asked about and kept his word so a purchase was made.
I had the car transported from northern San Francisco to LA to be shipped to NZ by a company I'd used before.
Couple of months later she arrived on our shores only to sit out on the wharf in torrential rain for over a week Just as well there were big rust holes in the floor for the water to drain out of!

First impressions were pretty good, the seller had described the car very well and was everything he said it was.
It looks like its only had one blow over in its life, car is 98% complete and still a driver.
Sure there's all the rust issues that they all suffer from but no nose damage and a pretty straight body so I was happy!
Since I was busy with another project I put the Ghia in storage till I was ready to begin.
Hard to believe 2 years have passed but over those years I collected some parts like a set of Gerson's floors, all the seals that Simon makes and a bunch of other parts I got on a trip to the US last year.
With the completion of the other project, 2012 was to be the Ghia's year so yesterday we got her out of her corner where she sat waiting and rolled into the workshop.
Going to begin work on it this Saturday but in the meantime here's a couple of pictures of where she lived up to yesterday.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by racoguy on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was a one cool story you narrated there, buddy. For sure, everyone here at the Samba shall be looking forward to see the update of the restoration of your T34. If you have any knowledge, how many Type 34's are there in New Zealand? Do you have a list on that?

Keep us posted, buddy..

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing this project. Cool As a T-34 owner, I'm still trying to learn more about them. In my signature, is what I've already done to mine, and it might help you with some of yours. Good luck, and post pics of it as you go. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my first Type 34, also white and a '63. Mine was a lot rougher though. Looks like a great starting point for a restoration. Looking forward to following your progress.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today was interesting, never taken apart a T34 before.
Had to do things a bit different to what I normally do, I'm used to just tearing apart a Bug convertible and throwing most of the parts in the trash as they'll all be replaced with new anyway but in this case I know a lot of this stuff is not available so I really took my time taking it apart and saving everything no matter how worn out it is.

Few frozen bolts on the doors but the oxy acetylene sorted those out and one wouldn't budge so I just drilled the head off.
Plenty of rust in the C pillars..............as well as in other places but hey the car is 50 years old now and not exactly known for being rust free!
Repairing the rust will be the biggest part of this project and I'm sure I'll need to re make a lot of panels to get her in shape again.

Took off all the side glass and trim first being carefull not to wreck anything followed by cutting the screens out, was surprised to find the front screen laminated.........thought for some reason it would have been toughened.
All that aluminum trim is soo delicate, must put that in a safe place.
Stripped the dash, front of the car and also all the lights out.
Car has only had one paint job in its life so that's pretty good and the wiring is also in good shape with no one really butchering it over the years.
The nose on this car is in great shape, never hit and only minor rust around the wheel tray so I'm stoked with that.

Will work on getting the body unbolted next, I'm undecided what I'll start repairing first, body or pan.................hmmm both need an awfull lot of work

averr789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project. Can you post some close up of the rusty areas? The car really looks solid!
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

averr789 wrote:
Cool project. Can you post some close up of the rusty areas? The car really looks solid!

I'll try to do that next week, yeap looks solid but it aint.........well maybe this is considered solid for a T34? Razz
So far I can see I'll replace most of the C pillar, both rockers, both panels behind front wheels, both panels in front of and behind rear wheel plus LOTS of general rust repairs...........oh and then there's both floors too.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rust sounds like standard equipment rust to me. I had to do most of those same spots on my 64. Rolling Eyes Look forward to seeing more pics of it's disassembly. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoguy-welcome and congradulations on the T34 ownership! Wow that was a long time ago if Lee had his double cab still when you met up with him Shocked I lived down the way from him back then. We may have even had a beer at his house.

Nice start your off to there. let me know if theres anything yopu need.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:

I wonder what car that gas tank is from? It's not Type 34.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Beetle. I don't know the year though.

Nice looking car, it sure doesn't look like it needs much rust work.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Definitely not a type 3 fuel tank.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
racoguy-welcome and congradulations on the T34 ownership! Wow that was a long time ago if Lee had his double cab still when you met up with him Shocked I lived down the way from him back then. We may have even had a beer at his house.

Hey you know what, I bet it was you that we came and saw as one of my buddies was into early Notches and I remember some RHD dashes being discussed Laughing
Ha, small world................always kinda wondered if you were the same guy seeing your name on the forum but the place didn't match!

So far only one of the headlight rings has a huge ding in it, not sure if I can get it round again.
Been thinking about a sunroof but finding one will be the problem, will a T3 one work? or should I just leave that alone..............?

Last edited by racoguy on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EverettB wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Definitely not a type 3 fuel tank.

Yep its a Beetle tank which will be in the trash by next week, already found the correct LHD T3 tank for it which was a bit of a fluke (we are RHD here)
Guy in our club converted his early T3 wagon to RHD and found the tank didn't have a hump for the steering shaft so I said.................I'll have that thanks! Laughing
1600LVariant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this T34 on the NZ VW forum and feeling very envious.
Will take a keen interest in it's rebuild.

The lines on the 'razor' are something else aren't they?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Hey you know what, I bet it was you that we came and saw as one of my buddies was into early Notches and I remember some RHD dashes being discussed Laughing
Ha, small world................always kinda wondered if you were the same guy seeing your name on the forum but the place didn't match!

So far only one of the headlight rings has a huge ding in it, not sure if I can get it round again.
Been thinking about a sunroof but finding one will be the problem, will a T3 one work? or should I just leave that alone..............?

He was always good to get other T3 nuts around especialy when he had outa town'ers Wink Cheers then, good to meet you again!

You do still have contact with Lee? I bet he knws where your headlight ring is.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how small this world is ... and getting friends together from around the world is one of my favorite activities. I've met so many great friends from so many places!

His 1963 is running the Euro-bulb type headlights (not sealed-beam) so those headlight parts are much more difficult to find. I have spare sealed-beam chrome rings but not the Euro ones. Carsten Klein (Germany) or Jurgen Magdelyns (Belgium) would be his best chances at replacing the chrome outer ring if the original isn't repairable. It's gonna cost you though ...

racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning was time to brace the body before separating it from the chassis, I made some plates that bolt to the door pillars and striker plate areas and then welded in bracing which I cut from scrap tubing we had lying around the shop.

The bracing is more of a precaution as I'll be putting it in a rotisserie for all the rust repairs so I don't want anything weird to happen to the door gaps when big sections of the sills and pillars are cut away.
With the body hanging in a rotisserie from its bumper mounts all the stress would go into the roof and pillars, seeing as the rear pillars are pretty shot the bracing will stop any movement there.
Anyway rather than groveling on the ground I just lifted the front in the air to be able to work underneath unbolting the body from the floor, quite handy that overhead crane!
That, combined with a rattle gun to get all the rusted bolts out made short work of it, no broken bolts but lots of rust........

Body unbolted and all other stuff disconnected it still wouldn't budge so had another good look and found 4 remaining bolts still attached Rolling Eyes
With those out it was a simple case of up up and away! Sweeeet!

Haha I always joke with people how easy it is to pull cars apart........
With the chassis rolled out from underneath I could start pulling that apart, pretty much removed everything off the chassis and pulled the motor out and front end off also.
Its nearly at its bare bones with only the rear subframe and gearbox left to come out after which I'll store everything away and start constructing a rotisserie out of a couple of engine stands.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you sure arnt messing about!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Wow, you sure arnt messing about!

That's what I was thinking. He'll probably have his done before mine is. Shocked
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 56

Jump to: