Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

My big, square carpet in the middle of the van is pretty stained and faded. I don't want to do the laminate floor idea; sticking with carpet. I'd love to find something with similar OEM attributes:
- rubber backed so it's fairly water resistant
- thin, yet heavy & flexible so it stays put
- removable for easy cleaning

Anybody have a good after market solution?
Anybody have one of these and how do they stack up against the OEM carpet:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4488&category_id=&category_parent_id=

thanks!
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a large square rubber backed black floor mat at wally world. it's almost a perfect fit in my 1978 westy. all the mud and crap and dirt washes off easily and it drys quickly. i picked up a smaller one that i store under the larger one that i pull out and put outside the bus when camping. i don't know about the vanagon westy, but the late bay westy i have requires removing all the cabinets to take the carpet out. the mat was quick and easy and functional and looks nice.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carpet GW sells is made by Sewfine. I've purchased carpets from them and they are OEM quality. You can also buy direct if you want. Call and they are very friendly people.

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I bought a kit from them.. had them add in 1/4 felt into the primary cargo area, and rear mat.

Sadly, I opted to find a rubber floor mat for the front section (OEM supply in some earlier models) and I sold the whole kit.

I'd decided carpet.. just wont do, I am goin to get it really, really dirty.

So, wood ply base in the cargo area, and Tarkett fiberfloor, something in the ambiente line, http://www.tarkettna.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&sku=5636025

it will keep the vacuum need to a min..
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two or three carpet options.

1. Leave the old and put a pre-made store bought (Walmart?) on top of the old.

2. Get a custom made "mat" to lay on top.

3. What I did was to get some similar carpet to replace the damaged piece and had binding added at a trim shop to finish it off. Looks like it belongs.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the GW Berber carpet for our weekender 2 years ago. Quality and fit are excellent. Still in nice shape.

We also have an interlocking anti-fatigue mat underneath (Home Depot) and it makes the carpet very nice to kneel on when reaching in for stuff, adds quiet and insulation. We are a little careful with mud and snow, sometimes use an entry mat when it is nasty.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just clean the carpet as good as it will get and then get one of the rubber mats that Bus Depot sells. I find that the fit is damn near perfect and they clean up real well. Check out the Bus Depot site...maybe Go-Westy has em too.
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going to a couple of carpet stores and ask if they have any remnants of commercial grade carpet. Takes a lot of wear and tear. Usually you can get a good price on remnants.
I had gotten some to replace what was in my passenger area, wasn't exact, but was able to get color to blend in nicely with the rest of the interior.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the brown rubber floor mat from vancafe.just take it out and wash it when it gets dirty.it's great quality and comfotable without shoes. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1667_355/center_section_rubber_floor_mat.html
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcook52459 wrote:
i got the brown rubber floor mat from vancafe.just take it out and wash it when it gets dirty.it's great quality and comfotable without shoes. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1667_355/center_section_rubber_floor_mat.html

Yep, thats the one I was refering to.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Why not just clean the carpet as good as it will get and then get one of the rubber mats that Bus Depot sells. I find that the fit is damn near perfect and they clean up real well. Check out the Bus Depot site...maybe Go-Westy has em too.

I was thinking about cleaning it up and tossing a remnant down on top as somebody above suggested.

What are you suggesting/what have you done? You cleaned your carpet and then tossed the mat down on top? Why bother with the factory carpeting at all then?
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuf wrote:
Try going to a couple of carpet stores and ask if they have any remnants of commercial grade carpet. Takes a lot of wear and tear. Usually you can get a good price on remnants.
I had gotten some to replace what was in my passenger area, wasn't exact, but was able to get color to blend in nicely with the rest of the interior.

Carpet without a backing is like sandpaper. If you put it down on the rubber floor it will destroy the finish. Beware.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a carpet cleaner doing a house cleaning job nearby where I live and I paid em a few bucks to clean my cargo area carpet. Even though it came out way clean, I got one of those rubber mats a few months later. Its been a few years since I got the mat but it fits the space just like a glove....its a quality product....and the tan color kinda matches the brown interior of Madam Helga my 82 Westy. Very Happy
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years we used a thin indoor/outdoor carpet in that area -- carefully cut a thin carpet will tuck under the rear seat panel and can be secured under the metal trim along the slider. We added some thin wood moulding along the cabinets and front edge to fully secure it.

Now we have vinyl flooring secured in a similar fashion -- so much more practical as much of our camping is desert and beach and the vinyl sweeps clean in seconds.

In both cases store remnants were used -- really really cheap for the small piece you need.
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
snuf wrote:

Carpet without a backing is like sandpaper. If you put it down on the rubber floor it will destroy the finish. Beware.

Replacemet carpet has been in for several years. Had to pull it up recently to mount propane tank. Everything under carpet looked like it was when I installed it.
If the piece is just thrown down not secured and slides around everytime one gets in and out, then, yes it could Possibly abrade the rubber floor.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put laminate in the main salon and it is so much easier than carpet to keep clean.

I removed the OEM (it looked awful and had years of rodent urine in it)front and centre and rear brown carpet, pressure washed it A LOT and it eventually dried and looked fresh and almost like new. Just a few weeks ago I removed it and hosed it down with hot water and let it air dry and like new again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilton Wool
pigryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to stay carpet too but thought more about the way we were going to use stinky. I figured with the dog, lots of camping and outdoor activities a laminate floor would be the least maintenance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Cabriolet diesel
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I put laminate in the main salon

The main salon, I love it. Is the driver/passenger area the 'foyer'?
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ride with the passenger seat facing aft and when I roost I put a leopard throw on it to match the back and curtains. That's my easy chair, so not the foyer for sure Laughing

I have blonde laminate but I'd prefer dark but with the blue inside and dark curtains, etc... blonde is probably better, Just use a damp cloth and it washed and vaccumed in a lick and a spit!!! Wink The blue laminate came off the fridge so we "blonded" that too. Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: