Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drill and tap rear bearing carrier for grease zerk?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Drill and tap rear bearing carrier for grease zerk? Reply with quote

Has anybody done this for the rear trailing arms? It seams like a neater way to keep some grease in the bearing carrier. The carrier is completely exposed on the back side of the stock trailing arms, and it wold be super easy to drill a hole in the middle and tap it for a grease fitting, so I was wondering if I could stick one of those guys in there to make things a little easier.

The reason I can think of that might keep this from working is the seals.

Input please???

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grease which is heavy enough to lubricate axles is too heavy for a grease gun. axle grease has to lubricate axles runnung at road speeds next to brakes.

grease gun grease is for suspensions.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
grease which is heavy enough to lubricate axles is too heavy for a grease gun. axle grease has to lubricate axles runnung at road speeds next to brakes.

Not really.....

General purpose wheel bearing grease and chassis grease are pretty much the same consistency and go through grease gun just fine....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Life is good.....

Only negative is to much grease/pressure will blow out your seals....And it does not make up for poorly done initial packing of bearings.... If bearings are packed correctly in first place there is no need for grease gun....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Mal evolent wrote:

Not really.....

General purpose wheel bearing grease and chassis grease are pretty much the same consistency and go through grease gun just fine....

Life is good.....

Only negative is to much grease/pressure will blow out your seals....And it does not make up for poorly done initial packing of bearings.... If bearings are packed correctly in first place there is no need for grease gun....

Dale

I have taken apart 40+ year old trailing arms from cars that were completely worn out otherwise and the bearings did not need greasing. So I would say your wasting your time.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, just thought I would check and see if my crazy idea was worth a shot. Apparently not, Hahaha.

Thanks guys!

tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
I have taken apart 40+ year old trailing arms from cars that were completely worn out otherwise and the bearings did not need greasing. So I would say your wasting your time.

Does submersion of rear bearings carry any weight, or does a well packed set of bearings seal out moisture evn in that situation in your experience?
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced many rear wheel bearings in street driven Bugs, that failed because of lack of lubrication. I would say if you have it apart, go for it!
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
I have replaced many rear wheel bearings in street driven Bugs, that failed because of lack of lubrication. I would say if you have it apart, go for it!

That is because someone was in there before you and didn't know how to pack a wheel bearing... From factory VW packed housing completely full of grease... No space for moisture, no space for air....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonaldson wrote:
SamT wrote:

Does submersion of rear bearings carry any weight, or does a well packed set of bearings seal out moisture evn in that situation in your experience?

We used to run buggys in the river, some times the rear bearings would sit under water for maybe 15 minutes and I never had any issues. Of course if water gets in pumpin more grease in isn't gonna help much.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
tdonaldson wrote:
SamT wrote:

We used to run buggys in the river, some times the rear bearings would sit under water for maybe 15 minutes and I never had any issues. Of course if water gets in pumpin more grease in isn't gonna help much.

For my boat trailer i pump the bearings with grease after i pull the boat out of the water.Reason is that the fresh grease pushes the water out.Havent had a wheel bearing failure on a boat trailer in 20 years.

On the other hand many think that adding fresh grease before a trip does fine but wonder why their bearings dont last then the other group who think the grease last forever then wonder why their wheel falls off in the middle of the desert
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dale on this one. Seems pumping grease in would want to deform the seal ( in the wrong direction)as it pushes the excess out
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know one way or the other but if I found the necessity to insert a fitting it would be on the bottom and I would have a much smaller escape hole on top and pump slowly. When finished plug escape hole. No seal damage and water would be pushed out. Not sure, I could be all wet myself. Laughing
Marvin
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added zerks to the rear bearings on every bug I've had and never had any issues, my rail has them on both sides and the baja I just started will have them also. They may not do any good, but apparently don't do any harm, because I've never had a rear bearing failure....
mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was thinking of doing this to my burro. I was thinking of packing bearings by hand & assembling without seals and pumping in grease to completely fill the housing. By hand I can't get it full, only about 1/2 way. My car will see some creek time so I want to keep water out. On my boat trailer I have bearing buddies that are spring loaded to keep grease under pressure. It leaks by the inner seal and is messy but it sure keeps the water out. I've replaced the bearings and seals on the trailer & the seal looked like any other wheel seal I've delt with. Even if you pumped in too much grease it wouldn't heart the seals, would it? Just messy?
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind a couple of zerks for my elbows.
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done many on bugs and off road cars- i think it works great!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it's a whole lot better to hand pack bearings when they're disassembled. Just pushing old grease out by way pushing new grease in is really only ideal for an open joint like a pivot point on a tractor where the old can be evacuated rather easily and wiped away and it's done quite frequently. Something like a wheel bearing with seals is different because as long as your seals are good in the first place the grease inside should have quite a longer service life on it's own since water and dirt should not be getting in there at all. If you push grease with a grease gun through you're not really getting all the old dirty grease out so just like changing automatic tranny fluid w/o emptying the torque convertor, you're only doing half the job. Which kinda makes it half-assy IMO. Not to mention any arguable damage done to the seals and the fact that grease pushed through a seal has now opened a hole for contaminates to get in that wouldn't have been in the first place. There's gonna be a mess too which has the opportunity to foul your brakes as well. So by zerking a wheel bearing you may be 'feeling' like your being proactive and going the extra mile to keep clean grease in her but in all reality your shooting your self in the foot. If you're driving in tough conditions and think your grease is getting fouled with water, no amount of zerking is going to remove all the moisture out of the cavity like repacking will. A more frequent schedule seems appropriate.
I find that I'm in my wheels often enough that the grease I put in there will be replaced long before it's useful life is up anyway. That being said, I have put zerks on the centers of my front bearing caps because this situation seems more appropriate to push grease from one end out the other kinda like a trailer bearing is set up. In actuality, it just makes it more convenient to top up the grease after I finish rebuilding the hub. A wheel center cap is then a good idea to cover the zert that is now hanging out there where it can get swiped off.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah OC...I can see running the forest trails and splashing through creeks and big rain puddles with hub caps on your buggy. Do you prefer the ones with the spinners? Shocked

Rolling Eyes

Funnin ya... kinda.

I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease in my offroad vehicles. For one thing, the water resistance is way better than with lithium or moly base greases. Also, the heat tolerance is better than any but very exotic greases. (measured as "drop point")

I've had rear axle bearing failure in rear wheel drive cars and pickups where the bearing is not a normal service item and is lubed with gear oil. I've had rear axle bearings in VW based offroad and on road vehicles which needed to be and got replaced. But I've never had a rear axle bearing FAILURE in a VW-based vehicle. Neither swing axle nor IRS.

I've encountered cars with zerks in the rear hub carriers. And lots of grease all over the insides of the rear wheels. Probably due to miss-use of the zerks and lack of normal maintenance.

A customer once bought a 2-1600 race buggy used and brought it for me to prep it for Baja. The car came to me freshly cleaned, but in need of prep. It had zerks on both rear hubs and on both front drums. When I took the car apart for inspection, the front and rear hubs had multiple types of grease, which had caused some of the grease to harden in the hubs. The bearings were fine, but may not have made it to La Paz if they had not been cleaned and re-packed. One front zerk failed during the 1st test and needed to be replaced. I had hand-packed the bearings and had not used the zerks, but the one that failed lost the check ball during the short test and spewed grease all over the Centerline and the side of the tire.

My buggy trailer (built new in 1978 by the same guys who built my Hi Jumper frame) came from the factory with bearing buddies on the hubs. Same bearing buddies and same bearings now. They get used regularly. I've never had a grease leakage issue with them. Gone through a LOT of tires on that trailer though.

Probably the most telling answer I can give to this question would be a two-parter:

1 - I HATE packing bearings (and CVs) Twisted Evil

2 - None of my cars have zerks in the hubs.[/b]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that this surfaced after a couple years. Funnier still is I am still kicking around the idea. Laughing

Seriously though, not so much to pack bearings, cause I don't mind that so much, but to make filling the bearing carier with grease easier. A lot of people don't pack extra grease in the housing, but I like to. It would make doing so much cleaner.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way any bearing can be properly greased other than taking them out, cleaning them and "hand pack"....

I have to agree with previous comment that I hate hand packing, but I seldom if ever have hand packed bearing fail by other then total misuse and did I mention I hate hand packing also....

My car carrier has grease zerks on spindles and I have been guilty of putting a shot of grease in once in a while but I also clean and hand repack bearing when ever I have hubs off to check the electric brakes...

And did it ever occur to you that the most trailers you see beside the road with one wheel off with wife standing guard and no husbands or tow vehicle in sight is a boat trailer?

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: