Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro lust is so strong. And I am so weak.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurt vonnagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the syncro decal and the 4wd decal came after 86. 86 did not come with. My 86 has none just badge in back.

Last edited by kurt vonnagon on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of you asked for the window sticker. Here you go!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Vans With At Least One Wheel In the Air
www.facebook.com/driveslowtakechances
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear locker - $275!!! Why didn't Volkswagen just make it standard? This is coming from a guy that doesn't have a rear locker in his Syncro. Evil or Very Mad

That's a really nice van you got there, steewoz. Any plans for a pop top conversion? Hope you get plenty of chances to send power to the front diff.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steewoz wrote:

I'm avoiding eye contact with my bank account for the foreseeable future.

Lol. No doubt about that. Now set up your Syncro slush fund. My wife and I have an account just for van parts and upgrades. $300/mo keeps up with repairs, tires and upgrades quite nicely.

Nice Syncro and tasteful and useful set of upgrades. Enjoy it!
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
Rear locker - $275!!! Why didn't Volkswagen just make it standard? This is coming from a guy that doesn't have a rear locker in his Syncro. Evil or Very Mad

That's a really nice van you got there, steewoz. Any plans for a pop top conversion? Hope you get plenty of chances to send power to the front diff.
He spent 2 days at northwesty. He is doomed Embarassed
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's brother? I saw this one listed the other day and was going to show him to pass it on. Looked like a pretty good deal! Glad you found one, I am still waiting on shipping for mine...
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I went to the shop and looked at that beauty up on the rack...

soo jealous....congrats
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Tim's brother? I saw this one listed the other day and was going to show him to pass it on. Looked like a pretty good deal! Glad you found one, I am still waiting on shipping for mine...

That's me! It's in slc now waiting for pick up if you want to go check it out. It's either at his house or at his shop. It's totally sweet. My bro was telling me about you. Where is yours coming from?

I feel like I'm getting away with something having such a nice syncro effectively over night. I just couldn't do the fixer upper again. My bay westy has that department covered.

I know you're all wondering what I paid for it, so I'll put you're minds at ease and let you get a good nights sleep...$11500[/quote]

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find and sounds like its in good hands that will appreciate it! Your Syncro has probably been in my town many a time as we live south of Sandpoint where that came from. Wish I'd have know that deal was coming down as I'm trying to find an excuse to get a Wolfsburg Van from Georgia and have a big trailer I've already towed my Syncro on. Could have worked out a fuel bill to tow yours back East during Christmas vacation, then gone down the coast a day's drive to get mine and brought it back.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steewoz wrote:
That's a major reason I got it and why I wanted the undercoating before it ever hit New England salt.

I still wouldn't drive it here in winter! My rust free west coast van, not driven in winter here, still rusted! Damn New England salt. Evil or Very Mad I couldn't believe the rate it was flowing out of the plow/sander trucks today on the Mass Pike! Shocked
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$595 for the Heidleberg radio and 3.5" Blaupunkt speakers Shocked

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear wiper was only $100 less than the locking rear differential!?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steewoz wrote:

That's me! It's in slc now waiting for pick up if you want to go check it out. It's either at his house or at his shop. It's totally sweet. My bro was telling me about you. Where is yours coming from?

I feel like I'm getting away with something having such a nice syncro effectively over night. I just couldn't do the fixer upper again. My bay westy has that department covered.

Mine is in up state NY Sad Hopefully next week!

Don't feel at all bad about buying a nice one!
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Nice find and sounds like its in good hands that will appreciate it! Your Syncro has probably been in my town many a time as we live south of Sandpoint where that came from. Wish I'd have know that deal was coming down as I'm trying to find an excuse to get a Wolfsburg Van from Georgia and have a big trailer I've already towed my Syncro on. Could have worked out a fuel bill to tow yours back East during Christmas vacation, then gone down the coast a day's drive to get mine and brought it back.

DougM

Well, it's not too late. My Syncro is still in SLC and needs to come home to Boston. After hearing about some automobile shipping nightmares, it looks like I'm getting on a plane this Friday and driving it home unless I can sort out some other plan.

Quote:
vanagonjr
Posted: Today 6:53 pm Post subject:
I still wouldn't drive it here in winter! My rust free west coast van, not driven in winter here, still rusted! Damn New England salt. I couldn't believe the rate it was flowing out of the plow/sander trucks today on the Mass Pike!

The salt dispersement is out of control today! I feel like they went overboard because it's been so mild this winter and "it's in the budget", as they say. I think I was driving on pure salt rock chunks coming up my hill. Sounds like I better take it in for an extra heavy undercoating treatment before next winter..or sooner.

That sticker pricing is laughable, isn't it? I had a good chuckle when I read the cost of the options.

steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
steewoz wrote:

Mine is in up state NY Sad Hopefully next week!

Don't feel at all bad about buying a nice one!

Oh no no. You're mistaken. Believe me, I don't feel bad about it.

Oceanpro907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenraVR6 wrote:
very nice...that 2 day install would have taken me years of piecing together, you must have dropped some coin at that shop

I was thinking the same thing, I have like 1000 hours of labor and untold $$ to get mine where I want it. If I could have done it over, I would have sent mine to Kirk for a week and been done with it. On the other side, I do know where every wire, hose, and peice of tubing are going and there is some comfort in that. I think the OP did the right thing though.....got it done right the first time by an expert.
airsweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro lust is so strong. And I am so weak. So I bought Reply with quote

steewoz wrote:

TuneUp/Inspection
RMW bumpers plus grill guard
SA Grill kit with IPF bulbs
Big Brake kit
Stainless braided brake lines
Mercedes E- Class wheels and new rubber
ARB safari rack, steel with mesh floor
New drive line
New coolant pipes
New header pipe
A fresh undercoat and whole bunch of other stuff.

I love those IPF bulbs! I run the big bulbs (60/80-155/195) and lenses too, they're like a more refined Hella H4... great! I've tried Ciebe, Hella, Bosch, Marchal over the years on the rally and race cars... IPF are my favorite for this kind of application.
1985 1.9 WBX Westy
1986 2.1 WBX Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very good chance that I know the original owner of your van... I grew up in the same valley where your Syncro was sold. Do you have any info on the original purchaser?

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShootingFish wrote:
There is a very good chance that I know the original owner of your van... I grew up in the same valley where your Syncro was sold. Do you have any info on the original purchaser?

R Voit is the original owner.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I love those wheels (and there's not a lot of aftermarket wheels that I really like). What size are they and did you need to use spacers or do anything special to make them fit?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: