Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to break out my trusty tube bender and modify the pre bent fuel line. I used the short end for the fuel pump side. I re-adjusted it by giving it a little sharper bend to bring it closer to the fan shroud. Then I readjusted the frame side by straightening it out and moving the bends to a better fitting place. So after about 10 minutes of playing with it I got a great fitting hard fuel line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A much better fit than before. Also add the firewall safety pass through.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two comments/suggestions....
1) I can't really tell from your pics but make sure the fuel line is not touching the intake manifold. You don't want the friction or the heat. If you have a hole on the fan shroud for the spark plug wire holder, use a three position one and clip the fuel line into it. If you bend the tube just right it will only touch at the clip and the bulkhead.

2) I'm not certain exactly how much the stock fuel line extended forward of the firewall tin, but your tube seems excessive. You might consider trimming it shorter.
My tube ends right about where that first bend is forward of the firewall tin (few inches). If you keep it that long, the end of the tube will be bouncing around from engine/vehicle vibrations. It will need to support the weight of the fuel hose (and the fuel in it) running between the fuel line poking out of the frame and the end of this line. If you plan to mount a fuel filter in this segment it will need to support it as well. Unless you plan to come up with some type of mount to support the line near its end you run the risk of the vibrations causing the hose to come loose while driving.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel filter is under the tank. No where near the engine bay. I thought the tube was a bit long. Will trim it once I get the engine installed. That way I have a better idea where to trim it. Then will secure it. I am running the spark plug wire holders and it will be attached there in the lower position. It does clear the intake and I have a hook style clip that will go on the end fan shroud screw.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you solved your issue. Here is what I did in case anyone wants to see:

I went around the manifold and covered the metal line in rubber to keep from vapor locking. Has worked really well.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the deck lid painted this morning and installed the new to me license plate light. It looks really good.

Before:

After:

Just waiting for the throttle cable and a missing piece of tin. Then off to get emissions and tags.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been dealing with a new issue. When I put the new battery in, the headlights high beam indicator and the headlights themselves came on automatically. I didn't turn them on or mess with their wiring.

The fire damaged the wiring harness in the rear. So the headlight wiring wasn't damaged.

What should I look for to fix this?
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't figured out the lights. So I just pulled the hot wire for now.

I tried to start the car a couple of days ago and nothing. It cranks and turns over great but will not run.

Messed with it again yesterday and still nothing. I did the following:

1. checked spark plugs
    2. checked spark plug wires in correct firing sequence
    3. checked for fuel
    4. checked points and rotor

Today I got some time to fiddle with it. Figured I would tear out the distributor and make sure that I had installed it correctly. But before I did that. I tried to start it one more time.

Got it to start but will not stay running with out a full throttle. Except the engine sounds like it is just idling.

I know that it is a rebuilt carburetor and that the timing needs to be set. But what is causing it to not idle?

If anyone is around the old town Scottsdale area and would be willing to help out, I would really appreciate it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zacharysayre wrote:
Been dealing with a new issue. When I put the new battery in, the headlights high beam indicator and the headlights themselves came on automatically. I didn't turn them on or mess with their wiring.

The fire damaged the wiring harness in the rear. So the headlight wiring wasn't damaged.

What should I look for to fix this?

Fixing burnt harnesses...yuck. Once you have shorting inside, you really need to cut out the wires to the misbehaving components and wire around them imhe.

The real fix is, of course, a new harness.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading a lot of posts on here and else where on the net. My carb is a 30 pict-3. I read that the 2 jets in the passenger side of the carb were the ones to adjust the idle. Every post stated to adjust the front one. I did and nothing. Tonight I decided to reset every thing again and adjust the rear one.

That did it. I have an idling engine. Tomorrow I'll work on get the timing set. Can't wait to try out my new tool -- Dwell/tach meter.

Then will work on the headlights. progress however slow.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read tonight that the headlight relay needs to have power to terminal #30. I had it connected to a constant power circuit. I took off the power wire and created a jumper wire from terminal #56. Which is power from the headlight switch. That fixed the problem with the headlights constantly on no matter where the headlight switch was positioned. Also tested the high/low beam switch. That too works now. Yeah....

Emission and tags are left to do.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

I am doing my tune-up on the stock 1600. these are my compression test readings...

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder3

Cylinder 4

I read somewhere that if there is one 20psi off from the others, its time for a rebuild. These reading are from a rebuild with 309 miles on it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

The common acceptable measure I have heard/read is 10% difference high to low. All of your readings seem to be within around 10% so I don't see any issue.

Also, with only 300 miles on the motor you probably haven't fully sealed the piston rings to the cylinder. Yes, they may be broken in, but that is not the same as giving it enough time to get max sealing and pressure. I'd imagine after 700-1000miles you may get readings that are even closer together.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. Proceeding with the rest of the tune-up.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

I installed the new narrowed adjustable beam with stock spindles. The adjusters are as loose as they can be. I even took the shocks back off. But this is as low as it will go.

There is no play for the front end to go down. I have checked everything and nothing is getting hung up or stopping the front end from going lower.

Not sure what to check or should I add drop spindles to bring the front down some more.

Wanting my ride height to be like Glenn's

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

Not clear which type of front beam adjusters you are running? Can you post pics?

All adjusters work on the principle that the front leaf springs are held in place by the two center discs (top and bottom) that the springs pass thru. Normally these are stationary (peened in place on the stock beams). But installing the adjusters make these discs adjustable allowing the discs to be rotated inside the beam. In the below pic of an Avis style adjuster you can see the screw that passes thru the beam and into the disc. You can also clearly see the slot which dictates the range of motion the center discs move thru.

Depending on how the adjusters are welded onto the beam, they could:
    Allow the front end to only be lowered from stock height.

Allow the front end to only be raised from stock height.

Allow the front end to center at the stock height and be raised or lowered.

For the adjusters to work, the center discs need to be free to rotate. Depending on the style of adjuster, more than one screw on each adjuster may need to be loosened.

The adjuster pictured above often needs the top bolt's lock nut be loosened and the top bolt itself loosened a little to allow the internal disc to rotate freely. Just loosening the bottom bolt/nut will not allow the internal disc to rotate freely.

Hope this helps!
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

Here's what my beam looks like installed and on the ground.

This is what it looks like when it is raised off the ground and I pressed down on the tires to get it to move the suspension as far as it would go.

Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

I drove my 1970 today. It's been a 1 year and 4 months since the front beam broke. Just took it around the block to bounce the front end and check the alignment.

Need to work on the alignment, had very little steering to the right. It also floated all over the road. Not sure if the steering box needs adjustment or not.

But it was fun driving it again.

Still need to get the nose down some more.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

I can’t tell from your pics, but are the studs with the lock nuts moving at all? Remove the lock nuts and the outer plate and show us where the studs rest both when the car is compressing the suspension and when the wheels are off the ground.

Is it possible the teeth on the plates are worn like the below pic?

Lastly, the adjusters may not be the only thing limiting the range of motion for the front wheels. The spindles connect the top and bottom torsion arms together by the top and bottom ball joint. The ball joints have a limited range of motion. It may be possible you have reached the limit for the ball joints. This is why when you use torsion adjusters in the front you sometimes need to install lowered ball joints that have a larger range of motion. This is a pic of a stock ball joint that has been pounded by being lowered beyond the limits that the ball joint can move. Instead of reaching the limit imposed by the adjusters the ball joint was the limiting factor.

Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

The whole front end is brand new. everything. So the adjusters teeth are good. I also installed lower ball joints.
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieter: My 1970 RHD Beetle Reply with quote

here's picture of the beam with the adjuster clamp and bolts removed.

New problem. I am unable to move the arms now. So they are stuck in the lowered position.

I even tried using a sledge hammer to move the arms and nothing.

Everything is lubed up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: