Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 Split Restoration & Intro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures were not of my work. They were from a couple of web sites I found a while back.

In the case of those nuts, I think he made them or had them made. I have never found exact matches for the ones that VW used.

The closest thing I have found is a self clinching captive nut.

http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/pdf/cldata.pdf

They don't look exactly the same on the inside but should look really close on the outside of the quarter panel in the fender well which is really all you would see once the fuse box is installed.

I will try to get the thread pitch so you can know the proper one. You could probably get them from Fastenal. They sell just about any fastener and will sell in small quantities.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmaster(.com) is also a great source for those. I have bought some M6 ones from them, but I am pretty sure the ones for the fuse box are M5s.

Search "panel nuts" at McMaster.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fenders and doors are now primed & ready for paint. Still need to fix the issues identified above & do a couple minor things to the interior, and then the body will be ready for paint as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow going the last couple of months. The hood was a challenge and took a lot of work to get the fit just right. Ditto for the front passenger fender, which came off a different car and initially didn't align well. The gap between fender and front apron wasn't quite right, so it took a little more bodywork than expected. Anyway, all bodywork is complete and the entire car has been sprayed in final primer. Ready now for block sanding.

Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with getting the engine started. I had the starter rebuilt, & it works perfectly at the shop. I have a new Ultima battery that tests well by itself. Put the two together, and the starter will pop the solenoid but the motor won't turn over. The day yesterday ended in frustration and at least one bloody knuckle.

Here's the hood after quite a bit of massaging.....

Working on the fit between fender and apron.....

Driver's front fender ready for final primer. The decklid is on the stands to the right.....

The last body part to get sprayed with final primer.....now ready for block sanding....
jpwerks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: split restoration Reply with quote

I might be out of my area, but your starter issue, might be due to not installing the starter in the bell housing, to test-there is a bushing in there to keep the starter armature inline. Usually in later cars, the solenoid will work but it won't turn starter motor-no matter how rebuilt it is.....
I'm guessing the early cars have the same arrangement
2008 330i BMW
2000 jetta 1.8T
2004 Golf 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. Even a worn out bell housing bushing will cause problems with the alignment of the armature. In my case, the starter won't turn mounted or not mounted. In fact, it'll spin just fine on the test bench back at the electrical shop (which is not a good idea except for very brief tests), but won't work when I bring it home. I likely need to pull the engine (again), install another bushing, mount the starter, and test it prior to reinstalling the engine. That's what I should've done in the first place, but was too eager to hear some combustion.
fusca66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Wink congratulations
Sp2 1972 1700cc

Na duvida não ultrapasse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted an update, but progress has been slow with ongoing 'unglamorous' bodyword. Once the body was flipped over on the rotisserie, we found quite a bit of rust in the heater channels and flange where the body attaches to the pan. Anyway, we finally got to the point of spraying some paint. Below are pictures of the hood and fenders. The Bourdeaux Red paint is a beautiful and interesting color. Notice how much the color changes when light from the camera is close to the body part. The hood and fenders are freshly painted and have not been color sanded.

The doors should be painted this week and the body painted next week.
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that looks great cant wait to see it in person. Applause
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Latest update Reply with quote

Took a few more pictures today, after the loose body pieces had been color sanded and partially buffed. One more round of buffing left to go. Here are a couple pictures of the hood, fenders, and one door. The other parts were being worked on, so couldn't get a picture. I'm loving the Bordeaux Red color!!

67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to be at this point with my 52. Just had the body blasted and have all the body work to do myself.

You should be super excited sir!
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is getting exciting at this point. All of the bodywork that's been completed over the past year was critical to getting a great paint job, but it wasn't exactly the most thrilling portion of the process. Progress was always being made, but sometimes it was hard to tell & often felt like it was never going to end. Still a long way to go.
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I decided to keep the 25hp engine in it's pristine state and install something that'll be more enjoyable in city traffic. So, Joe (Mr. Okrasa) is building me a 36hp Okrasa clone. When I sell the car someday, I'll swap engines back to the original & put the Okrasa in the next project.

Here's a link to a thread he posted in the Vintage Speed section, which shows an old EMPI stamp in the block we're using....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565613
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: 1950 split project Reply with quote

Hello,
I am interested in this build because I just purchased a 1950 split in this same red L51 color. Can you tell me what paint you used and how they mixed it or the formula? I will need some at some point. Tim
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Paint code Reply with quote

I went to the Glasurit web site......

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php

Enter whatever paint code you're looking for in the upper left field (next to "Code"), and it'll bring you to a page with the formula.

I then went to a supplier who carried BASF & Glasurit paint, & they mixed it up.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint job looks fantastic and that color is beautiful! I plan on painting my car this color even though it's an oval dash split.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Paint job looks fantastic and that color is beautiful! I plan on painting my car this color even though it's an oval dash split.

although the stock chestnut brown for a zwitter is pretty awesome too! (right Paul)

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
I went to the Glasurit web site......

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php

Enter whatever paint code you're looking for in the upper left field (next to "Code"), and it'll bring you to a page with the formula.

I then went to a supplier who carried BASF & Glasurit paint, & they mixed it up.

That is a great site. Unfortunately they list L21 (Pearl Grey that I am looking for a formula for) but it is greyed out (no pun intended). I assume that this means that they do not have the mix?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Engine & Tranny installed Reply with quote

Haven't posted an update in a while. I slowed down the VW restoration while getting my garage built. Now that it's about finished, I can get the Bug back on track. Today, I installed the new transmission and engine from Mr. Okrasa. The original 25hp engine and smooth case transmission will be saved with all parts intact. Below is the engine and transmission installed in the pan. I'm doing the pan work at the shop where the body is awaiting paint, so there's tons of dust in the air. The plastic sheeting is to keep the pan semi clean.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: