Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI rear disk caliper
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to VW.
I have 74 STD bug, installed EMPI rear disk with e-brake last year.
It is leaking fluid now, I'd like to replace with better quality caliper.
Do you know what kind of caliper to get?
I just don't want to buy EMPI caliper anymore.
Thank you for your help.

Max
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge neither Empi nor Topline make rear disc brake calipers. They simply package a caliper made by Varga or similar into a kit which includes the mounting adapter, hardware and other items you require. The Empi kits I have purchased used a Varga caliper for my '69, and a caliper without logo stamping for my '71. This is no different then a bazillion replacement calipers I've bought over the years for various vehicles. Sometimes they're stamped with the manufacturer (Varga, ATE, Girling, etc.) and sometimes not.

I have yet to see a caliper with the Empi logo cast into the body of the caliper. Knowing the casting and machining costs of building a caliper (I used to work in the performance aftermarket) I'd be Shocked to find a company like Empi producing their own.

The rear disc brake caliper commonly used in late model Beetle kits is the Varga caliper found on some Ford models. In some notebook, somewhere, I actually have the year and model number of the vehicle so that I could order rebuilt calipers at my local autoparts store.

But check your calipers, if the manufacturer is stamped in the body, with a part number, your local autoparts store might be able to find you a rebuild easily enough.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owdlvr

After I checked your respond, I looked at my caliper could not find any stamp.
I googled to see some photos of EMPI calipers and I see what you mean.

From your advice, I looked at NAPA parts online, found Ford Taurus use similar calipers, I don't know if it's same but I'll go see local NAPA, hope they let me check the caliper they have.

Thank you for your quick respond owdlvr, I'm grad I found this forum.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a varga brand caliper it is better than the Empi Sh&t I can't believe empi has not done something about this piece of crap caliper. There are some very high end brand out there that will not give problems but you will pay for them.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local NAPA did not have any caliper I want to check.
they can get it but I have to order with out knowing if it fits.

I'll try more auto parts shop.
hope they have varga brand.
a little more price does not matter, just want to get better parts.

Now I really appreciate what car can do for me, I'm on bicycle now.
feel like kid again.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you will need to get it from the classifieds here or order new from CB performance or Topline
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is your empi caliper leaking from? if it's the piston seal, just buy a new seal. they're very cheap and easy to replace. at least you'll have a working car while you research better quality replacement calipers.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on here somewhere that it is the 2003 Ford Taurus that has the similar components to what comes in the EMPI kit.

I had on of these calipers seize up on the sliders and had to change it and the rear rotor out.
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torsionbar

It's from e-brake lever shaft ( I don't know how I say it) there is a o-ring or what should I call ???...around shaft that's where leaking from.

catbox

Yesterday I was looking NAPA website, 2000 Ford Taurus's rear caliper look same but I was not 100% sure, I could not compare actual caliper cuz they did not have any in stock in shop.

from positive point of view I'll have one broken caliper but I can actually take it to junk yard to find same part. even I have to buy another EMPI this time.

If anyone has done same thing I'd like know result.
It might help a lot of people who want to have disk brake, they just buy bracket and rotor from EMPI, rest we can put together with better parts.
Just my opinion.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxmorita wrote:
torsionbar

Yesterday I was looking NAPA website, 2000 Ford Taurus's rear caliper look same but I was not 100% sure, I could not compare actual caliper cuz they did not have any in stock in shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's damned close, but not correct. The bleed screw would end up below the brake line in a Beetle application. I did check last night, my recently purchased EMPI brake set has no markings or castings on the caliper...but the set I bought for my '69 did:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately I've since sold the car, so checking the castings won't be easy. I do know the new owner quite well, but won't have a chance to look until spring.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Great! it's a big help!

I really appreciate it!
paul_f
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an empi Vargo caliper on my desk right now, struggling to get the boots for the sliders - looking at the picture of the Ford Taurus caliper mount on autozone these are slightly different - the boot goes into the slider.

Anyway the Vargo casting number for the caliper is VFCC 2353 -1
The casting number for the bracket is VFSU0066.4

Does that centric parts enable you to search by casting number?
Maxmorita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul

Thanks for the numbers. local auto parts store could not get anything from numbers.
The guy just punch some numbers in their pc and nothing come up, that's all he can do.

I don't blame him, I just have to be more creative now.
I'll try something and if I find something I'll post here.

It's been great help for me, thanks everyone.
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone could come up with some good info on this i could sick a buddy of mine that works at one of the local chain store part houses on finding other options that might work.
paul_f
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will just get some golf calipers and modify the caliper plates to use them instead
slg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the ford ones wont fit or can it? i have the empi ones. bought the kit and the rears were crap, the ebrake did nothing, i could pull it all the way and spin the tire with my hand, so i tried to fit golf calipers, which end up being a nightmare and waste of money, so now i need another option...

dont want to go back to drums, but i need the ebrake theres hill eveywhere where i live
Brent'sGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

Greetings! I'm new to the forum and followed a link here concerning EMPI rear disk caliper.

I have had nothing but problems with this kit since I bought it in late 2011, but due to back problems I didn't install it until 2012 and the car has mostly been sitting in the garage since then.

Long story short, I took the car out on the street and the rear brakes were locked up tight as if I had the e-brake engaged, which I didn't. I drove to the middle of the street and turned back. Wheels were hot by then.

I put it up on stands and removed the calipers to find that I had had a brake fluid leak at the caliper piston. I have been told by the company where I bought the kit that EMPI does not make a caliper rebuild kit (so I guess you're supposed to buy new calipers if they leak).

I don't have 10 miles on these calipers and they are shot..they are the Chinese mfg.

My cheapest option would be the right size 'O' Ring and whatever else is needed. I have $385 in the rear disk brake package and haven't even been able to drive the car. The company that I bought from offered to sell me new calipers at their cost since my warranty expired a long time ago, but that's another $200.00
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

The Ford calipers will bolt on, but as stated above the bleeder and hose connections are reversed. The bigger problem with them is that the pistons are much larger and will throw off the front to rear bias. That also means that repair kits for the Ford won't fit.

One of my Empi calipers leaked from day one at the e brake lever. It turns out the piston was never assembled correctly, a snap ring was not seated in it's groove. I was able to fix it after completely disassembling it, but I don't have much faith in them holding up in the long run.
Brent'sGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

Thanks Rockcrawl, that's good to know. Any idea which calipers are a direct fit (with bleed screw on the bottom)?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI rear disk caliper Reply with quote

Your calipers leaked because the seals got burnt when you overheated the brakes.

When you install the brakes and before you drive them you have to make sure they are adjusted correctly.

The piston has a large adjusting screw inside it to take up the slack as the pads wear. A lot of times the screws are not turned in far enough causing the pads to be tight and locking up the brakes as they get hotter and hotter.

They can also be turned in too far causing a low (soft) pedal because the piston has to travel too far to move the pads.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: