Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Lifted Van, Cargo Space Below Reply with quote

As soon as my Burley A-arms come in, I'm lifting Zeno. For a 2WD van he's going to stand a bit taller than normal (not that he doesn't already) and this is going to make a bit of space down below. I'm thinking about the possibility of adding some additional stowage there, like the cargo boxes you see on this LT35. Has anyone else done something like this? Photos (the images on this LT were taken at night)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you lifting it because you want ground clearance? or are you lifting it to make storage room under it?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Mule (Dasmule.com) will soon begin offering their cargo cages that are located in the same spot. I saw an earlier version installed in a Syncro that shiped to South America and they are very nice.
They are a little bit shallower than the boxes in your picture (sit flush with the rails) but for a Syncro that's great because you don't loose ground clearance,

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: lift Reply with quote

wyomingriviera wrote:
Are you lifting it because you want ground clearance? or are you lifting it to make storage room under it?
Blue Bay Bus WHY! I like the rack on the roof . More storage less cost and by far more ground clearance . Even 2wd are great off road why would you want less clearance! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much crap do you want to carry that you actually need a storage space underneath...

I alway revel in the fact that I dont need tons of stuff thats why I own a vanagon and not a huge RV
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the uniqueness of stowing that way - including the lower center of gravity of a vehicle you are lifting and thus making more dangerous in emergency handling. But it just seems like hard-fought storage that could be easily accomplished elsewhere. The container will need to be seriously dust and water proof, and whenever you are accessing it, the box will be coated with road grime. In an offroad situation, it is a serious loss of ground clearance - far more than the height gained in a mild lift. Finally, it will be expensive storage because it will be virtually custom made.

By contrast, roof storage is removable when not needed, above the road grime zone, cheap, easily accessed, won't affect ground clearance, and provides many more configuration options.

I know that wasn't the question, but just throwing it out there.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semantics aside, there was a guy either here or on the Vanagon List a few years back put a welded a metal box in that spot underneath the sliding door.

It was secured with bolts and grommets through the floor I think. It was only about three inches deep as I recall, but probably 1' by 3'. He used it for tools. I haven't been able to find a photo of it, but it was cool and appeared to have very little effect on ground clearance.

ETA: I realized that it was the "A Vanagon For All Seasons" website, one of the greatest ever, and it's GONE! What a drag! Sad

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I loved that storage box, too. My reaction to it would be a place to keep things you're not going to need except for a situation. Such as a spare part, etc. If you're loaded to the gills and heading out on a trip and out of storage, then you've likely got the floor busy already. So accessing under floor stuff means moving things to get to it. But I thought it was a terrific idea and solves my issues above regarding ground clearance loss, and dirt since you access it from the van.

Good call pointing it out, but bummer it is gone. This underfloor location was also used on that amazing Syncro thread where they installed a reinforced roof rack that electrically raised and lowered so the poptop was usable even with hundreds of pounds were up there.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Semantics aside, there was a guy either here or on the Vanagon List a few years back put a welded a metal box in that spot underneath the sliding door.

It was secured with bolts and grommets through the floor I think. It was only about three inches deep as I recall, but probably 1' by 3'. He used it for tools. I haven't been able to find a photo of it, but it was cool and appeared to have very little effect on ground clearance.

ETA: I realized that it was the "A Vanagon For All Seasons" website, one of the greatest ever, and it's GONE! What a drag! Sad

My primary motivation is to build external storage for my rolling tool set and spare parts I might need to carry. I saw the stowage on that LT35 (which I have been drooling over since it was posted) and thought that its actually kind of a nice idea. Plus if you limit the box depth and width to fit in the area below the slider and to not exceed the frame you don't lose much in the way of clearance. Would be even cooler if the door opened on the stowage and then a tray with all my tools rolled out, but that's just me dreaming.

We've got a lot of snow on the ground right now otherwise I'd take my tool kit and lay it out next to the van to see how well it might fit, as-is. Sure would be nice to get some of this stuff out of the cabin and living space. Ever had a can of WD-40 spring a leak in your cabinets? I'd even be willing to give up a little clearance if I could keep that smell out of the wood and carpet.

Lower center of gravity and distribution of weight (left and right) are also nice benefits to doing it this way.

To answer the couple of questions about the pending lift, I'm lifting Zeno because a) the springs and shocks I have on there now are shot and need to be replaced and b) because the additional clearance will be welcome considering some of the places I like to go. Plus the slightly taller vanagon looks pretty damn cool in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to build an underfloor box in Das Mule doesn't come thru with an affordabel option I like. I think it's the perfect place for heavy tools, spares and recovery gear. It's low, it's centered on the vehicle, and it offsets the driver's side weight of a westy.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dimensions of that space? How about a long ammo can (already watertight) that snaps up there? Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-120-MM-Mortar-Military-S...4ab1396c9d

held up with some lockable tension latches?

Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
What are the dimensions of that space? How about a long ammo can (already watertight) that snaps up there? Something like this?

Awesome idea, I've already been looking for smaller boxes for the bumpers, but if I can find a long box that is oriented correctly I might have a cheap, bolt on solution.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:

Done and done, my van had one under the slider, virtually undetectable to all but the most discerning vanagon eye if it is painted black.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a superb idea. Would be great to know what size/model ammo can fit so nicely up there so someone wanting to do the same could find on on eBay or similar and know it's the right one.

Mounting it on those scissers arms would be SO cool. You could release it and pull it straight down for easier access.

Great thinking, JB!
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Steelhead wrote:

Done and done, my van had one under the slider, virtually undetectable to all but the most discerning vanagon eye if it is painted black.

Come on no pics????

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Steelhead wrote:

Pictures senior, we require the photographs.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Steelhead wrote:

Mark- Not surprised you figured that out already. Of course, not all of us have the world's greatest army surplus store nearby (like that warehouse you've got in idaho falls).
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ammo box was actually the work of the previous owner, 2 metal straps and bolts held it up in place, not bad to remove, but I actually never used it as we just didn't need that space.

The ammo can that steelhead posted a pic of looks like the one, but as I don't own the van anymore I can confirm the dimensions right now, but I did send the current owner an e-mail asking for the dimensions so I will post up when I hear from him.

The ammo can really did fit the space just right, it hung down ~1.5" below the rocker on that side of the van, but the propane tank hung down further on the drivers side so there was not really any loss of ground clearance.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a hydro-flame furnace mounted up in under there on my bay. Don't use it much in this neck of the woods though. Might remove it and put in a row or deep cells. We all need more space for bolt ons and options. Beware of exceding the angle of your cv's doing your lift. I had to up to 930's.
DASMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fine tuning the CAD models for our under van storage NOW. It sounds like most people are interested in using them primarily for tools. We are also considering a water storage container as an accessory that would fit in the exact space.

Interested to know what all of you would love to be able to use these under van storage spaces for -- the idea is to make a product that people actually want and will use!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: