Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drive your 356 day in Ga a bust
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: drive your 356 day in Ga a bust Reply with quote

Yeaterday I attempted to attend the 356 day in Helen Ga with my brother and his clean 76 911.We foolishly assumed as a 356registry member we could attend.We enjoyed the drive from Atl . looking foward to some cars and meeting fellow enthusiast.We were soley disappointed as when we arrived at the venue we were told unless we had regestered for this event specifically we could not stay in any way shape or form. This is outright bullshit . Snobbery and rude behaviour extended to fellow Porsche owners/drivers is unacceptable.It is not as if we pulled up in a 71 ford f-100 snot bucket belching smoke and loud music followed by empty beer cans out the doors,. We were well dressed and respectful of the venue . No loss as this bunch had no comprehension of real comradery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcretePump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer dude................
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: drive your 356 day in Ga a bust Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
we were told unless we had regestered for this event specifically we could not stay in any way shape or form.

Couldn't stay as a partisipant? Or a spectator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a pre-registration only event and you didn't, then they had no option other than to turn you away. To be fair to those who did per-register and likely because their permit and insurance was based on a set number of participating cars and people and a violation would put them at risk and void their insurance should anything happen.

Just makes good sense. Protects people, participants, and themselves.

Sorry, but that's the new world.

TC
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you werent allowed in at all to see the cars? or just not allowed to park in certain areas?

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk.html

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: 356 Reply with quote

We were told to leave , period . And no compromise or any reasonable solution such as park elsewher, just look at the cars(which is what we intended to do) or perhaps registyer now.No we were shown the door in a very rude fashion.
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche people suck, but on the other hand VW owners that also own Porsche's tend to be much more approachable, nice and willing to help without the snobbery. Just my own observation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
We were told to leave , period . And no compromise or any reasonable solution such as park elsewher, just look at the cars(which is what we intended to do) or perhaps registyer now.No we were shown the door in a very rude fashion.

This makes no sense at all, that is insane
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: 356 Reply with quote

I love my 912 but I have to say the VW crowd is so much more accomodating and friendly.The elitist snobbery is just bullshit.We are all in these groups/clubs/forums to enjoy our cars and hobby,fellowship and support.When we realized how much this group wanted us out of there any attempt at reasoning or common ground for the marque was moot. In outher words I will not stay where i am not wanted. Their loss as we had some great stories and humor to share Laughing
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you just misinterpreted what they said? A bunch of the cars drove past our vw camp out on Saturday and I saw a few more on Sunday. They all seemed nice and waived and smiled at me in my 78 westy.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you are not a star belly sneetch? I encountered a lot of this when I tried to associate with some split window folks (having a bay window) thought it was ridiculous as well. not sure if the car they have makes them an ass or has little to do with it. whens there next meet I have totaly beat shitbox 914 I could get to make the trip. I will show up like eddy from vacation. I was told by a porsche dealer (Stoddard in fact) that technically thats not a porsche because it has a vw name badge.
Michael Rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why me and some friends started our own car show or what I like to call "the non car show car show" no pre-registering, we don't tell you where to park, no "peoples choice" judging that goes to the car with the most buddies attending the show, no trophies handed out, just good people and their cars. I even had a very nice lady who said she had registered which I thought was funny because we don't pre-register (she went onto the web site guest book and put her name down) and she drove all the way to the show in her 2010 Porsche Caymen so I let her in! What am I going to do turn her away? And as it turns out her old 911 was there with the new owner so she got to see her old car, she was very happy.

All air cooled VW's and Porsche's welcome!

www.norcalvintagevwandporschetreffen.com

August 5th, 2012
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a 'Registry Holiday'? Sometimes they have these events, you register and that's it. The pre-registered people get food, drinks, hotel etc.

It's not a regular car show per se, but a weekend outing type of thing. They have things like wine tasting, fancy dinners etc.
type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 356 guys playing hardball.
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Rogers wrote:
That's why me and some friends started our own car show or what I like to call "the non car show car show" no pre-registering, we don't tell you where to park, no "peoples choice" judging that goes to the car with the most buddies attending the show, no trophies handed out, just good people and their cars. I even had a very nice lady who said she had registered which I thought was funny because we don't pre-register (she went onto the web site guest book and put her name down) and she drove all the way to the show in her 2010 Porsche Caymen so I let her in! What am I going to do turn her away? And as it turns out her old 911 was there with the new owner so she got to see her old car, she was very happy.

August 5th, 2012

This sounds like my type of car show!
Please tell me you let in everyone who comes except the annoying ass "DJ" blaring 102 db's of "rocking oldies" and then yakking through the entire car show as if anyone wants to hear them. I'm afraid the next car show I go to will have a wet T-shirt contest... Don't get me started on trophies. I mean seriously, who the F#*K needs a trophy for working on their car? Rolling Eyes
Lahti35
Samba Member

Location: Always the wrong side of the drawbridge in Bay City, MI.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Rogers wrote:

August 5th, 2012

Rock on, my kind of show! We have a similar show put on by a local A&W (the real deal from the 50's, not that fast food joint with the same name).

Show up about dinner time, get 1/2 off dinner if you bring a car. No registration or fees, bring whatever car you want, and be sure to have a good time... my favorite show.

1962 Gulf Blue Beetle Horror...THE MOVIE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMp7QYEBNw

Trololo Man RIP 1935-2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfVdrtLcRs
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcraigbug wrote:
Porsche people suck, but on the other hand VW owners that also own Porsche's tend to be much more approachable, nice and willing to help without the snobbery. Just my own observation.

^This exactly. I worked at a Porsche repair/restoration shop from age 22-25, and although I was a licensed tech and was skilled and passionate about my work, people were hesitant to let me touch their cars for the fear that I'd mess it up, OR go joyriding in the thing.

The funny thing was, it was moreso 924 and 944 owners who were really overprotective, where the people with classic 911s, etc were pretty great.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

356 owners are the equivelent in snobbery of Ferrari Owners (becuase i own this car you should worship me) sadly i would say Notchback owners in the Type 3 realm are much the same when it comes to there fellow type 3ers that own say.... fastbacks...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
356 owners are the equivelent in snobbery of Ferrari Owners (becuase i own this car you should worship me) sadly i would say Notchback owners in the Type 3 realm are much the same when it comes to there fellow type 3ers that own say.... fastbacks...

I have a different experience. I went to the Registry Holiday in Palm Springs, it was my first one and I am new to the Porsche 356 world. I probably had the rattiest car there, but everyone I talked to said nothing but nice things about it, mostly that I shouldn't restore it because there are already too many shiny 356s. It was a mostly older crowd, but were not grumpy or stand offish at all. I didn't really see any snobbery, but I am sure it is there, just like it is in the VW world, though I attribute it more to personal taste. Sorry, I just can't excited about fat chicks and type 3s, that doesn't mean their owners shouldn't.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: