Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 +
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: 68 + Reply with quote

Just curious is there a problem or something that is not liked or prefered from 68 up beetles ? i know I keep hearing you want a 67 back . I know i dont want nothing newer than 69 just for preference reasons but is there still issues in the 68 , 69 era ? I have found a 68 i really like but before i commit to anything I wanted to ask you guys 1st . Thx
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

68 is the first year of the "Fat Chick".

Quote:
Slang term for most air-cooled VWs that use 4-bolt wheels, such as 68 and newer Standard Beetles, Super Beetles, Bay Window Buses, 1970 and later Ghias, 1970 and later Type 3s, etc.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahite I am gonna show some ignorance here . " Fat Chick " ?
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newer the bug, the thinner the metal, the sooner they rust,

still i love my 73 sb!

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all personal preference. My daily drivers I always look for a 69 or newer and 73 - 74 I feel are the best drivers in stock form with the late model gearing. Not knocking the older cars at all I had a '66 that I drove for years and have several older in the fleet I enjoy also.
Currently my daily driver is a '79 Mexican built retired German Army beetle with a 40hp 1200cc, swing axle and early gearing. It isn't as comfortable on the expressway but does just fine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

`68's are the oddball of the bunch - with mid-year change parts and the last of the swingaxles in the US...I like my 'IRS' cars, too much time spent changing broken swingaxle boxes.

Later cars have safety and comfort refinements...side impact door bars, collapsible steering column, improved suspension (arguably the Super even)larger brakes, more HVAC ductwork, larger engines, taller gears, etc.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
blackwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what I am reading is they all have there little quirks and issues but as far as the year goes it is just more or less personal preference . I have a 74 super now . I like it fine , little hard on the steering at slow speeds but all in all drives and rides like a champ . I am just looking for something little older to play with if you will . You know the hole drop the rear stick narrowed beam and some drop spindles in front blah blah blah . i just didnt want to purchase something and when i got it home find out that the suspension was not gonna allow me to do what I wanted like I did with the super . Embarassed
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackwell wrote:
So what I am reading is they all have there little quirks and issues but as far as the year goes it is just more or less personal preference . I have a 74 super now . I like it fine , little hard on the steering at slow speeds but all in all drives and rides like a champ . I am just looking for something little older to play with if you will . You know the hole drop the rear stick narrowed beam and some drop spindles in front blah blah blah . i just didnt want to purchase something and when i got it home find out that the suspension was not gonna allow me to do what I wanted like I did with the super . Embarassed

Generally older cars have more wrong with them simply due to the fact that they're older. They also cost more and are harder to find parts for. Super Beetles, with the correct mods, easily have the best handling of any of the beetle family. I personally think that older beetles have more class to them, like a fine wine, but from what I've seen being part of the website for almost 4 years, the older beetles are owned by people who have been in this game for a really long time. I love my fatchick beetle, I have a bigger engine than the vintage croud, it's more comfortable and parts are easier to get ahold of. I hope that this insight helps you out a bit.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
blackwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bug you have there Dr. Darby . Kinda funny that Germany had to go to Mexico to get a Volkswagen Rolling Eyes
blackwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh patterbon I am becoming a regular scholar by reading all the post and forums on here . I am sure glad i found this place for sure . I was looking for a place to hang out look and learn and that is exactly what I am doing . Thank You to the hole Samba family Exclamation
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best part about this site. You have a range of people who are just starting all the way to people who have been in this game for 25-35 years! You'll get alot of your knowledge from just reading through threads and looking around and asking questions like the one in regard to the 68+ beetles. You'll notice too, not always, but generally, the late model forum, has alot of "Help!" threads, so what you can gather from that is that alot of these people here are new to VW's. Where as in the Split Window forum, alot of it is people showing off their finds and their restorations, sledom asking for alot of techical help. It's just something that I've personally noticed. You'll get alot of people shaming late model beetles because they're goofy looking in comparision to the older beetles, but here in this forum, you're amongst people who are in the same boat as you. Welcome to TheSamba.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Vellat wrote:
`68's are the oddball of the bunch - with mid-year change parts and the last of the swingaxles in the US...I like my 'IRS' cars, too much time spent changing broken swingaxle boxes.

Later cars have safety and comfort refinements...side impact door bars, collapsible steering column, improved suspension (arguably the Super even)larger brakes, more HVAC ductwork, larger engines, taller gears, etc.

Not unless you have a 68 auto stick (or one that's been converted to manual transmission...like mine)

A 69 is essentially a 68 if you go my route. Ive owned both at the same time. Very minor differences (hood release location, filler door access,speedo appearance)

1968 Type 1 Beetle 1641 m/t conversion with IRS
1965 Type 1 Beetle 1200 Bahama Blue
2008 GTI
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: fat chick = super beetle Reply with quote

The ORIGINAL fat chick was the Super Beetle, as it had the Macpherson front struts with bloated front fenders, and later the curved windshield and the large, bulbous front trunk lid.

The term wasn't really commonly used until the later curved windshield came out in 73 model year.

If you have old film or print literature from back in the '70's, fat chick = super beetle.

It had nothing to do with the wheels (eg. in some countries '68 Beetles came with 5-bolt wheels).

"Fat Chick or Fat Girl: Descriptive Name-Type 1 Super Beetles and Cabrios (1972-1979); refers to overweight appearance of the trunk lid".

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey wrote:
Chris Vellat wrote:
`68's are the oddball of the bunch - with mid-year change parts and the last of the swingaxles in the US...I like my 'IRS' cars, too much time spent changing broken swingaxle boxes....

Not unless you have a 68 auto stick (or one that's been converted to manual transmission...like mine)

A 69 is essentially a 68 if you go my route...

The last of the swingaxles were available in `68. That also happened to be the adoption of the 'IRS' suspension among the Autostick line.

A `68 AS is essentially a `69 4-speed if you take a `68 AS and converted it to `69+ 4-speed transmission and chassis configuration.

My current car is a `68 from the windshield forward (w/`67 gas tank and matching bodywork), and a `69 Autostick from there back, also converted to 4-speed. I do like the early hood/gas tank release near the steering column, in my mind they screwed up relocating it to the glovebox.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's

Last edited by Chris Vellat on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 + Reply with quote

blackwell wrote:
Just curious is there a problem or something that is not liked or prefered from 68 up beetles ? i know I keep hearing you want a 67 back . I know i dont want nothing newer than 69 just for preference reasons but is there still issues in the 68 , 69 era ? I have found a 68 i really like but before i commit to anything I wanted to ask you guys 1st . Thx

i like the 68's so much that i got 2 of them! so i say go for it if it is up to par on what your looking for in a bug!

68-70 are good years. they dont have the crescent shaped vents behind the back side windows so they shouldnt be all rusted out in that area.

68 is the only fat check imported to the states by vw that has that cambered // \\ look the early bugs have when they are lowered.
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 + Reply with quote

JonF wrote:
...68 is the only fat check imported to the states by vw that has that cambered // \\ look the early bugs have when they are lowered.

But any IRS car can be converted to swingaxle to achieve the same effect...note, almost everyone in the World goes the other way around, to get rid of the camber.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 + Reply with quote

JonF wrote:

68-70 are good years. they dont have the crescent shaped vents behind the back side windows so they shouldnt be all rusted out in that area.

It's not the vents that cause the rust, it's the foam inside that traps condensation in there.

It's just coincidence that the factory started injecting the foam at the same time as the vents were added.

That's why you see them rusting in the roof above the gutters next to the back window, water doesn't travel uphill from the vents to there to cause rust.
RDbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 + Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
JonF wrote:

It's not the vents that cause the rust, it's the foam inside that traps condensation in there.

It's just coincidence that the factory started injecting the foam at the same time as the vents were added.

That's why you see them rusting in the roof above the gutters next to the back window, water doesn't travel uphill from the vents to there to cause rust.

Are those foams removal?if it's going to cause rust better to get rid of it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Aircooled VW is an Aircooled VW no matter what year.
The main thing to me rust free body and STOCK!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 + Reply with quote

RDbugger wrote:

Are those foams removal?if it's going to cause rust better to get rid of it.

It's messy but yes.

It's that expanding foam that sets hard so it needs to be broken apart and scraped out.

I left it alone in mine, I live in a dryish climate so it hasn't caused any rust in my car and serves it purpose of keeping out noise/dust and fumes but best thing you're right best thing you can do is get it out of there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: