Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to step up my game to compete with anyone. I learned a long time ago that no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone more talented. So just build to your own skillset for your own enjoyment and to share with others who can appreciate it.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I do wish we had a local model club though Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I was going to say the same thing.

Heinz Nordhoff
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a model club here in Pittsburgh, but I don't really have any involvement with them outside of going to their annual shows.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said any one had to step up their game. I said that is the method I used to push myself to reach the next level. Competition is one way to judge your progress. Just like any other game or sport or hobby.
I know guys that win all the time but by their own choice don't do certain things to their models. ALL of us agree the first and foremost aspect to this or any other hobby is to ENJOY what you do and build for yourself. The vast majority of my models I would not enter in a contest, as I don't want to do what is needed to compete. They are for me to enjoy sitting on my shelf.
I personally enjoy seeing what other people have done regardless if it is a show winner or not. Great ideas are everywhere. That is why I encourage people to look at my stuff. It may give them an idea for their next project. And I always answer peoples questions as best I can so that they can find the pleasure that I do from taking an idea in the mind and working it out in styrene. Have fun guys!
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a Futurista off eBay that was built probably in the 60's. Look at how the engine has super detail even though the builder put some parts in the wrong place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I may have a problem.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Model House Ghia bumpers today too! Very Happy

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:

Is this the old revell kit that had the black n red car on the box? I have seen pictures but in all my many years at model shows and swap meets I have never seen one
Model House is and amazing rescource
this is gonna be a cool little car Very Happy
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
We just got a Futurista off eBay that was built probably in the 60's. Look at how the engine has super detail even though the builder put some parts in the wrong place.

I may have a problem.

When I restored mine I wrote to the Daryl Starbird museum and they gave me all the correct paint names to recreate the actual car. It is a very cool little kit
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:

Is this the old revell kit that had the black n red car on the box? I have seen pictures but in all my many years at model shows and swap meets I have never seen one
Model House is and amazing rescource
this is gonna be a cool little car Very Happy

Its a PMC Ghia. They show up on eBay every once in a while. I meant Model Haus not House, for the bumpers. They take 4 weeks.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the detail is sweet on that. Like I said, I had one when I was a little kid, probably the first or second model I ever had. I think all I have left of it is one of the mufflers in my parts tub. I also recall that weird air cleaner but not sure I still have it.

I'll have to track down one of these. (Or get the Vaughn Bros. to trade.)

Heinz Nordhoff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:

The Revell "Cadet" Ghia and it's sister Beetle were produced by Revell of Germany in 1962, and were similar to the 1/40 Wikings.

They were 1/40 scale and came in two different boxes, one set of box art for the German market and one for the U.S. The "Cadet" boxes were much smaller than the standard Revell boxes.

There's a picture of the Beetle on Page 1 of this thread. I don't have a built up example of the Ghia.

Heinz Nordhoff
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i am currently building a 66 tamiya bug kit and im trying to make it as close as possible to the lighting bug gasser but some of the decals that were on the lighting bug seem like they would be very difficult to paint at such a small scale. Are using decals okay? Then how do i go about with making decals?

Thank you in advance!
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Martinez wrote:
Hey i am currently building a 66 tamiya bug kit and im trying to make it as close as possible to the lighting bug gasser but some of the decals that were on the lighting bug seem like they would be very difficult to paint at such a small scale. Are using decals okay? Then how do i go about with making decals?

Thank you in advance!

Unless you can find someone with an Alps printer you are kinda outa luck on that one. The Alps prints white and gold foils. I was one of the biggest makers of those decals way back when and I had planned on doing the Lightning Bug but I needed money for my Ghia so it is gone.
If you can find someone with that printer then you need to find a really good picture of the car and scan the images into a computer graphics program. You then have to isolate the stuff you need and clean it up, then resize to fit your model. After all that it is ready to print.
What you can do on your own is scan the pictures and resize untill the artwork you need fits your model. Print and cut them out on top of tape that you can use as masking for paint. Not as nice as the decals but without the printer its as good as you can get.
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Jake Martinez wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Unless you can find someone with an Alps printer you are kinda outa luck on that one. The Alps prints white and gold foils. I was one of the biggest makers of those decals way back when and I had planned on doing the Lightning Bug but I needed money for my Ghia so it is gone.
If you can find someone with that printer then you need to find a really good picture of the car and scan the images into a computer graphics program. You then have to isolate the stuff you need and clean it up, then resize to fit your model. After all that it is ready to print.
What you can do on your own is scan the pictures and resize untill the artwork you need fits your model. Print and cut them out on top of tape that you can use as masking for paint. Not as nice as the decals but without the printer its as good as you can get.
ok i guess ill try to make a stencil, unless i can figure something else out to get some decals made. and i was also wondering where people were getting the dual 48 IDA's Laughing ??
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Martinez wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Jake Martinez wrote:

Thank you in advance!

ok i guess ill try to make a stencil, unless i can figure something else out to get some decals made. and i was also wondering where people were getting the dual 48 IDA's Laughing ??

Replica and Miniatures of Maryland has some beautiful Webbers and there is even the lil venturi tube in the throat made from brass
Hosted on Fotki
That is the motor for my chop top 70s drag bug that I was going to do the Lightning Bug with
Hosted on Fotki
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found links to pictures for the carbs but I didn't seem to find any listed forsale
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are old school no web site
Norm is the name 410-768-3648 call him for information and get a catalog if you build things besides VW He has a ton of stuff
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my choptop gasser under construction. This one is based on an IMC. (I'll have to
get some new completion pictures.) I followed the 1973 NHRA rules.

A set of those Webers would look a lot better than the Revell stacks that are on it now.

Heinz Nordhoff
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks good ill try to get some pics of mine up today
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 60

Jump to: