Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just got one too in a trade with Jason. I'm kind of digging the yellow metalflake, and am thinking about a coat of future. But I have another model to finish first, and I'll post some pictures when it's done, but here's a teaser.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

lookin good
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Cold day today but I had the day off and finally some time to take and upload some photos:

My Samba Bus build.

Took a few tries to get the paint right. I finally surrendered on the belt line decals and painted the trim. Will use metal foil next time.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Revell Gypsy Dune Buggy.

Unusual Buggy and tough to find a pic of the real thing in the interwebs?

Finished with a nice Tamiya metalflake orange.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

very nice
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yes, very nice! Thanks for sharing those.

Here's a deal our model builders might be interested in:
http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/scm031.htm

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I have another model to finish first, and I'll post some pictures when it's done, but here's a teaser.

Well, models can take some time, and I finally wrapped up this one. I used the Union reissue of the old Industro Motive Corp. (IMC) Volkswagen 2-in-1 model kit, originally issued in 1967. I decided to build an early '70s mini-stock. These were mostly homebuilt race cars that were run on small asphalt or dirt track ovals, mainly in the Northeast, and had one or two local sponsors. I've never seen a model of one, so I decided to create one.

My car is based on no car in particular, but is a general representation of a mini-stock. I did read up on these cars in some old magazines, and learned the general engine limitations were stock displacement, stock valve size, and were limited to one two-barrel carb, or two singles. Otherwise, anything goes, including any cam and any compression ratio. I opted for dual single barrel carbs (one extra IMC carb and air cleaner).

I started with the Union reissue of the IMC VW.

I started by making a roll cage from old sprues and parts of roll cages.

Next I radiused the fenders, assembled the running gear, and test fit the body.

Dual carb engine installed. Note deep sump.

And into paint. Note I left portions unpainted. They would get a coat of Future later.

Final assembly starts.

The finished product! Final assembly included small details such as chrome trim, scratchbuilt bumpers, hometown sponsor decals and megaphone exhaust, tucked away out of the bump zone. Note I chopped the tops of the doors off, which was common practice.

With its 1960s engineering, the IMC can be a challenging kit to build, but once you learn its issues, it makes a great basis for almost any type of VW, and has the added benefit of all doors and lids opening.

Heinz Nordhoff
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice! I really need to get back into some modeling again. I should finish that Revell Beetle that I started back, in around 1987!!!
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow Greg, That one turned out fantastic!

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow - fantastic job, very nice, I have never seen that kit, I will have to look for it now,,,
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
wow - fantastic job, very nice, I have never seen that kit, I will have to look for it now,,,

Here is the original version. They turn up a lot on eBay. The reissue is harder to find. The main difference is the original is molded in red, and the chrome plating is not as good.

Heinz Nordhoff
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Italeri 1/35 Scale Kubelwagen Reply with quote

This is one that I built almost 20 years ago. It's the Italeri, 1/35th scale Kubelwagen. I just about completely re-built the entire kit at the time. There are a number of much better starting points today.

This build features a scratch-built mechanical starter device used to start tanks in cold weather. The gear box was temporarily fitted to a pair of posts bolted to the rear of Kubelwagen. A drive shaft was then inserted into a splined receiver on the gear box, and another receiver was temporarily fitted to the rear of the tank.

The starter was powered by the Kubelwagen engine from its hand-starter receiver. There were clutch and shifter mechanisms on the tank starter gear box that enabled the mechanic to turn the tank engine over, and once it was running, to disconnect the Kubelwagen from the tank.

This Kubel also features a double-pain piece in the inside of the windscreen intended to mitigate frost.

The markings are for the maintenance unit of a Panzer regiment of a Panzer Division.

SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Italeri 1/35th Scale Schwimwagen Reply with quote

This one dates back to about the same period as the Kubelwagen in the previous post. It's also based on the old Italeri 1/35th scale kit, and I even did more work on this one. Again, there are much (much!) better kits to start with today.

This Schwimmer is marked for the reconnaissance company of a mechanized infantry regiment of the Grossdeutschland Division, and is depicted as just having been beached after crossing a water obstacle.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

incredible detail, super nice, great work man!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That's the best I've seen in that small scale.

Heinz Nordhoff
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the props, Volkaholic and Blue Baron!

The Italeri kits were light years ahead of the Tamiya kits at that time, but since then, Tamiya and several other kit makers have released new kits in 1/35 that are orders of magnitude better still. The newer kits offer nearly as much detail as I put into these with much, much less work.

Both of these were fun to build, though, and they're probably as close as I'll ever get to owning one of the real things! LOL!

I still have one of the CMK Split Window "Kaefer" Typ 82E in 1/35 that I want to build one of these days (maybe kit bash with the engine and some suspension parts from the newer release Tamiya Kubel).

I've been thinking about doing that as one of the Bugs used in the German diplomatic mission that drove from Berlin to Afghanistan in 1942.

Anyways, thanks again for the kind words!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow – I’ve been away from this sticky for a few days and now it’s like an early Christmas. So many great builds in just a few days.

I love the Revell 58 Samba kit that Mellowslow built. Really nice job on paint and assembly. More picture please! Someday I hope to also build the 1958 version.

I remember trying to build the IMC 2-in-1 Volkswagen kit as a kid. It is definitely not for beginners, which is what I was at the time. I picked up a kit in the 90’s but I’ve yet to even consider opening the box let alone trying to build it. The mini-stock shown here is another inspiration, showing the imagination, quality, and attention to detail that we’ve come to expect from a Blue Baron production.

As for the Kubal and Swimwagen that SdAufKla built, what can I say? If it wasn’t for the display stand I’d swear it was a picture of the real thing! And speaking of the display stand, I can even see the tank tracks in the mud. Super nice!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It looks like Mellowslow built one of the new Revell Germany issues of the bus, and not the old '58. Here are a couple photos of the one in my collection. This was actually a restoration of a built kit.

The main issues with the IMC concern the fit of the doors, especially if you paint the body. You must sand down the edges of the doors a bit to compensate for the thickness of the paint. Another issue is the rear running gear tends to sit too far back, so the wheels don't center in the fenders. Also, the gasser version can have issues with the fit of the firewall (too wide), which needs to be narrowed slightly. All these issues can be addressed with a little tasty Dremel work.

I've seen your work, Jack1448, and an IMC/Union is one I'd like to see you tackle. Some of the great details on it include VW floormats, tiny VW emblems on the pedals, and even an owners manual in the map pocket!

I wish I could take credit for this one, but it was built by my buddy John, who is just getting back into models again after 15 years.

Heinz Nordhoff
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Found and ordered this on eBay. All of the details on the back of the box are in German, I'm not sure this model was even released in the US. Build photos to come...

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
It looks like Mellowslow built one of the new Revell Germany issues of the bus, and not the old '58.

I guess I should have realized that the front turn signals and bumpers were different from the old Revel kit ... must have been the excitement from seeing all these new builds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 60

Jump to: