Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manikmike wrote:
Quote:
Below is the GA engine curve which is essentially the Webcam 142. Keep in mind that exhaust systems play a big part in dumping the waste out so to keeps apples to apples one would need to test with the same exhausts. Humidty and temperature also play a part in peak numbers as do air to fuel ratios.

Are the 914 GA 2.0L apples, er - heads, the same as on a Bus GE 2.0L ?

The 914 2.0 heads make the differences along with elevated CR values. No matter the power that these engines make they have proven not to be optimum for Bus applications that are roughly twice as heavy as the 914 application they were developed for. The 914 GA and GC heads have proven to have the weakest chambers of all and are prone to cracks leading to terminal losses of cylinder heads. These heads crack even when used in the 914 application , powering a 2300 pound sports car with a 5 speed tranny.

What is needed for a perfect bus engine is a high speed port that breathes well, coupled to a camshaft that optimizes the port and a slightly altered compression ratio for added efficiency.

Nothing magical about the 914 spec engine in stock form.

BTW- When testing engines in the lab on different days in correction factors are employed to create an equal playing field for temperature and other atmospheric conditions. All that I do here is R&D work and trust me, I know what OFAT evaluations are all about.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manikmike wrote:
Quote:
Below is the GA engine curve which is essentially the Webcam 142. Keep in mind that exhaust systems play a big part in dumping the waste out so to keeps apples to apples one would need to test with the same exhausts. Humidty and temperature also play a part in peak numbers as do air to fuel ratios.

Are the 914 GA 2.0L apples, er - heads, the same as on a Bus GE 2.0L ?

the compression is 7.5:1 instead of 7.3:1 if I recall. The porting is similar. Jake is correct in that you don't build the bus engine the same as a lighter 914. That is why for buses I think the Web 142 is adequate unless one plans to step up and change the induction and exhaust. I think the mistake here is some folks building their first engines see the cam as a mystical device they can put in and presto all the problems are gone. The mystical device is the knowledge professionals carry in their heads about what combinations worked well together in different applications. I am not putting in a plug for Jake here but when you pay him $12,000 for a motor it it his knowledge you are paying for and his due dilegence at chosing the best parts which may include items not found in a stock engine.

You can find the right cam for your application but you can never find one cam that fits all applications. Honda developed the V-Tech engine for this reason. My RL has dual over head cams but each cam has two different sets of lobe profiles to select from. One profile is used at low speed and cruising and the other is a full bore 7 - 9K kick butt profile although the rev limiter cuts off the power at 7500 RPM. Electronic switches and hydraulic pressure switch as to which lobe profile the cam is using. Basically when I step on it I have near full power from idle to 7500 RPM because the second profile takes over when the first profile peaks out.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine combination starts at the air filter and continues all the way through to the tail pipe. Everything in between is what is defined as "The Engine" and thats what a 12,500.00 expenditure buys.

Every single component matters, but what matters more is how those components are applied together. "Its all in the combo".

Finding the combo takes over a decade.

BTW- I posted the comparative camshaft plots on our Facebook page here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rabys-Aircooled-Technology/46222961055

Will post to our forums later.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AYoung14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

I have a 1.8 Type IV engine that needs a cam replacement. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

Webcam 142 if stock with FI and smogged. If no smog tests the type4 store 9590 cam and lifters..
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

AYoung14 wrote:

I would never answer that question without first asking you what your purpose for this engine is going to be and what equipment is going to be on the engine.
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

either of the above two answers work well. Both the cams Bleyseng mention work well, I use the webcam 142. Sometimes I wonder if I am not losing a little torque on the top end in exchange for HP.

Colin wants to know more about your needs because the cam should be matched to how someone wants to use their engine. It should also be compatible with the intake and exhaust systems.
AYoung14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
AYoung14 wrote:

I would never answer that question without first asking you what your purpose for this engine is going to be and what equipment is going to be on the engine.
Colin

The 74 bay type IV 1800 1.8L is my daily driver. I'm on the freeway a lot so some added HP on the top end would be great.

As far as other equipment there are two options:
Keep everything stock 1.8
Leaning this way..

Or up the heads to Porsche 914 2.0L
Not familiar with the conversion specs from 1.8 T4 block + 2.0 heads

So what cam should I go if I keep it stock
What cam should I go if I up the heads to 2.0?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

I am not doing a very good job of explaining it. To get the extra HP on a single profile cam you usually have to turn the motor faster so you loose the power at the lower RPM's when the whole curve moves up. Think of it like this - if you tuned that motor to have 125 HP, it might have -0- HP when turned off but 125 HP at 8,500 RPM. What you probably want is max HP being delivered from 2000 - 5000 RPM, not max HP being delivered from 5,000 to 8,000 RPM. Your goal is to get into traffic quickly, stay there and climb hills quickly. You are not trying to be the fastest car around a track. If you were you would not pick a bus to drive. You have a heat disadvantage and you will go slower and lose HP when you detune your engine by lowering compression over a racing motor. To keep the engine cooler you will also throw away HP by running a little richer, and by lowering your timing a little.

Look at the dyno thread and pay attention to the graph for the Porsche 914 GA engine. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426641

The cam in the GA engine came in every GA engine so to Porsche that is a stock cam with a part number for the GA engine. If you walked into Porsche back in 1975 and asked for a stock cam for the European GA engine, it would not be the same stock cam part number or profile for a bus. The bus stock cam would have a different part number and profile. The Webcam 142 is the same profile as a stock GA cam. That is why webcam calls it a "stock" cam. It is a stock cam for a 914-4. It is NOT a stock bus cam. It delivers power in the 2,000 - 5,000 RPM range. If you owned a 914-4, or a 912e and wanted to go faster then there are other cams that would make you faster. But you own a heavy 4 speed bus, and not a light 914-4 5 speed. A higher performance street or racing cam for a 914-4 / 912e is going to be boggy at lower RPM's in a bus.

Look below - it is a snapshot of the 914 series engines. The green arrow is the 1.8L EC motor which is very close to the 66 hp bus 1.8L engine. Then look at the red arrow. It is the 2.0 GA motor. Notice that the power stays above the 1.8L all the way from idle to 5000 RPM. You don't want to buy another cam unless it has equal power to the cam you have now in lower RPM's and continues with more power at higher RPM's. One cam on the dyno link page gives a little more power at 5,000 RPM but when you look at the graph you will see it does so by being weaker at a lower RPM.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

Since this thread has resurfaced, and I'm the OP (has it been 4 years already?), I thought I might as well post a follow-up.

I went with the Web Cam 142 in a Headflow Masters engine with Adrian's modified heads and couldn't be happier. This engine combo has performed flawlessly, has plenty of power (I live in a mountainous region of Canada), and has not leaked a drop of oil since the day it was installed.

Thanks again for everyone's input and answers to my original questions!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
Since this thread has resurfaced, and I'm the OP (has it been 4 years already?), I thought I might as well post a follow-up.

I went with the Web Cam 142 in a Headflow Masters engine with Adrian's modified heads and couldn't be happier. This engine combo has performed flawlessly, has plenty of power (I live in a mountainous region of Canada), and has not leaked a drop of oil since the day it was installed.

Isn't that a great combination!
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:

Is your idle behavior consistent with Steve's description when he commented that the 142 has about 50 RPM worth of wander?

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:

Is your idle behavior consistent with Steve's description when he commented that the 142 has about 50 RPM worth of wander?

That's not something I noticed at all. The bus is parked for the winter right now or I could investigate this specifically, but if it was an issue I'm sure I would have noticed.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Web Cam stock (142) vs. 73 grind Reply with quote

Reviving this old ass thread as I am in a similar predicament.

Bought a bunch of 2L parts to build a spare engine for my 72.

Standard 2.0 case/crank and rods.

AMC 2L head castings. All hardware thrown out and reworked to 42/36 by Tabari. Step was cut out.

Im going to stick with the 94mm Mahle p/c set I have.

This engine will be a spare for a 72 Westy. I dont really ever spend anytime over 4500rpm. Usually cruise on the highway at 3800rpm.

Carbs will be dual Weber 40IDFs. Exhaust will most likely be stock heater boxes with a VS exhaust. Exhaust is somewhat up in the air.

Im running a 9590 on my 1.7L and Im satisfied with it so far. Got about 6k on it now. I dont know if I want to spend that much money on a cam for this 2L spare engine.

Im open to cams from Scat, EMW, Web, etc.....Im leaning towards the 142 based on what has been stated about the lower RPM peak, but I cant find where exactly that info is coming from.

Any suggesitons?

EDIT: scratch the webcam being cheaper comment....

9590 kit comes with cam, gear, and lifters for $525

Webcam cam is 293, lifters are 185, and the gear is 70.

So the 9590 is actually a little bit cheaper as a package than the webcam stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: