Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

I plan on installing a steering damper on my 57 Oval and a friend pointed me to the technical bulletin “Hydraulic Steering Damper” in the Technical/Instructional Manuals Section. Is shows the installation of a Steering Damper kit for earlier year cars without the bracket on the beam. Has anyone used the bracket or better yet, know where to find one? There are a couple of aftermarket brackets made for the same purpose, but I was hoping to find one like the bulletin shows. I will post a WTB but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

Picture?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

Yeah, how about posting the contents of the technical bulletin also? Not sure I've seen that one about adding the kit to a beam without the bracket...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/v1.php
Do you mean this?
Bracket part number 111 415 921
I used the bracket in my Oval '53 when I installed a steering damper some 45 years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

Ovally - yes that is it. Thanks for posting. I added a page from the technical bulletin and a few steps on how to find it on TheSamba.

The bulletin can be found by:

1. Clicking on Technical at the top of the page
2. Scroll down to Technical Instruction Manuals
3. Click on technical bulletins
4. Click on Front Axel and Steering

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

Ovally - why did you add the damper, and did it make a difference?
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

i have no real clue . but the part your looking for looks sorta familiar ..... i have these available and thought you could fabricate the other part if your handy Smile these fit the trans axles for brake lines , but look about the same size as the front beam .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2627558
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

2067Bug wrote:
Ovally - why did you add the damper, and did it make a difference?

We had a lot of roads in bad shape here.
The steering damper is a great improvement to eliminate bump steer.
It also makes me feel safer on any road.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Damper Technical Bulletin Reply with quote

my3bugs - thanks for offer. I posted a WTB and let's see if someone has the original part. If not, there is steering damper bracket made by Limebug that should work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: