Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage USA origin plate
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Vintage USA origin plate Reply with quote

So I've been wanting for one of these for years and never even seen one for sale. Seems nobody makes them anymore, just D plates. I like the D plates but always wanted USA instead. I was talking with dad yesterday and he starts talking about the old origin plate he got in Sicily in '62 and how he might still have it in the shed. He was in the Navy at the time, and renting a car. As he was leaving the lot the owner stopped him and said he almost forgot, he had to put a plate on the car. Dad said there's already a plate. Guy says No, a special plate for you. So you won't get stopped. Dad says stopped by who? The guy says...the mafioso. They love Americans, this way they won't bother you.

I had it in hand in less than ten minutes, jackpot! It's stamped steel, heavy too, it's fairly thick. There's no marks or stamps on the back whatsoever.
I may see about washing the front a little bit especially the brown crud, but it has some nice wear on it, not too excessive, but definitely old.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock SP, Bosch vac advance
30PICT-3 swapped to a 30PICT-1

"At least I know that I don't know. Question is are you bozos smart enough to feel stupid? Hope so"

durhamfirecaptain wrote:
Wow, we have VW's in North Carolina?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I like it.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dear friend of mine added my USA plate to Blauchen this past weekend....... Smile

The plate was made by WEGU of Germany, who also made the very rare mounting base I have in the photo.

I've been collecting since 1986 and I've seen this plate maybe three times, counting yours four now, it is pretty rare and most people don't even know that their out there.
They were mounted on privately owned vehicles driven by members of the US Forces in Europe, (ca. 1955 to 1970) after that the American's added sticker versions of the USA plate to their cars.

It's a nice find congratulations, some Simple Green will clean that right up! Very Happy

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately i have no cool story with my USA origin plate, got mine off Ebay, I've seen a few others since, They don't come up often but they're out there.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:
unfortunately i have no cool story with my USA origin plate, got mine off Ebay, I've seen a few others since, They don't come up often but they're out there.

Your Split Window Beetle is looking good!!! Smile

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: